Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend the vehicle lurched hard while sitting at a stop light, gave us warning messages about the emission system, transmission system, blind spot monitoring, and tire pressure monitoring. The light turned green and even though it was still running it would not drive. We shut it off, restarted it and it drove in first gear and would not shift. We pulled it into a parking lot, called roadside assistance and they towed it to the dealership.

We get called yesterday to come pick it up, they said they ran full diagnostic and took it for a 16 mile drive without issue.

This morning my wife doesn’t even make it out of our drive when she calls and tells me it won’t go. She takes our other vehicle and goes on to work.

I go start the Pilot to see for myself what is going on. It goes in reverse fine but forward feels like the emergency brake is on, even though it is not. Called roadside assistance again and they towed it back to the dealership again.

First breakdown 589 miles, second breakdown 639 miles. Anyone else have a similar experience out there?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Last weekend the vehicle lurched hard while sitting at a stop light, gave us warning messages about the emission system, transmission system, blind spot monitoring, and tire pressure monitoring. The light turned green and even though it was still running it would not drive. We shut it off, restarted it and it drove in first gear and would not shift. We pulled it into a parking lot, called roadside assistance and they towed it to the dealership.

We get called yesterday to come pick it up, they said they ran full diagnostic and took it for a 16 mile drive without issue.

This morning my wife doesn’t even make it out of our drive when she calls and tells me it won’t go. She takes our other vehicle and goes on to work.

I go start the Pilot to see for myself what is going on. It goes in reverse fine but forward feels like the emergency brake is on, even though it is not. Called roadside assistance again and they towed it back to the dealership again.

First breakdown 589 miles, second breakdown 639 miles. Anyone else have a similar experience out there?
Wow ... if they tell you again it's fine, tell them good, keep it and give you a new different one. That's rediculous, not to mention unsafe.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
That's a lot of stuff failing at once almost like a major electrical ground fault or wiring harness issue. There would have been trouble codes stored, but with that much glitching at the same time it's almost meaningless.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a lot of stuff failing at once almost like a major electrical ground fault or wiring harness issue. There would have been trouble codes stored, but with that much glitching at the same time it's almost meaningless.
The dealership says no stored codes. Not throwing any codes now but still not driving right. They have been sending data to the engineers in Japan.

Fully aware of the lemon law in Tennessee, just not ready to go that route yet.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
not sure how many Japanese engineers involved in the design and development of the Pilot. I’d make it perfectly obvious in a positive manner that the car needs to be replaced by another.
A little sugar with dealer goes a long way towards getting the help you need.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The dealership says no stored codes. Not throwing any codes now but still not driving right. They have been sending data to the engineers in Japan.

Fully aware of the lemon law in Tennessee, just not ready to go that route yet.
This is a delicate situation. (Unless the lemon law is documented) On one hand I agree that it might not be a good idea to immediately become heavy handed with the dealer. (Even though your situation is infuriating!)

That being said, I call Bullsh*t on them sending data to engineers in Japan. They would be communicating with Honda North America,.......Your situation is further complicated in that it seems as though they're already feeding you a line of bologna.

I wish you could just get another vehicle and the dealer and Honda North America can sort out the details.

Please keep us informed as this progresses.

Good luck,

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
You can contact Honda North America directly about this.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Wow ... if they tell you again it's fine, tell them good, keep it and give you a new different one. That's rediculous, not to mention unsafe.
Reminds me.
We bought our current 08 SE FWD new from the dealer in 08.
On our first drive home from the dealer, the A/C quit blowing cold. I tried all the gauges, etc. Nope.'
I called the dealer and told them to come pick it up. If they had another brand new, Silver SE to bring that one and I'd trade.

They did it! Still driving that one, now 189K miles- little if any problems with it.

I wasn't putting up with that crap on a brand new vehicle I had just drove home. It was in June, in/near Houston TX.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Reminds me.
We bought our current 08 SE FWD new from the dealer in 08.
On our first drive home from the dealer, the A/C quit blowing cold. I tried all the gauges, etc. Nope.'
I called the dealer and told them to come pick it up. If they had another brand new, Silver SE to bring that one and I'd trade.

They did it! Still driving that one, now 189K miles- little if any problems with it.

I wasn't putting up with that crap on a brand new vehicle I had just drove home. It was in June, in/near Houston TX.
Good for you. You must have charmed the dealer with your great personaility. They probably took your original car, put a block of ice in the evaporator and sold it to the next bad a$$ customer that gave them a hard time on price.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
Might be worth buying a code reader/ scanner so that when it happens you can pull the codes.

This is a lightening deal today on Amazon.

Edit to add: "After reading the reviews there is a charge for the app that corresponds with that unit. Based on the reviews the cost is $10 but all in for $20, not a bad deal.

Maybe some folks can share what they use to pull codes."

Also I strongly suggest to video record issues as they happen. If they can't duplicate it and there is a recording they can't say it didn't happen. Record it every time so that there is clear documentation.

You'll find the service manager will be more aggressive to solve the problem or you can offer to write a dealer review and include the YouTube video of the issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great advice Highspeedbail,
I agree, given the hassle that you may be in for a higher end OBD2 scanner may be in order. And recording issues will be very handy in the event that the dealer doesn't quickly recognize the right way to handle a customer with a brand new car having these kinds of issues.

I hope you get this resolved quickly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got called today, they still don’t know why it’s doing what it’s doing. They are going to have to keep it a while longer as they have decided to replace the transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Might be worth buying a code reader/ scanner so that when it happens you can pull the codes.

This is a lightening deal today on Amazon.

Edit to add: "After reading the reviews there is a charge for the app that corresponds with that unit. Based on the reviews the cost is $10 but all in for $20, not a bad deal.

Maybe some folks can share what they use to pull codes."

Also I strongly suggest to video record issues as they happen. If they can't duplicate it and there is a recording they can't say it didn't happen. Record it every time so that there is clear documentation.

You'll find the service manager will be more aggressive to solve the problem or you can offer to write a dealer review and include the YouTube video of the issue.
Weird part is they are saying they had a code the first time but after they cleared it it hasn’t thrown another code

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
They are going to have to keep it a while longer as they have decided to replace the transmission.
Your transmission was definitely in "limp" mode based on what you described, but that could be for many other reasons than the transmission itself. Blind spot monitoring and tire pressure monitoring fault messages don't share much in common with transmission control. Curious about the outcome on this. Something seems really "off" here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your transmission was definitely in "limp" mode based on what you described, but that could be for many other reasons than the transmission itself. Blind spot monitoring and tire pressure monitoring fault messages don't share much in common with transmission control. Curious about the outcome on this. Something seems really "off" here.
That’s what I was thinking, I was thinking the ECM or the like with all the errors. I just want what we are paying for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update, STILL waiting. This whole experience has been terrible. Not at all what I expect when buying a Honda.
Our first Honda was a new 2015 Honda Fit, then we bought our 05 Pilot a couple months later for 5k cash. Traded in the Fit with 138k miles on it in 18 on a new CR-V.
Traded in the CR-V with 90k miles for the 21 Pilot and bought an 18 Civic EX Hatchback outright on the same day at the same dealership, the Civic has been amazing the new Pilot... well...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We still have the 05 Pilot which had 110k when we bought it has 246k now. Has never left us on the side of the road. But the old gal is showing her age, the heat doesn’t work it’s stuck on max AC bad air mix motor. It needs a little love to keep it going and rather than put a bunch of money in it we decided to get a new one. Starting to think I should have just fixed all the stuff on the old one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It sounds like you got the Extra Special Edition. Sorry you're dealing with all of this. It might be time to ask for a meeting with the dealership owner/GM and discuss trading your Pilot for one that works. It's not reasonable for them to expect you to continue to deal with this, and I have a feeling that the more patient you are with this, the more they'll take advantage of that patience.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Regardless if a customer buys a well used car or a top of the line model, your money does not purchase any loyalty from a dealership, they'll grab and stab for every last dollar that they can squeeze out of you. (With a smile no less!)

I've heard it said that true character shows up in times of adversity,....Yeah.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts