Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2021 pilot is rusting. I have orange specs of rust in several places on the exterior of the car as well as the sunroof frame is rusting. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did the dealer do for you? Would it be covered under the rust/corrosion warranty?

·
Registered
756 Posts
My 2021 pilot is rusting. I have orange specs of rust in several places on the exterior of the car as well as the sunroof frame is rusting. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did the dealer do for you? Would it be covered under the rust/corrosion warranty?
Are you sure it's not bonded on metallic contaminates on the paint's surface that are rusting? Have you tried using a product like IronX to clean it? I suspect it's just surface contamination and not the car itself actually rusting. This is a common thing to notice on white cars.

Check out this video - I think this maybe what you have going on:

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
343 Posts
Sounds like you have some contaminants on top of your clearcoat. Chemical Guys makes a good video on how to use them, and the benefits of clay bar-ing your car every year.

it is very common to pick up industrial fallout contaminants, road paint, road tar, tree sap, etc. it’s an easy fix, just takes time!

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
586 Posts
Are you sure it's not bonded on metallic contaminates on the paint's surface that are rusting? Have you tried using a product like IronX to clean it? I suspect it's just surface contamination and not the car itself actually rusting. This is a common thing to notice on white cars.

Check out this video - I think this maybe what you have going on:

I didn't watch the video but I think you're in the right direction.

I believe it's referred to as Rail Dust

What is rail dust? At times you may have noticed little orange specks on the paint of your car and have wondered where it came from. When small metal particles land on your vehicle and rust, small specks can form. This is called rail dust.

The term originated when cars first started being delivered by train – small particles from the track would fly up and land on the cars. If it was wet outside, these particles would start to rust and rail dust was formed. Nowadays you can get rail dust anywhere. If you’re driving in an industrial area or near train tracks, you run the risk of coming in contact with the metal particles.

I highly doubt the dealer will cover that in particular, you may just need to pay for a vehicle detail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts