Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why not? GM's reputation for terrible quality isn't exactly classified information, even on their trophy vehicles including the Corvette.
GM 3.6L are bad at leaking oil into the plug boot sleeves because they press into the heads. If they start leaking, the heads need replaced due to oil shorting out the coils causing miss fires.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
244 Posts
GM 3.6L are bad at leaking oil into the plug boot sleeves because they press into the heads. If they start leaking, the heads need replaced due to oil shorting out the coils causing miss fires.
Wonderful. So much for considering a Colorado.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I think that was a very early issue, on the Traverse forum I haven't seen anyone with that particular issue in 3 years and those date back to '09.

The 3.6 certainly has had its foibles over the years, but it's a pretty solid engine after the early pains. And don't be fooled, the 3.6s that are in vehicles now are either 3rd or 4th gen, and this isn't like the J series where it's minor revisions these are major revisions like bore spacing and crank journal sizing that changed through the generations.

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The Colorado has a very stout version of the 3.6, the weakest link in them is the 8 speed being a pretty lazy transmission but the tunes wake that right up.

The 3.6 in the Colorado has the kind of oil separator setup that would make the PCV/Catch Can purists on this forum all warm and fuzzy. And that's after the 3.6 hasn't been known to burn oil since '10 or so when they made some revisions to the PCV orifice size and revised the oil spec to synthetic only.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
244 Posts
The Colorado has a very stout version of the 3.6, the weakest link in them is the 8 speed being a pretty lazy transmission but the tunes wake that right up.

The 3.6 in the Colorado has the kind of oil separator setup that would make the PCV/Catch Can purists on this forum all warm and fuzzy. And that's after the 3.6 hasn't been known to burn oil since '10 or so when they made some revisions to the PCV orifice size and revised the oil spec to synthetic only.
I thought GM switched fluid to cure hard shifting on the 8 speeds that were produced before a certain date and that was the "fix". It's good to know the 3.6 in the twins is a good one. I like the looks of the Canyon AT4. I'll be waiting for a while to see if they can rebuild any inventory; there's no way I'll pay sticker price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The one I was working on was a 2010-12 Acadia. Also. If you get a new one. The Wireless phone Chargers are to small for newer cell phones that have that capability. My phone is a LG V40 thin Q. And it is way to big for the wireless charger.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I thought GM switched fluid to cure hard shifting on the 8 speeds that were produced before a certain date and that was the "fix". It's good to know the 3.6 in the twins is a good one. I like the looks of the Canyon AT4. I'll be waiting for a while to see if they can rebuild any inventory; there's no way I'll pay sticker price.
Yes, the magical Mobil Synthetic LV ATF HP has been universally loved, many GM owners are replacing Dex VI with this fluid with great results but it doesn't directly say it's backwards compatible, so I haven't used it in my Traverse's 6T75 yet. It does a great job firming up lazy shifts and getting rid of torque converter chatter/vibrations. @Nail Grease - what's your take on this fluid?

The one I was working on was a 2010-12 Acadia. Also. If you get a new one. The Wireless phone Chargers are to small for newer cell phones that have that capability. My phone is a LG V40 thin Q. And it is way to big for the wireless charger.
Yup, that's the pre-facelift for the Lambda platform. 2013 and up they revised the PCV system, mandated synthetic oil and enlarged the passages for the timing chain lubrication ports among many other minor revisions. Really, the biggest issue I've seen with post '13 Lambdas is the HVAC system, apparently the blower motor or something can shed particles that damage the evaporator cores and replacing most of the system for the front and rear is a several thousand dollar repair.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Yes, the magical Mobil Synthetic LV ATF HP has been universally loved, many GM owners are replacing Dex VI with this fluid with great results but it doesn't directly say it's backwards compatible, so I haven't used it in my Traverse's 6T75 yet. It does a great job firming up lazy shifts and getting rid of torque converter chatter/vibrations. @Nail Grease - what's your take on this fluid?

View attachment 149517
Here is the spec sheet on it.

What's interesting is it's competitor Pennzoil, they make the claim that their LV is compatible for Honda, excluding the 9-speed.

Attachments

Reactions: cintocrunch
41 - 51 of 51 Posts