Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Pilot EXL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share my results after putting BF Goodrich K02s 255/70R17 on my 2022 EXL AWD Pilot.

I'm running Sport Terrain TK11 rims, 17x8 with a +45mm offset.

I was nervous about running a 31" tire, but so far there has been no rubbing. That being said, the gap between the front wheel well and tires at full lock is tiny. I suspect under compression it will rub. Though that shouldn't happen too often. It doesn't rub at full lock when pulling in/out of the drive way and going over a curb, which induces some minor compression.

The ride does not seem to have changed that much. My wife drives the car most days and has yet to notice any change in ride quality. Acceleration feels the same as before. So far, I'm super happy with the outcome. Looks far more aggressive and gave a good inch increase to my overall ground clearance.

Stock VS K02s
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Over all new look:
Wheel Tire Car Window Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate

Clearance on new tires. (It's not much) Front wheel, back of the wheel well:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Watch Wheel Automotive tire Tire Hood

Clearance at the front of the front wheel well:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Sleeve Gesture Finger Nail Thumb

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looks awesome! Any rub backing up left or right at ful lock? I have 245/70R17 tires on 17x8 with 38mm offset. I did have a very slight rub before and after 2 inch lift but mostly when back up at full lock. Looks like you might be doing better with 45 offset.

·
Registered
2022 Pilot EXL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks awesome! Any rub backing up left or right at ful lock? I have 245/70R17 tires on 17x8 with 38mm offset. I did have a very slight rub before and after 2 inch lift but mostly when back up at full lock. Looks like you might be doing better with 45 offset.
I tried backing up and so far no rub. Once it's been driven for a while I'll check if there's any signs of run on the wheel well, but so far I can't hear or feel anything, and I can barely get my hands around the tire at full lock. I know that K02s have a reputation for running a bit small too, so that could account for it. I do think the offset helps. I tried to find a good looking rim that put me as close to factory as possible, which I think is +50... I think.

Also, I really enjoyed your posts about your Pilot while researching what to get, so thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I tried backing up and so far no rub. Once it's been driven for a while I'll check if there's any signs of run on the wheel well, but so far I can't hear or feel anything, and I can barely get my hands around the tire at full lock. I know that K02s have a reputation for running a bit small too, so that could account for it. I do think the offset helps. I tried to find a good looking rim that put me as close to factory as possible, which I think is +50... I think.

Also, I really enjoyed your posts about your Pilot while researching what to get, so thanks.
Did MPGs drop a little with wider and heavier tires? I tried to stay close in weight to stock, so Coopers were my primary choice because of that.

·
Registered
2022 Pilot EXL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did MPGs drop a little with wider and heavier tires? I tried to stay close in weight to stock, so Coopers were my primary choice because of that.
I haven't noticed, but I put these tires on 2 weeks after buying the car, and it's my wife's daily driver, so I don't have a good sense of what her MPG was before. I certainly imagine it will drop as the tires/wheels are certainly heaver than stock. Though, at the same time, the wheel is now covering more ground in a single rotation, but the odometer doesn't know that, so that will need to be taken into account when measuring MPG.

Did you see MPG change with your tires?

Also, how are you liking your lift? You have the Traxda 2" right? Does the alignment stay good, any issues with the CV joints? A lift is something I'd like to get down the road.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tough to answer the MPG question. My first set of tires was 245/70R17 set of Blizzaks before the lift. I did not see anything noticeable on the computer reported MPG calculation, MPGs seemed about the same during my commute but i never did a true calculation using GPS and gallons pumped at the gas station. It is +1 size tire but the 17 inch disks are lighter than stock so together it is probably same weight. Tires are just a few lbs heavier than the stock so the weight gain in tires is offset in disc loss. What I did noticed with a larger tire is that the transmission holds the lower gear longer since teh computer thinks it is going slower than it actually does. The car has more power because of this but it does impact MPGs. That said, I learned to ease up on the accelerator to let the transmission switch to a higher gear faster. I honestly wish the was a way to adjust the computer to account for larger tire. I can see myself going to 255/70R17 or 32 inch tire. It could fit with either axle relocation kit or with some cutting.

After I got the lift, I noticed that the car used 9th gear a lot less frequently on the highway at 60 MPH or higher. It does switch to 9th gear on flat terrain and under 70 MPH. I think the air drag from the lift impacts fuel economy more than the tire size.

That said, my average MPG as calculated by the computer is now 21.5 vs 22.0 I used to have with my commute. I still get 27 mpg on long stretches of highway if i keep it under 70 MPH. But I no longer can get 28 as I used to.

I went with 17 inch discs that have 38mm offset, so tire stick out 7 mm more than stock, which contributed to increased stability while offsetting the loss of stability due to the 2 inch lift. The car still corners well and the lean in the corners increased just marginally. It was barely noticeable right after the lift. I am used to the car now so i don't notice it anymore.

The car is noticeably higher now and i enjoy that as getting into the car is more convenient for a guy at 5'11.

I started doing a lot more offroading now that I have 10 inches of ground clearance. It was a welcome upgrade. That and getting a tire with a higher sidewall. 70 vs 50 allows me to drop air pressure down to 22-24 PSi and that makes offroading much more smoother and enjoyable.

I have about 10,000 miles on the lift. No issues noted yet even with some serious offroading. I know the issues will come but more likely due to offroading rather than the lift itself. Time will tell.

I wish sometimes I had installed 3.5 lift. Just because there was barely any impact to the car's handling. At this point, I have a car that does all I need it to do for the time being. As my offroading needs progress, i will probably trade the car in for either a new generation of the 4Runner, Wrangler or Bronco in that order:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts