Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pilot AWD SE
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is 2021, hopefully post-COVID, and I'm planning to replace my 2010 Pilot with a new SUV.
I'm looking for these characteristics:
  1. reliability
  2. quiet cabin
  3. best MPG in its class (no hybrid)

Is the 2021 Pilot still worthwhile to consider? I just looked at NHTSA and there are 3 recalls for this model year, while the Toyota Highlander has 0.
Seems like most of the complaints are about poor quality tires that disintegrated at highway speeds.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
577 Posts
It is 2021, hopefully post-COVID, and I'm planning to replace my 2010 Pilot with a new SUV.
  1. reliability
  2. quiet cabin

Is the 2021 Pilot still worthwhile to consider? I just looked at NHTSA and there are 3 recalls for this model year, while the Toyota Highlander has 0.
Seems like most of the complaints are about poor quality tires that disintegrated at highway speeds.
What are your thoughts?
I actually like the factory Continentals. However, not sure they're worth $250 a piece especially since most people get between 30-40k miles out of them but I'd definitely consider the LX25's once mine are due to replace.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a tire thread.

But back to the the Highlander ... its smaller... the infotainment is dated and the AWD is at most like 20-25% to the rear wheels at best.

·
Registered
2021 Pilot AWD SE
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How was the cabin quietness factor?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
IMO the Highlander and Pilot do not compete. The Highlander competes with the Sorrento, CX-9 and other 3 rows with seats too small for kids over 10.

But if you don't value that and you like the Highlander, it's definitely a stout vehicle. I did see a video recently where the FSM for the new Highlander calls for you to drop the transmission to replace the radiator or the water pump (which has a plastic housing), both of which are parts I consider consumables no matter the make.

Personally, I'd stick with the Pilot because I like the way Hondas drive better and I think the facelifted 3rd gens look pretty sharp.

·
Registered
2021 Pilot AWD SE
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO the Highlander and Pilot do not compete. The Highlander competes with the Sorrento, CX-9 and other 3 rows with seats too small for kids over 10.

But if you don't value that and you like the Highlander, it's definitely a stout vehicle. I did see a video recently where the FSM for the new Highlander calls for you to drop the transmission to replace the radiator or the water pump (which has a plastic housing), both of which are parts I consider consumables no matter the make.

Personally, I'd stick with the Pilot because I like the way Hondas drive better and I think the facelifted 3rd gens look pretty sharp.
Thanks for the input.
They are good point.

·
Registered
234 Posts
  1. reliability
  2. quiet cabin

What are your thoughts?
Mine is 2019. No problems. I've read complains about ride and noise. This isn't a $100k+ S-class. For the price, this is a very quiet and smooth vehicle. I'm getting around 20 mpg mostly stop and go traffic. Pilot has been around for few years. Honda should have sorted out common issues. Highlander is a great choice too. You can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
2021 Pilot AWD SE
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is 2019. No problems. I've read complains about ride and noise. This isn't a $100k+ S-class. For the price, this is a very quiet and smooth vehicle. I'm getting around 20 mpg mostly stop and go traffic. Pilot has been around for few years. Honda should have sorted out common issues. Highlander is a great choice too. You can't go wrong with either one.
Great to know. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

·
Registered
2021 Pilot AWD SE
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bought a 2021 Special Edition.

Reactions: AttyVette
1 - 9 of 9 Posts