Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please use this thread to discuss pricing on model year 2021 Pilots ONLY!

How to report your price:

Trim level
AWD or FWD
Factory options selected

MSRP inc delivery
Actual Price Paid before extras
Dealer fitted extras (eg rubber mats, towing)
Tax
Title and other fees
Total

Dealer name, city, state.
Additionally, please share if you traded in a car or not.

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picked up a 2021 SE AWD Honda Pilot on September 4th

Price: ~36K + TTL(3.5K)
OTD: 39.5k

No dealer fitted extras
Traded in a 2017 Honda accord.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Trim level: Honda Pilot Elite
AWD or FWD AWD
Factory options selected

MSRP inc delivery
Tax
Title and other fees
Total

Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
2021 Pilot Elite Black Pearl
MSRP 49,540
Price paid 43,200
+3000 tax and tags
2500 trade in 2010 Sienna LE 157000 miles
Included rubber mats all 3 rows and cargo tray
Piazza Honda Pottstown
Limerick PA

·
Registered
25 Posts
2021 Black Edition

AWD

No Factory Options Selected

$51,040.00 MSRP

Dealer Fitted Extras:
"Lux Care" ($198)
"Honda Pro Pack" which included Cargo Tray, Splash Guards (made them remove them), and Wheel Locks ($899)
"Nitrogen" which I made them remove and fill with air instead ($199)
"Solarplate Window Tint" ($299)
So a total of $1595. :oops:

Actual Price paid was:
$45126.31
+
$1495.00 (Added Equipment)
=
$46621.31 (total Vehicle Price before Taxes and Fees)
+
$2913.83 (Sales Tax)
+
$436.85 (Fees [Docs, Title, Inspection, yada yada)
=
$49971.99 OTD
-
$2000 Down @ 1.9% Honda Financial Financing
=
$838 (and change)/month for 60 months (which I will pay off in about 3 years instead)

Is going in for Lifetime Ceramic Treatment on October 1st for Exterior including all glass = ~$1000

I have already installed the following since taking delivery on Wednesday:

WeatherTech 3D Mats ($260)
WeatherTech Cupliners (Highly Recommend- just wished they sold small size by themselves) ($20 for 2 sets)
K&N Cabin Filter ($40)
K&N Air Filter ($50)
=
Not Quite $1500

·
Registered
28 Posts
2021 Black Edition

AWD

No Factory Options Selected

$51,040.00 MSRP

Dealer Fitted Extras:
"Lux Care" ($198)
"Honda Pro Pack" which included Cargo Tray, Splash Guards (made them remove them), and Wheel Locks ($899)
"Nitrogen" which I made them remove and fill with air instead ($199)
"Solarplate Window Tint" ($299)
So a total of $1595. :oops:

Actual Price paid was:
$45126.31
+
$1495.00 (Added Equipment)
=
$46621.31 (total Vehicle Price before Taxes and Fees)
+
$2913.83 (Sales Tax)
+
$436.85 (Fees [Docs, Title, Inspection, yada yada)
=
$49971.99 OTD
-
$2000 Down @ 1.9% Honda Financial Financing
=
$838 (and change)/month for 60 months (which I will pay off in about 3 years instead)

Is going in for Lifetime Ceramic Treatment on October 1st for Exterior including all glass = ~$1000

I have already installed the following since taking delivery on Wednesday:

WeatherTech 3D Mats ($260)
WeatherTech Cupliners (Highly Recommend- just wished they sold small size by themselves) ($20 for 2 sets)
K&N Cabin Filter ($40)
K&N Air Filter ($50)
=
Not Quite $1500
Great deal!

If you ever go in for maintenance and they see the aftermarket air filter, they can use that against you regarding warranty claims FYI.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Great deal!

If you ever go in for maintenance and they see the aftermarket air filter, they can use that against you regarding warranty claims FYI.
COMPLETY False!!!! There are laws which allow using other than factory parts.

That would be like saying using an oil filter other than a Honda oil filter would void the engine warranty. If the item meets or exceeds the manufacturers' specifications, then use what ever you would like. That is why aftermarket products exist.

Now if you have to oil the air filter such as K&N use to need and you use too much, the sensor could be contaminated and then there may be a warranty problem. IF it could be proven the excess oil caused a problem. It wouldn't affect any warranty claims for transmission, differentials, etc either, just the one component that may have been damaged.

·
Registered
28 Posts
COMPLETY False!!!! There are laws which allow using other than factory parts.

That would be like saying using an oil filter other than a Honda oil filter would void the engine warranty. If the item meets or exceeds the manufacturers' specifications, then use what ever you would like. That is why aftermarket products exist.

Now if you have to oil the air filter such as K&N use to need and you use too much, the sensor could be contaminated and then there may be a warranty problem. IF it could be proven the excess oil caused a problem. It wouldn't affect any warranty claims for transmission, differentials, etc either, just the one component that may have been damaged.
Sure, you can argue the Moss-Magnussen act of 1975 to the dealer, but the burden of proof will fall on you to support that your part did not damage the vehicle and your part is up to spec, while potentially risking your warranty being voided and having a warranty repair denied.

Too much risk for me just to get another 5HP at the wheels.

K&N air filters are performance parts, the dealer can make up some kind of excuse about it being out of spec or designed for hit rodding or what ever.

"I see you have a performance part on your vehicle there, well the CFM rating is too high/ we found deterioration of the filter/ oil got onto the MAF sensor requiring a new sensor etc. etc. Honda cannot cover this claim for reason X. "

Now enjoy debating air filter technology and specifications with the engineer which your case will be escalated to once you try to fight a warranty denial over basically a $50 air filter. Too risky for me, 280 HP is enough, most people probably cant tell the difference between that and 285hp anyway.

Aftermarket parts exist as a cheap alternative to OEM, cheap as in inferior materials and tolerances. Sure there is a spectrum of aftermarket parts, but the higher quality stuff costs close to or as much as OEM, so its best just to go the OEM route. Look at Fram's oil filters (garbage) and compare them to OEM (Honda oil filter costs $8), lots of tear downs online showing aftermarket oil filters use cardboard where OEMs use steel and some aftermarket brands even omit parts.

I understand using aftermarket parts on a car out of warranty, but under warranty its not worth the risk and possibly going through the hassle of proving your part was not the problem.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Look at Fram's oil filters (garbage)

Look at Fram's oil filters (garbage) and compare them to OEM (Honda oil filter costs $8), lots of tear downs online showing aftermarket oil filters use cardboard where OEMs use steel and some aftermarket brands even omit parts.

Those comments by you right there prove to me you are WAY behind the times!! Fram Ultra filters are some of the most highly rated filters.

Honda A01 oil filters (discontinued for years now) were manufactured by Filtech and didn't use cardboard endcaps. Honda A02 oil filters which replaced the A01 filters are made by Honeywell and are used in many Hondas, including the Pilot.

Honeywell manufactories the Honda A02 oil filter. Honeywell owns Fram. The Honda A02 filter has a cardboard end cap.

A02 Honda Oil Filter

·
Registered
28 Posts
LOL too funny, Fram oil filters, at least the basic ones, are known as the crappiest in the industry, right down there with the Walmart brand. In fact, Fram is no longer owned by Honeywell, they are owned by Trico, another company that has specializes in "budget" parts, mostly at Walmart. Sure you can get the higher priced Fram filter that is better, but then you can just go for oem at that price, actually you are probably paying more them OEM because of marketing and hype.

Fram: The worst oil filter EVER!

Take a look at the YouTube link above or search for oil filter tear down videos online, you can literally see inferior construction.

You wont get any warranty issues with an OEM, regardless how it is built.

With OEM filters Honda's go 200,000 miles + , 300, 400k. Can they do that on a cheap Fram? Probably, oil filter failures are not very common and maybe oil filters don't really make that much of a difference in longevity as long as you replace them at the right time. Its a Honda Pilot after all not a big rig or race car.

But if your engine has a massive failure, having that bright orange $3 filter on your engine sure won't help.

Moral of the story: Use OEM parts when under warranty and have your work done at the dealer when under warranty. It will make it harder for the manufacturer to deny any warranty claims.

Sure you can do the oil change by yourself but for $50 the dealer will give you a free carwash, coffee and cookies lol, so you save what, $15 and you have to keep the receipts for the next 8 years. Then you have to dispose of the oil etc, etc, not worth my time.

Experience: I have worked at multiple dealers before and am in the automotive industry. ASE certified to boot.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,945 Posts

Trim level
AWD or FWD
Factory options selected

MSRP inc delivery
Tax
Title and other fees
Total

Thank you
Could we please let this thread also include the 2021 Passport since this forum does also have a section for Passport owners?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I apologize for contributing to getting this thread off track. I will continue any further discussion on a different thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey All,
I just purchased a 2021 Honda Pilot SE. Lunar Silver:

Trim level - Special Edition (SE)
AWD or FWD - FWD
Factory options selected - "Desert Package" was installed. I turned the package down, and didn't "pay" for it (except for the "3M Door/Cup Guards" ... I was negotiating an OTD price, so I didn't keep track of the individual line items. They left the package in the car.
Desert Package Details:
  • Splash Guards
  • Wheel Locks
  • Trunk Tray
  • Premium Window Tint
  • Complimentary Oil Change
MSRP inc delivery $40,080.00
Actual Price Paid before extras - $36,364.87
Dealer fitted extras (eg rubber mats, towing) - $179.50
Tax - 2,941.83
Title and other fees - $1,213.80
Total - $40,700.00

Dealer name, city, state. - Right Honda, Scottsdale, AZ
Additionally, please share if you traded in a car or not. - Did not trade in a car. Put $10,000 down payment and financed thru honda at 0.9% for 5 years.

Thank you

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sure, you can argue the Moss-Magnussen act of 1975 to the dealer, but the burden of proof will fall on you to support that your part did not damage the vehicle and your part is up to spec, while potentially risking your warranty being voided and having a warranty repair denied.

Too much risk for me just to get another 5HP at the wheels.

K&N air filters are performance parts, the dealer can make up some kind of excuse about it being out of spec or designed for hit rodding or what ever.

"I see you have a performance part on your vehicle there, well the CFM rating is too high/ we found deterioration of the filter/ oil got onto the MAF sensor requiring a new sensor etc. etc. Honda cannot cover this claim for reason X. "

Now enjoy debating air filter technology and specifications with the engineer which your case will be escalated to once you try to fight a warranty denial over basically a $50 air filter. Too risky for me, 280 HP is enough, most people probably cant tell the difference between that and 285hp anyway.

Aftermarket parts exist as a cheap alternative to OEM, cheap as in inferior materials and tolerances. Sure there is a spectrum of aftermarket parts, but the higher quality stuff costs close to or as much as OEM, so its best just to go the OEM route. Look at Fram's oil filters (garbage) and compare them to OEM (Honda oil filter costs $8), lots of tear downs online showing aftermarket oil filters use cardboard where OEMs use steel and some aftermarket brands even omit parts.

I understand using aftermarket parts on a car out of warranty, but under warranty its not worth the risk and possibly going through the hassle of proving your part was not the problem.
I have a 2012 Ody with 160K and a 2008 Tacoma with 76K and have used the exact same filters on those vehicles for their life. Never an issue. I will admit though that I am an oddity in that I actually take OCD type care of my cars. I check and clean the air filter and cabin filter religiously. Only 1 mechanical issue in 20+ years with our Hondas (95 Acura, 97 Civic, 05 Ody, 11 CRV, 12 Ody, and 16 CRV) and that was an alternator failure on current Ody at 140K. I’ve used aftermarket filters and performance products on most of them without issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey All,
I just purchased a 2021 Honda Pilot SE. Lunar Silver:

View attachment 140757

Trim level - Special Edition (SE)
AWD or FWD - FWD
Factory options selected - "Desert Package" was installed. I turned the package down, and didn't "pay" for it (except for the "3M Door/Cup Guards" ... I was negotiating an OTD price, so I didn't keep track of the individual line items. They left the package in the car.
Desert Package Details:
  • Splash Guards
  • Wheel Locks
  • Trunk Tray
  • Premium Window Tint
  • Complimentary Oil Change
MSRP inc delivery $40,080.00
Actual Price Paid before extras - $36,364.87
Dealer fitted extras (eg rubber mats, towing) - $179.50
Tax - 2,941.83
Title and other fees - $1,213.80
Total - $40,700.00
View attachment 140755
Dealer name, city, state. - Right Honda, Scottsdale, AZ
Additionally, please share if you traded in a car or not. - Did not trade in a car. Put $10,000 down payment and financed thru honda at 0.9% for 5 years.

Thank you
That Lunar Silver is very nice! Would have been my choice of color, but the wife was smitten with the Black Edition. Especially the maroon tinted leather. 😏

·
Registered
3 Posts
That Lunar Silver is very nice! Would have been my choice of color, but the wife was smitten with the Black Edition. Especially the maroon tinted leather. 😏
Honestly, the Lunar Silver looks much nicer in person than it did on the Honda website when I was "building" the car. Wife wanted the white, but when she saw it in person, the white and black wheels were too much of a contrast. The Lunar Silver was a good mid point and make the black portions look great. When we went inside the dealership to sign, they had a shiny "Black Edition" inside and my wife commented that it "looked good." After 10 years of driving a black suv in Phoenix, I'm not doing that again ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Honestly, the Lunar Silver looks much nicer in person than it did on the Honda website when I was "building" the car. Wife wanted the white, but when she saw it in person, the white and black wheels were too much of a contrast. The Lunar Silver was a good mid point and make the black portions look great. When we went inside the dealership to sign, they had a shiny "Black Edition" inside and my wife commented that it "looked good." After 10 years of driving a black suv in Phoenix, I'm not doing that again ;)
I drove a black S2000 for years and out here in West Texas, I feel ya’! But if Momma ain’t happy.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Working with a dealer now on a Pilot Elite, 45K out the door TTL. Still shopping around, not in a hurry. What do you think?
Not sure where you’re at but I think 45K is good but certainly go for more. If they are not willing to go down more, try to milk out at least on accessories, e.g. splash guard, rubber mats for all three rows, cargo tray, tow trailer, etc. By all means, keep shopping/reaching out to get more quotes and take your time. I’m also looking to buy 2021 Honda Pilot SE and aiming at $37000 OTD (live in MD but willing to go to dealerships in PA, DE, VA, NC, WV, and NJ).

·
Registered
28 Posts
You have the right approach about working with multiple dealers, that's what I am doing now and asking for quotes from about a dozen. Its hard to get something in writing but worth the effort when you can save a few thousand. Definitely will aim lower, maybe the end of the month and election can factor in my favor.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts