Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a 2021 honda pilot elite. After reading some of the messages here about the electrical/infotainment problems, I am a little concerned.

Anyone out there with a 2021 pilot with the same issues? Or, has honda fixed these problems.

Also, any others concerns about the 2021 pilot from current owners?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm driving a 2021 Pilot coming from a 2016. No concerns here, for the most part those problems are few between.

Sent from my P30 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. My family still has a 2006 Pilot with 175K on it -- my kids drive it.

We are also looking at Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride (they are nice looking) -- but concerned about long term reliability.

Our 2006 Pilot has been bullet proof, would love if the new Pilot is equally reliable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
813 Posts
As long as you take care of the Pilot, it'll take care of you back, as applies to every car. I skipped the Telluride because the dealers were charging above MSRP for it. I recall it was $42k for a Telluride S which is the one right above the base model I think. I got a Pilot Touring for less money than that. The Hyundai has stinky leather or something like that. I also didn't like the styling of the Hyundai and Palisade so I skipped them and went straight for the Pilot. I've owned my Pilot since January and I haven't had any issues at all. BTW if you notice the car is shifting a little weird, the transmission will learn how you drive and shift according to how your driving style is. When my car was new then it occasionally had weird shifts, but now nobody can notice the shifts at all. I think you'll enjoy the Pilot if you purchase one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am interested in a 2021 honda pilot elite. After reading some of the messages here about the electrical/infotainment problems, I am a little concerned.

Anyone out there with a 2021 pilot with the same issues? Or, has honda fixed these problems.

Thanks in advance.
We just purchased a 2021, 1000 miles seems fine. We investigated the recalls. Factory has remediated all recalls before shipping, so nothing shows on recall list if shipped after Sep. but if concerned you can check VIN before purchase. Backup camera functions fine, infotainment is what am paying the most attention too as there are stories about a class action suit regarding infotainment issues as they do not require a recall unless it does affect backup camera.
Did notice that Bluetooth has suddenly experienced intermittent sound drops when playing from an iPhone. Will keep an eye on it. Gas mileage is also a little suspect. Have Ex-L AWD which labels at 26 HWY. in my tests, Under perfect conditions, including a slight wind assist, mpg is closer to 21. Could never achieve 26 mpg regardless of highway soeed tried 55, 65 or 75 mph on highway. At 55mph could achieve 23 at top end with no passengers and wind assist. In town is also closer to 14 vs 18. So would really like to know if they do these mpg tests when going down hill. Ha. Anyway, so far, so good. Will be adding the towing transmission cooler. Would also share that these are selling below MSRP - IMhO due to all the concerns. So at $5k below a Palisade or Telluride, I thought the risk acceptable. Happy to answer more questions. Cheers!

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD | Modern Steel Metallic
10 Posts
I'm driving a 2021 Pilot coming from a 2016. No concerns here, for the most part those problems are few between.

Sent from my P30 Pro using Tapatalk
Same here. Congrats to you! I traded back a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L (Dark Cherry Pearl) to upgrade to a 2021 Honda Pilot EX-L (Modern Steel Metallic). 16 miles on the dash. The added Honda Sensing features, updated instrument panel, updated infotainment system and push button shift are nice touches.

I checked the VIN prior and saw no recalls due.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same here. Congrats to you! I traded back a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L (Dark Cherry Pearl) to upgrade to a 2021 Honda Pilot EX-L (Modern Steel Metallic). 16 miles on the dash. The added Honda Sensing features, updated instrument panel, updated infotainment system and push button shift are nice touches.

I checked the VIN prior and saw no recalls due.
Modern Steel Metallic and the wheels that go with it - super sleek. Congrats to you too! Safety features are great - lane assist, braking assist, rear collision detection - I came from a 2010 model - feeling like Buck Rogers coming out of hibernation in the future.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Thanks in advance.
There is one minor annoyance with my 2021 Pilot SE. A few times when meeting another vehicle when there is a curve, even slight, to the right and the other vehicle is approaching me, the BRAKE light comes on in the instrument panel and the steering wheel shakes. Evidently, the system thinks the other vehicle is directly in front of me, which it is or close to it in the curve. It has only happened on local roads at slow speeds, 30 to 35 mph. I guess being overly cautious is better than ignoring things. I haven't changed the default distance for the collision mitigation system so I will have to check that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently bought the 2021 Honda Pilot elite and noticing random jerks in low speeds when I release the acceleration pedal. Do anyone experience the same? Is this normal?

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
Recently bought the 2021 Honda Pilot elite and noticing random jerks in low speeds when I release the acceleration pedal. Do anyone experience the same? Is this normal?

It takes about 500 miles for the transmission to learn your driving style.

Document issues with video when possible but see if they work themselves out.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I have a 2021 Pilot SE. At 6500 miles, the radiator gave out. We had it replaced but it is now having electrical issues. The dealer just replaced the stop/start button and downloaded a patch for the stereo. It is still having HVAC issues, sometimes we get it in the car it will be blasting heat and max temp and max fans. Strange.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2021 Pilot SE. At 6500 miles, the radiator gave out. We had it replaced but it is now having electrical issues. The dealer just replaced the stop/start button and downloaded a patch for the stereo. It is still having HVAC issues, sometimes we get it in the car it will be blasting heat and max temp and max fans. Strange.
Ok that sounds terrible. Honda should be able to step up and help you out. How do lemon laws apply?

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just purchased a 2021, 1000 miles seems fine. We investigated the recalls. Factory has remediated all recalls before shipping, so nothing shows on recall list if shipped after Sep. but if concerned you can check VIN before purchase. Backup camera functions fine, infotainment is what am paying the most attention too as there are stories about a class action suit regarding infotainment issues as they do not require a recall unless it does affect backup camera.
Did notice that Bluetooth has suddenly experienced intermittent sound drops when playing from an iPhone. Will keep an eye on it. Gas mileage is also a little suspect. Have Ex-L AWD which labels at 26 HWY. in my tests, Under perfect conditions, including a slight wind assist, mpg is closer to 21. Could never achieve 26 mpg regardless of highway soeed tried 55, 65 or 75 mph on highway. At 55mph could achieve 23 at top end with no passengers and wind assist. In town is also closer to 14 vs 18. So would really like to know if they do these mpg tests when going down hill. Ha. Anyway, so far, so good. Will be adding the towing transmission cooler. Would also share that these are selling below MSRP - IMhO due to all the concerns. So at $5k below a Palisade or Telluride, I thought the risk acceptable. Happy to answer more questions. Cheers!
Update after 3000 miles... Sound system was factory reset and no issues since. Re: Bluetooth to an iPhone, turns out the iPhone was downloading/updating apps which caused the choppy connection to the Bluetooth - so again Infotainment has been great. Love the apple car play.
Also experiencing a bumpy shift in low gears, but not always and not sure why. Never happens on my daily drive - to from work - but does happen if starting cold from another location. Not sure how the transmission learning works - as one poster stated. So will keep an eye on it.
space is incredible. Towing is fantastic. This is a solid machine. So far no regrets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Picked up an 21 AWD SE at the end of last year and continue to have our 1st Gen 08 Pilot (150K and going). I have to be honest, the cargo space is better in the 08, better acceleration from stop and I'm showing my age but I'm not a big fan of all the sensing stuff. I like the new Pilot - it rides smoother, less wind noise, very slight improvement in gas mileage, like the little rear storage area better and the lights are better.

"issues" - the hands free charging sucks! I had a rental Ford Escape that was perfect - when does a Ford beat a HOnda?
  • the hands free tailgate works well if you have the key fob on you but if the driver (key fob holder) is at the side of the vehicle it doesn't seem to always work.
  • love the black out on the SE model (the reason we bought it) DAMN dealership put the protection package on it with nice shiny chrome colored wheel locks refusing to change to black unless I had the black edition. guess I have to buy them on my own.

overall satisfied with the new Pilot

1 - 15 of 15 Posts