Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. Hope everyone is well. We recently bought a 2021 Pilot over the new Highlander. We've always been a toyota family but the interior of the highlander is just to small. We looked at the pilot and instantly loved it. The pilot drives great on smooth roads but once I hit imperfections in the road, thats a different story. I currently have the 20" rims. Anyone else having this same issue?

·
Registered
9,715 Posts

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum. Hope everyone is well. We recently bought a 2021 Pilot over the new Highlander. We've always been a toyota family but the interior of the highlander is just to small. We looked at the pilot and instantly loved it. The pilot drives great on smooth roads but once I hit imperfections in the road, thats a different story. I currently have the 20" rims. Anyone else having this same issue?
What exactly is your problem? Is it too rough? Too floaty? Too much vertical motion (pogo)? Doesn't settle down quick enough?

Did you test drive the vehicle before buying it? I haven't driven a 3rd gen but our 2nd gen has a pretty smooth ride, it has some excessive vertical motion (pogo) that the Traverse we have does not exhibit.

Also, what vehicle did you come from? Generally 3 row crossovers have a compliant but not floaty ride so unless you had an old Town Car or something that was like riding on a cloud I'm a little surprised.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a 2019 Touring with 20 inch wheels and Continental tires. The only issue I had with the suspension is that it was noisy. It's like the engineers skipped on some sound insulation. Obviously, try different tire pressure. Maybe go one psi below what's on the door?

I bought a set of 17 inch dedicated wheels for winter tires. I now switched winter rubber for a set of AT tires and both helped to make the ride more enjoyable due to more air in the tire. That said, you can probably get away with riding 33 or even 32 PSI instead of 34 to make the ride more enjoyable. It depends what you prefer. Lower P
SI will not make the ride quieter though.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Just swap for a 4 runner and be done with it :)

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Just swap for a 4 runner and be done with it :)
I like the way a 4Runner drives but they are not smoother than a Pilot outside of the TRD Pro with the expensive shocks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Honda uses Amplitude Reactive Dampers. The ARDs are designed to change damping as the shock is compressed. This is a passive system, no active controls are used. It’s designed to provide a smoother ride while traveling straight but increase damping in a turn to control body roll. I notice the harshness at low speed traveling on rough roads. I think it’s the dampers reacting to the suspension travel in those conditions. I would go back to your dealer and ask to test drive another Pilot with 20” wheels to compare. You could have a faulty damper.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot SE
44 Posts
Same here, hard dumping sound at lower speeds(annoys the hell out of me), I've talk to tire shop guy and he said its tires (continental) He said they put some kind of cheap new vehicle tires and he might be right because on all my new vehicles the new tires that comes with didn't last long and after replacing them it made huge difference even tho it was exactly same brand and type of tires . We shall see what happens, I thought I would swap for 18" rims and be done with it but he said it's tires. Also my daughter have 17 accord SE with 19" rims, same harsh ride, ride is better on winter 17" wheels tho.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot SE
44 Posts
I have a 2019 Touring with 20 inch wheels and Continental tires. The only issue I had with the suspension is that it was noisy. It's like the engineers skipped on some sound insulation. Obviously, try different tire pressure. Maybe go one psi below what's on the door?

I bought a set of 17 inch dedicated wheels for winter tires. I now switched winter rubber for a set of AT tires and both helped to make the ride more enjoyable due to more air in the tire. That said, you can probably get away with riding 33 or even 32 PSI instead of 34 to make the ride more enjoyable. It depends what you prefer. Lower P View attachment 147140 SI will not make the ride quieter though.
Love your rims ! can you please provide more details on them ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
We considered the Highlander too, but have been a Honda family since '89 and couldn't go to the dark side.

We looked at both the previous and current generation Highlander's and I will say that both have more a floaty ride than my 2021 SE AWD. But just like the original poster the interior space won us over.
The 20s offer a sporty ride but I hear they are an improvement over some previous offerings (not sure if that's true or not) but this is a lot smoother than my 2015 CRv and accord

·
Registered
193 Posts
Same here, hard dumping sound at lower speeds(annoys the hell out of me), I've talk to tire shop guy and he said its tires (continental) He said they put some kind of cheap new vehicle tires and he might be right because on all my new vehicles the new tires that comes with didn't last long and after replacing them it made huge difference even tho it was exactly same brand and type of tires . We shall see what happens, I thought I would swap for 18" rims and be done with it but he said it's tires. Also my daughter have 17 accord SE with 19" rims, same harsh ride, ride is better on winter 17" wheels tho.
So, there something to be said about tires. For the most part, Continentals get the job done even in Seattle rain. But I don't think they will last long based on what I am seeing.

Blizzaks on 17 inch wheels are much quiter. The Discoverer AT3 S4 tires I have on right now somehow are quiter still. Quiet for a tire, suspension is still comparatively loud. I somehow didn't catch that on the test drive. I just likes how the car drove and everything else about the Pilot.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I like the way a 4Runner drives but they are not smoother than a Pilot outside of the TRD Pro with the expensive shocks.
true BUT it does have a I have balls don't mess with me look ..that ruggedness that you can make with it ..is totally worth the while. where the Pilot ..well it's more a its just for show and you run away from anything :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts