Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buick released the official pics and some info on the 2022 Enclave, the refresh for the 2nd gen. We actually preferred an Enclave over the Traverse and I quite liked the 2nd gen. The interior, to me, is still quite a bit nicer than anything else in this class (it's within spitting distance of most of the Pilots trim levels, it may touch the MDX in top spec Avenir with the all options).

The front end just doesn't look right to me. I don't really care for the headlights being down in the bumper and there are a lot of shapes, colors, creases that make it look strange compared to the nice flowing curves of the rest of the vehicle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would not touch a GM car with a 10 foot pole without 100K extended warranty. It will be more luxurious and posh than any Pilot trim and honestly, all Acura trims. Cadillac ride included, if you are into that sort of thing. Sporty it won't be. I was a big fan of previous generations, this one looks ugly (no offense). I would most likely go for Acura or Lexus or Benz/BMW. Kia has some killer options. I think the styling on this model is a huge miss.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Lol I'm by no means a GM enthusiast but I think they make fine cars and know a lot of people who have had great experiences.

I think it looks similar to other SUVs in the same class.

I am stuck with Honda/Acura/Lexus/Toyota because I don't want to find a new mechanic.:LOL:

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I wouldn't knock this vehicle.
Is the oil filter mounted horizontally like the Acadia? 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not touch a GM car with a 10 foot pole without 100K extended warranty. It will be more luxurious and posh than any Pilot trim and honestly, all Acura trims. Cadillac ride included, if you are into that sort of thing. Sporty it won't be. I was a big fan of previous generations, this one looks ugly (no offense). I would most likely go for Acura or Lexus or Benz/BMW. Kia has some killer options. I think the styling on this model is a huge miss.
Definitely not sporty at all, but extremely comfortable for sure. We loved the 1st gen and really wanted one, which is how we landed on our '14 Traverse when we found such a good deal. It's been good to us but I definitely am more wary than with the Pilot.

Also, I am not offended since I did not design the vehicle. I think the front end is a mess while I do like the side profile and rear. The front needed a really clean and classy front end to go with the rest of the car. A big miss for Buick.

Lol I'm by no means a GM enthusiast but I think they make fine cars and know a lot of people who have had great experiences.

I think it looks similar to other SUVs in the same class.

I am stuck with Honda/Acura/Lexus/Toyota because I don't want to find a new mechanic.:LOL:
Nothing wrong with that! I am my mechanic so part of me enjoys working on different vehicles haha.

Yup that version of GM's 3.6 (LFY) in transverse applications has it mounted that way. On the older LLT in my Traverse has it in a similar location but it is angled slightly up, so not as much of a mess during a change.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Buick released the official pics and some info on the 2022 Enclave, the refresh for the 2nd gen.
The front end just doesn't look right to me. I don't really care for the headlights being down in the bumper and there are a lot of shapes, colors, creases that make it look strange compared to the nice flowing curves of the rest of the vehicle.
Would you prefer this?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
With increasing lease sales, I wonder if manufacturers will neglect reliability?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Doesn't look terrible. Looks sort of like if a Mazda CX5 boned a 3rd Gen Pilot. The lower positioned lights will probably not reflect as well on street signs at night.
Regarding reliability, I mean, it's all relative. I bought a Honda because they're supposed to be very reliable, but go through these forums and so many people with 2016 and 2017 3rd Gens here report issues...it seems so bad it almost makes you not want to buy one. Also imagine buying a new car and the first thing they tell you do do on these forums is to buy a $100 mod to disable a feature that may blow up your engine 7 years down the road.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,305 Posts
With increasing lease sales, I wonder if manufacturers will neglect reliability?
Interesting thought, but with the issue BMW had a few years ago with their lease vehicles I doubt it.

That is why all BMW leases now come with basic service included. They got tired of the BMW certified used vehicles that had been leased vehicles coming back with bad engines. Seems the leasers didn't like paying for that high priced BMW service costs so they just didn't bother to change the oil, filter etc over the entirety of the lease.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
Interesting thought, but with the issue BMW had a few years ago with their lease vehicles I doubt it.

That is why all BMW leases now come with basic service included. They got tired of the BMW certified used vehicles that had been leased vehicles coming back with bad engines. Seems the leasers didn't like paying for that high priced BMW service costs so they just didn't bother to change the oil, filter etc over the entirety of the lease.
ouch!!!!
Of I ever get a BMW, I’ll pick it up from the factory in SC. I’m close to the factory every few weeks..

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,305 Posts
ouch!!!!
Of I ever get a BMW, I’ll pick it up from the factory in SC. I’m close to the factory every few weeks..
Yeah......It's also the reason I chuckle to myself when someone gets on here and complains about $1200 for a timing belt service/plugs etc. at 105K miles. Over a 3 year lease on a BMW you would probably pay more than that for standard on time service. BMW was loosing more than than $1200 on their Certified used BMW's that came from leases. Lots more.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would you prefer this?

Yes! I quite like that look.

I don't know how common it is to lease vs. buy Enclaves. Certainly possibly.

Doesn't look terrible. Looks sort of like if a Mazda CX5 boned a 3rd Gen Pilot. The lower positioned lights will probably not reflect as well on street signs at night.
Regarding reliability, I mean, it's all relative. I bought a Honda because they're supposed to be very reliable, but go through these forums and so many people with 2016 and 2017 3rd Gens here report issues...it seems so bad it almost makes you not want to buy one. Also imagine buying a new car and the first thing they tell you do do on these forums is to buy a $100 mod to disable a feature that may blow up your engine 7 years down the road.
Many manufacturers are doing a cylinder shutdown technology and people want to disable it. Same with start/stop. I don't let this deter me but I like to know going in.

ouch!!!!
I have family that works at the BMW and the nearby ZF plant... one of them is in some sort of management position so whenever they come up to visit he always has a different brand new BMW or Mini he's driving.

Yeah......It's also the reason I chuckle to myself when someone gets on here and complains about $1200 for a timing belt service/plugs etc. at 105K miles. Over a 3 year lease on a BMW you would probably pay more than that for standard on time service. BMW was loosing more than than $1200 on their Certified used BMW's that came from leases. Lots more.
But in its competitive set, the Pilot really is one of the highest maintenance cost for that reason. Almost everything else uses chains and if you strictly look at maintenance items it is a tough pill to swallow. And most people have no idea going into the purchase and are understandably upset when they find out. $1,200 is a lot of money to young families especially when they didn't plan for it. I'm not totally excusing it but I do understand how it happens.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
But in its competitive set, the Pilot really is one of the highest maintenance cost for that reason. Almost everything else uses chains and if you strictly look at maintenance items it is a tough pill to swallow. And most people have no idea going into the purchase and are understandably upset when they find out. $1,200 is a lot of money to young families especially when they didn't plan for it. I'm not totally excusing it but I do understand how it happens.
I think that people use the $1,200 cost as an excuse to get a new car. That's why you see a lot of Pilots up for sale right around the time the service is due.

I see my vehicles as an investment. Not that they are appreciating, but they provide tremendous value to me. They take me to work, vacation, etc. The $1,000 I spent to have the timing belt replaced is just part of owning a car and will ensure that the engine won't blow up for the next 4 years or so.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that people use the $1,200 cost as an excuse to get a new car. That's why you see a lot of Pilots up for sale right around the time the service is due.

I see my vehicles as an investment. Not that they are appreciating, but they provide tremendous value to me. They take me to work, vacation, etc. The $1,000 I spent to have the timing belt replaced is just part of owning a car and will ensure that the engine won't blow up for the next 4 years or so.
I think you nailed it... How often do we see the "I am looking at a Pilot with 100k on it" or "I just bought a Pilot with 115k" but whenever we ask about timing belts nobody knows if it's been done.

We needed a truly usable 3rd row. My wife loved the captains chairs in the Enclaves we were looking at since my oldest is a heckler of her little sisters, but we ended up in the Pilot at that time. A year later we stumbled on my Traverse with captains chairs on a great deal. We regularly put adults in the 3rd row that are under 6' tall. We looked at the Highlander, CX-9 and (at the time 3 row) Santa Fe. We didn't get much past peeking in the windows and seeing how small the 3rd row was, my wife didn't even want to open the door or take them for a drive haha.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
244 Posts
Why not? GM's reputation for terrible quality isn't exactly classified information, even on their trophy vehicles including the Corvette.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why not? GM's reputation for terrible quality isn't exactly classified information, even on their trophy vehicles including the Corvette.
Yep and then be ready to dump it at about 98,000 miles.
They worked hard for that reputation haha...

I picked up our Traverse with 80k on it, at 118k now and in the last year it has done MD to Orlando and MD to Cincinnati with aplomb. I know there are some potentially scary problems that are not uncommon but ours has been excellent and I hope it continues to be.

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Isn't that their fault for not keeping some funds in reserve to cover the cost of vehicle maintenance?
They also get taken in by car salesmen who ask what monthly payment can you afford and who tell them that their trade-in will cover the down payment, so we can put you behind the wheel of this brand new 2021 Whateveritiz, today.
The wife is happy because she gets to drive a new vehicle and show it off to the other moms at the soccer field, while the husband is happy because his wife is happy.
Neither one is thinking about the day, 7-years/105K-miles from now, when the major service is due.
They probably don't imagine keeping the vehicle that long.

Spend $1,200 on a timing belt job and you have nothing to show for it.
Who ever asked if you want to see their new timing belt? Trust me, she's a real beauty.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Well for one it doesn't have a CVT transmission.

Reactions: bdozer1965
1 - 20 of 51 Posts