Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 2021 Pilot. I was wondering how far you can drive without the key fob? If I go into a convenience store, I like to leave my car running especially in the winter. I always have the fob in my pocket, so I guess my question is, can someone jump in my car and take off even if the fob is in my pocket? I’ve tried to lock the car while it’s running, but it won’t lock. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
I know on my older vehicles, you can drive unlimited until it's shut off.

Reactions: 2020 Touring

·
Registered
813 Posts
The car doesn't let you shift gears when the fob isn't close by. However, they still can get into the car and mess with your stuff. When you get out of the car just remember to press that little black button on either the driver or passenger door handle. That will lock all the doors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car doesn't let you shift gears when the fob isn't close by. However, they still can get into the car and mess with your stuff. When you get out of the car just remember to press that little black button on either the driver or passenger door handle. That will lock all the doors.
Thank you! I’ll try that.👍🏼

·
Registered
92 Posts
On my 2016, the locks will automatically engage if the fob is more than 5-6 feet away from the Pilot, even with motor running. It will also beep to let me know the locks are engaged. I often do this, like you say, to dive into the local corner store when the temp is cold and never had answer. Try an experiment in your driveway or other secure area as a test first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my 2016, the locks will automatically engage if the fob is more than 5-6 feet away from the Pilot, even with motor running. It will also beep to let me know the locks are engaged. I often do this, like you say, to dive into the local corner store when the temp is cold and never had answer. Try an experiment in your driveway or other secure area as a test first.
Ok, I’ll try it at home & test it out. 🙏🏼 Thank you!

·
Registered
95 Posts
What trim level? On my EX it's set up to automatically lock when the fob is certain distance away. On the display panel with power mode set to on it's under Settings / Vehicle / Keyless Access Setup / Walk Away Auto Lock.

But now that I think about it, I haven't tested it with the engine running.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just tested it. It gives a quick series of beeps and will not lock the doors. Pressing lock on the fob or the black button on the door handle does not lock it.

Got it to work. You have to use the manual key from the fob to both lock and unlock the doors.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Is this new? I’m fairly sure my 2016 has no problems shifting gears fobless.

·
Registered
11,410 Posts

·
Registered
11,410 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Is this new? I’m fairly sure my 2016 has no problems shifting gears fobless.
My 2020 doesn't let you change the gears without the fob.
Same. I'll be testing the theory when the sun comes up.
The OP has a 9 speed with the electronic shifter. I'm not sure if the 6 speed with the lever does the same thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought a new 2021 Pilot. I was wondering how far you can drive without the key fob? If I go into a convenience store, I like to leave my car running especially in the winter. I always have the fob in my pocket, so I guess my question is, can someone jump in my car and take off even if the fob is in my pocket? I’ve tried to lock the car while it’s running, but it won’t lock. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
👍🏼 Thank you!
What trim level? On my EX it's set up to automatically lock when the fob is certain distance away. On the display panel with power mode set to on it's under Settings / Vehicle / Keyless Access Setup / Walk Away Auto Lock.

But now that I think about it, I haven't tested it with the engine running.
it’s an EXL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts