Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starts arriving at dealers today.
  • New Pilot Special Edition bundles premium features including black 20-inch wheels and trim, wireless phone charging and hands-free access power tailgate
  • 9-speed transmission, paddle shifters and Idle Stop now standard across lineup
  • Additional upgrades to LX trim include dual-zone automatic climate control
2021 Honda Pilot Adds New Special Edition, Standard 9-speed Automatic Transmission

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussed here earlier.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Noooo. The SE almost sold me until I read it comes with a 9speed.
So reassuring that this same transmission goes into Jeeps.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Noooo. The SE almost sold me until I read it comes with a 9speed.
The 9-speed normally starts off in 2nd and rarely uses 9th, so think of it as a 7-speed. ;)

On a more serious note, the 9-speed can actually handle more torque than the 6-speed and it's fairly smooth. I have no issues with its reliability, but I don't like how hesitant it is to downshift for passing. It's like stomp...wait...GO!

For what it's worth, FCA builds their own 9HP transmissions under license from ZF. The 9HP used by Honda is built by ZF.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The 9-speed normally starts off in 2nd and rarely uses 9th, so think of it as a 7-speed. ;)

On a more serious note, the 9-speed can actually handle more torque than the 6-speed and it's fairly smooth. I have no issues with its reliability, but I don't like how hesitant it is to downshift for passing. It's like stomp...wait...GO!
Haha good point on the 7 speed. I love the way it shifts, but I sleep better knowing that I own a EXL. I know nothing is perfect, but I wish the 9speed was.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,403 Posts
Haven't previous SE trim Pilots been cloth seats, RES and sunroof? I don't see why Honda would make this more expensive than the EX-L. It was only a matter of time before all transmissions would switch to 9 speed. It'll be a sad day when/if Honda puts a 4 cylinder turbo in the Pilots.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm OK with the 9 speed(had it in my Odyssey), but I HATE the auto stop/start feature that was previously only in Touring & above. Does the Pilot 9 speed have a sport mode like my Odyssey did? Sport mode made a big difference for quick acceleration.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It'll be a sad day when/if Honda puts a 4 cylinder turbo in the Pilots.
Why do you say that?

Does the Pilot 9 speed have a sport mode like my Odyssey did? Sport mode made a big difference for quick acceleration.
The Pilot, Ridgeline, Odyssey, and Passport don't have a "sport" mode, per se, like some other Honda models do, but they do have a "sequential" mode (that's the "S" position on the pushbutton shifter) which is used primarily when shifting manually with the paddle shifters. You can use the paddle shifters in drive mode (D), but the transmission will revert to automatic shifting after a few seconds and you can't manually select 1st in D where the 9-speed always starts in 2nd gear. By contrast, "Sport" mode on other Honda models changes not only the transmission behavior, but also throttle response, steering feel, engine sound, instrument cluster appearance, and suspension damping (on models so equipped).

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Jeep just had a big recall for their 9 speed in the Cherokee.

Haven't previous SE trim Pilots been cloth seats, RES and sunroof? I don't see why Honda would make this more expensive than the EX-L. It was only a matter of time before all transmissions would switch to 9 speed. It'll be a sad day when/if Honda puts a 4 cylinder turbo in the Pilots.
I'm disappointed they went upmarket with it as well, the SE has always been between the LX and EX. They seem to have started filling that SE role with the Sport models (think Accord last and current gen, Ridgeline so far) and moving the SE or Special Edition upmarket (last gen Accord had a Sport Special Edition that moved upmarket).

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm OK with the SE moving upmarket if a Sport model exists, I've always thought they had the perfect amount of content.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Jeep just had a big recall for their 9 speed in the Cherokee.
Recall 20V-343 issued on June 11, 2020 affects 67,248 2014-2017 Jeep Cherokees. 769,971 Cherokees were sold in the US from 2014 to 2017. An estimated 1% (672) actually contain the defect. I wouldn't consider that a "big" recall compared to something like the Takata airbag and Denso fuel pump recalls in recent history that each affected millions of vehicles.

Regardless, the cause of this recall was weak splines in a specific two-speed power transfer unit used on a minority of models with AWD. The ZF 9HP transmission was not the cause of the loss of power or rollaways. Models with the one-speed PTU and FWD models were not affected. The PTU is located after the transmission.

...the SE has always been between the LX and EX.
The 2014 Ridgeline SE was a top-trim RTL w/ navigation with a "black out" package.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Recall 20V-343 issued on June 11, 2020 affects 67,248 2014-2017 Jeep Cherokees. 769,971 Cherokees were sold in the US from 2014 to 2017. An estimated 1% (672) actually contain the defect. I wouldn't consider that a "big" recall compared to something like the Takata airbag and Denso fuel pump recalls in recent history that each affected millions of vehicles.

Regardless, the cause of this recall was weak splines in a specific two-speed power transfer unit used on a minority of models with AWD. The ZF 9HP transmission was not the cause of the loss of power or rollaways. Models with the one-speed PTU and FWD models were not affected. The PTU is located after the transmission.

The 2014 Ridgeline SE was a top-trim RTL w/ navigation with a "black out" package.
Noted on the recall... I didn't read the details just that it was affected. Also, I consider all recalls to be "big" because they pose a significant enough safety risk to warrant a recall, something no manufacturer ever wants to do and no government agency wants to enforce.

Also, my definition of always dates back to the 90's when I started caring about cars. Nobody is disputing that Honda has changed the positioning of the SE trim in recent years. I still think it's a mistake for Honda to move away from their trim level designations with Touring, Elite, RTL, RT, etc. Just make everything LX, EX, EX-L, etc. and maybe have those be packages but I'm clearly a dinosaur that will never understand the constant rejiggering of trim level designations manufacturers feel they need to do.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
9,391 Posts

As I said, It's so reassuring that Honda is using the same 9-speed transmission that goes in Jeeps. Maybe at a lower price, Honda customers can have their transmission serviced at the Dodge dealership with Mopar ATF. 🤔

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Before I'd buy either a Pilot or MDX, I'd buy a Lexus RX 350L for both the luxury and the reliability. :)
Oh, oh, let me play!

Durango R/T for me! Haul 3 kids, their crap and the mother-in-law in maybe not style but definitely speed!

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oh, oh, let me play!

Durango R/T for me! Haul 3 kids, their crap and the mother-in-law in maybe not style but definitely speed!
Haha! Heck, don't stop at the R/T!

A couple of years ago, I drove a Hellcat around Eagles Canyon Raceway and commented to the FCA rep that all that power was entertaining, but it begged for AWD. She walked me over to the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk. I'd never spend my own money on an FCA product, but I'd gladly accept a Trackhawk as a gift! :) Still, the Trackhawk wasn't as nearly as comically paradoxical as the Mercedes-Benz AMG E 63 S Wagon.

But, yes... The Durango R/T is a stylish, well-performing value. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Drive one before you say that, lol. The L has the steering weight and maneuverability of a dump truck. The sporty(ish) handling of the Pilot/MDX is the reliability trade-off.
:LOL:

Funny you say that. I was in a new LX 570 last year and the very first thing I noticed was how uncomfortably and artificially heavy the steering was. I assumed it was in some sort of "sport" mode...but it wasn't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts