·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Is it still FWD/transverse motor w/ a Pseudo- 4WD rear?
Is it still unibody?
I'm sure it's a nice vehicle.
I rest my case.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Honda should've had this design from the start of this generation. I think the pre refresh looks great too, but this looks more rugged. I just wish it had the full LED lights like the Pilot and Passport does on higher trims. I just hope it has the new infotainment which it most probably will have. It's so much better to look at compared to the old one.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Never was a fan but it seemed to be really popular to people who wanted a truck but didn’t want a full F-150/Silverado type.

it’s a pilot with the third row chopped off. Not heavy duty in the slightest.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
No matter how it looks, it's still not going to appeal to those buyers who want a TRUCK, with REAL 4WD and a V8 engine or a DIESEL (or even an eek-oh-boost turbo 6).
If they're a FORD GUY, or a CHEVY/GMC GUY or a DODGE/RAM GUY, there's no way they'd ever be caught dead driving a Honda.

·
Registered
813 Posts
No matter how it looks, it's still not going to appeal to those buyers who want a TRUCK, with REAL 4WD and a V8 engine or a DIESEL (or even an eek-oh-boost turbo 6).
If they're a FORD GUY, or a CHEVY/GMC GUY or a DODGE/RAM GUY, there's no way they'd ever be caught dead driving a Honda.
They say Hyundai will make a pickup truck, so do you think that nobody will get that? They managed to get people to change their opinion on Hyundai/Kia and now those people are flocking to buy Palisade/Telluride. If the Ridgeline does look good in person, maybe they'll start coming to it. I have a feeling that they won't because the damage ha already been done to the Ridgeline nameplate. Now it's called the "female" truck by some people because of the roundness. I'm hoping that stereotype will go away with this refresh.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
They say Hyundai will make a pickup truck, so do you think that nobody will get that? They managed to get people to change their opinion on Hyundai/Kia and now those people are flocking to buy Palisade/Telluride. If the Ridgeline does look good in person, maybe they'll start coming to it. I have a feeling that they won't because the damage ha already been done to the Ridgeline nameplate. Now it's called the "female" truck by some people because of the roundness. I'm hoping that stereotype will go away with this refresh.
It depends upon whether you buy the truck that meets your actual needs, or you buy the truck that can do what you imagine you will do with it, or you buy the truck that projects whatever image you want others to see.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of pickup truck Hyundai/Kia decides to produce.
Will it use body-on-frame construction or be a unibody SUV spin-off like the Ridgeline?
Rumors suggest that Hyundai/Kia are developing a body-on-frame platform that will yield a both full-size SUV and a pickup truck.
Hyundai, Kia reportedly planning body-on-frame SUVs
The Genesis engine line-up already includes a turbo-diesel 6, a twin-turbo gas 6 and a gas V8 , so some version of any or all of those motors could be used in a pickup truck.
If the 10-year and 100K-mile warranty is offered on such a truck, they should no trouble finding buyers.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it still FWD/transverse motor w/ a Pseudo- 4WD rear?
Is it still unibody?
I'm sure it's a nice vehicle.
I rest my case.
Somehow I think those are rhetorical... Which comes back to the age old argument for the Ridgeline. It's capable of what 95% of buyers will ever use a truck for and much better at everything else as a daily driver. BUT, Americans love big trucks or "real" trucks.

Honda should've had this design from the start of this generation. I think the pre refresh looks great too, but this looks more rugged. I just wish it had the full LED lights like the Pilot and Passport does on higher trims. I just hope it has the new infotainment which it most probably will have. It's so much better to look at compared to the old one.
Concur! It does have the new infotainment, WITH a volume knob!

Never was a fan but it seemed to be really popular to people who wanted a truck but didn’t want a full F-150/Silverado type.

it’s a pilot with the third row chopped off. Not heavy duty in the slightest.
Not heavy duty but how many people driving HD pickups actually need that capability? I can tell you only 1 of the people I know with an HD pickup actually "needs" it to tow a fifth wheel camper. Everyone I know who has had a Ridgeline has loved it.

Kia has experience with a ladder frame vehicle in the Borrego. By all accounts, it was a really good vehicle but Americans hadn't warmed to the idea of Hyundai Kia quite like they have now and the design was also pretty plain, unlike the distinctive design of the Telluride/Palisade.

It depends upon whether you buy the truck that meets your actual needs, or you buy the truck that can do what you imagine you will do with it, or you buy the truck that projects whatever image you want others to see.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of pickup truck Hyundai/Kia decides to produce.
Will it use body-on-frame construction or be a unibody SUV spin-off like the Ridgeline?
Rumors suggest that Hyundai/Kia are developing a body-on-frame platform that will yield a both full-size SUV and a pickup truck.
Hyundai, Kia reportedly planning body-on-frame SUVs
The Genesis engine line-up already includes a turbo-diesel 6, a twin-turbo gas 6 and a gas V8 , so some version of any or all of those motors could be used in a pickup truck.
If the 10-year and 100K-mile warranty is offered on such a truck, they should no trouble finding buyers.
I think they have a lot of brand momentum right now, if they release a body-on-frame SUV and pickup in the next couple years they could really make a splash. If they wait until the current momentum slows it might be too late and it will be a dud like the Borrego.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
813 Posts
Concur! It does have the new infotainment, WITH a volume knob!
I just saw a video and it has the old style steering wheel which was cluttered with buttons, and has the old style gauge cluster and infotainment. All they said was it was "tweaked" for 2021, but they're still using the old one. The volume knob is a nice addition though! I included a pic below from the press footage. Honda changed the design of the vents like they did in the 2019 refresh of the Pilot, but the infotainment is the same for some reason. I guess they're assuming that people will start to use this as an actual truck and they won't worry about infotainment, but I'm pretty sure there's people like me who buy Ridgelines. I really want the newer style stuff like the Pilot and Passport has. It doesn't really make sense because they have to keep making this style steering wheel/ gauge cluster just for one vehicle. To be honest, I don't know why Honda didn't fix other issues with the Ridgeline.
1602161115117.png

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Which comes back to the age old argument for the Ridgeline. It's capable of what 95% of buyers will ever use a truck for and much better at everything else as a daily driver. BUT, Americans love big trucks or "real" trucks
I must be one of the 5%ers while not in the trades the Ridgeline would not meet my needs when it’s used as a Home Depot/Lowes truck. The 5ft bed is too limited as well as the usable payload and towing. I envision all the heavy loads I have loaded onto my ladder frame pickup would have stressed the uni-body, suspension and drivetrain over time as the Ridgeline is just not heavy-duty enough (rugged) for my needs. Overall nice sporty light-duty Pilot-like with a small bed perfect for picking up a few bags of mulch or bushes. Innovative trunk in the bed and two-way tail gate. Although flat tires are not common, emptying the bed contents on the road to get to the temp spare would not be pleasant. The original Ridgeline has room for a full-size spare tire.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must be one of the 5%ers while not in the trades the Ridgeline would not meet my needs when it’s used as a Home Depot/Lowes truck. The 5ft bed is too limited as well as the usable payload and towing. I envision all the heavy loads I have loaded onto my ladder frame pickup would have stressed the uni-body, suspension and drivetrain over time as the Ridgeline is just not heavy-duty enough (rugged) for my needs. Overall nice sporty light-duty Pilot-like with a small bed perfect for picking up a few bags of mulch or bushes. Innovative trunk in the bed and two-way tail gate. Although flat tires are not common, emptying the bed contents on the road to get to the temp spare would not be pleasant. The original Ridgeline has room for a full-size spare tire.
When I gave up my Silverado so we could buy the Pilot I got one of the Harbor Freight 2,000 lb trailers (1720 subtracting out the weight of the trailer, even lower with the wood floor, sides and whatever else but you get the point). Unless I could get something with an 8' bed I prefer the trailer, it's short enough I can get it anywhere I need to and the capacity is good for everything I've needed thus far. I'd rather have a more compact pickup and my trailer than a pickup with an 8' bed. Just my opinion and usage case, of course.

I concur, not having a full size spare and the difficult access for the spare if the bed is loaded is annoying.

Reactions: The Todd and aggrex

·
Registered
813 Posts
So would you guys trade some trunk space in a Ridgeline for a full size spare tire that's easy to remove?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I didn't know it could be larger but had a full size spare I wouldn't complain. Weatherproof storage in a pickup, especially with car seats installed, is a real issue. So any trunk would be awesome. If I had to make the choice I would likely choose a full size exterior spare with a smaller trunk because I do tow and do drive on some rough surfaces so I need that peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Waiting to see the lift kit for this bad boy ....

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
847 Posts
The ‘21 Rigi looks good.....but is it all lookielu stuff?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yep. It's all just in the looks which I found pretty dumb. If they were going to do a refresh as major as this one, they should've at least included the newer infotainment system that's offered in the 2019+ Pilot and Passport. I think besides that the AWD system has been tweaked a bit and there's some very minor interior additions.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Waiting to see the lift kit for this bad boy ....
I'd assume if the original J Sport one doesn't work they will come out with a new one right quick... don't expect more than 1"-2" though.

Put some side exhaust coming out in front of the rear tire... I quite like it. Hondas NASCAR truck.

That's mostly what was mentioned in the press release, but usually they will revise and update a bunch of under the skin parts.

They did mention a wider track, which helps push the wheels out farther and looks good.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts