Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i recently dropped off our 2021 pilot for routine oil change. It has about 15000 miles and we got it in February of 21'. Shortly after dropping off the pilot, we get a call from the dealer saying that the front tires are wearing unevenly. A wheel alignment was recommended, along with the rotate, and balancing. Also, as per the "15,000 mile" maintenance, we also needed a throttle body "tune up" and rear differential fluid change? All to the tune of $500 plus dollars. This all sounds pretty excessive for a car that has only 15,000 miles and is a year old. Has anyone else experienced this with their pilot and where can I find the maintenance schedule for a 2021 pilot? Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I find that it is worth the time to stay at the dealership when getting service, it seems to be mandatory? that they try to add on things that really don’t need immediate attention. You should be able to go on Honda.com owners website and find what you need to know about service intervals.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,080 Posts
Differential Fluid Change probably yes. The first change is at 12,000 miles then approximately every 30k after that. Rotate, balance yes, wheel alignment yes if there is uneven wear from an alignment issue. Not all tire wear is alignment related so I would question what kind of uneven wear they are talking about. It could be as simple as under or over inflated tires.

Throttle Body??? The vehicle comes with a MM that tells you when a particular service(s) are needed and what those service(s) are. If you look in the owners manual you will not find under any of the maintenance code a throttle body tune up listed. There are dealers out there that try to pad their maintenance as it is a money maker. I would as the dealer to show me where HONDA, not some dealership, recommends a throttle body tune up at 15000 mile. After they get done stammering, hemming and hawing, then it's up to you what you want to do.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Curious since you said you dropped it off for an oil change. What were the codes showing on the Maintenance Minder and what percentage was the oil life showing? At 15000 miles you should have had the tire rotation (Code 1) show up around 7500 miles I believe, and the rear differential fluid change (Code 6) show up between 12000 miles and 15000 miles.

I believe Honda calls for the tire rotations every 7500 miles and the rear fluid as stated in post #3 by15000 miles and then every 30000 miles unless driven under severe conditions. I have also heard Honda said 10000 miles for tire rotations but I can't find that info right now. I do my oil, oil filter, and tire rotation every 5000 miles even though my MM is still around 50-60% at that mileage.

·
Registered
197 Posts
you could need a wheel alignment, usually runs about $80. Diff change is needed if your havent had it done, not sure what dealer charges on that. You should rotate your tires every oil change. Rotation is probably $30-50 at the dealer And they should include the balancing. $500 seems a bit high.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
665 Posts
"Throttle Body Tune Up" is a good sign this dealer will try to scare you into buying up sell unnecessary service every time you visit. This is a nonsense service; DIYers clean the throttle body periodically, but honestly most people never touch it, and most mechanics never do either unless troubleshooting a problem. For a dealer to recommend it like this tells me they are dishonest.

If you have another Honda dealer local, try them to see if the device department is more honest. You have received good advice from other posters on what maintenance is required/recommended.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot EX-L
20 Posts
Okay, so I guess "what gets done when" is up to the dealer ??? The HondaOakland.com/2021-honda-pilot-maintenance-schedule does NOT show rear diff fluid or throttle body anywhere. Or check out SouthPointHonda.com/honda-recommended-maintenance-schedule, which is the largest Recommended Maintenance I have ever seen, and has diff oil at 30k.

Unfortunately the owners manual lists just the MM codes but not the recommends mileage for them. Our '21 is rapidly closing on 15k so it will be interesting to see what my dealer recommends. I am not going to say anything about the fact out 2006 Pilot had 221k on it when we got our new one (sold it, still running fine), and I there are things on the '21 MM list we never did.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Okay, so I guess "what gets done when" is up to the dealer ??? The HondaOakland.com/2021-honda-pilot-maintenance-schedule does NOT show rear diff fluid or throttle body anywhere. Or check out SouthPointHonda.com/honda-recommended-maintenance-schedule, which is the largest Recommended Maintenance I have ever seen, and has diff oil at 30k.

Unfortunately the owners manual lists just the MM codes but not the recommends mileage for them. Our '21 is rapidly closing on 15k so it will be interesting to see what my dealer recommends. I am not going to say anything about the fact out 2006 Pilot had 221k on it when we got our new one (sold it, still running fine), and I there are things on the '21 MM list we never did.
There are items which can not be given a certain set mileage or time limit due to too many factors. My oil life has always shown me about 10% per thousand miles while others on here have posted 10% per 5000, 6000, or 7000 miles. It is a matter of how the car is driven under what kind of conditions, and for how long such as short trips or long trips.

The 15000 miles for the first rear differential fluid change and then 30000 miles after has been posted many times as what owners are seeing and thus has been shown to be what miles are being driven before the code 6 pops up. My code 6 actually popped up around 12500 miles but it was just letting me know it would be due soon since I still had about 3000 miles or so before my next service. That's like I just changed my oil and filter yesterday and when I cleared the "B" code, the "A" code can be seen in the MM. Not that is is due now but that the next service will be at least the "A" item.

Transmission fluid exchange is showing by many owners to be around 30000 miles for the 6 speed, and 60000 miles for the 9 speed. Brake fluid code 7 calls for every 3 years and it has been found that the first 3 years is from when the car was built, not when it was sold or first put into use.

Honda themselves have NO throttle body cleaning or service listed. They do say to use a Top Tier fuel however.

Many dealerships will try to upsell products and services on their own "recommendations' much sooner than or even if the service isn't even listed by Honda. Remember that the service department of dealerships bring in more profit than the sales department and that most service advisors work on commission and bonus pay.

You can either go by the MM, go by what the dealership recommends, or make your own decision as to when to do something. I change oil, oil filter, and rotate tires every 5000 miles. I did the rear differential at 15000 miles and will do the next one at 45000 miles. I changed the brake fluid around the 3rd year anniversary of the cars build date. I also just replaced the air cleaner and the cabin filter yesterday at about 13 months of use since their first replacement. I did my 9 speed transmission fluid exchange around 30000 miles and will follow that up every 30000 miles. I will do the front transfer unit fluid change during my next oil change at 40000 miles. That isn't called for until the 60000 mile transmission fluid change on my 9 speed.

I do these services myself so if I had to go to a dealership I would more than likely just follow the MM and not a dealership recommendation.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I just looked at the "Recommended" services you posted from the two different dealers. Coolant change from one at 30000 miles and 45000 miles from the other! Spark plugs at 30000 miles! Those aren't even called for until around 105000 miles BY HONDA when the timing belt is done. One of them is even calling for transmission service (which I would believe to be fluid exchange) every 15000 miles!

Easy to see how they will be making a huge profit on items not even needed or called for by Honda.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To summarize:
1. There isn't a fixed maintenance schedule* - everything should go by the Maintenance Minder. (* like many have pointed out, you can sort of estimate an approximate mileage for some stuff, usually around half the "extreme/severe duty" schedule mileages in the owners manual). Don't trust dealer "maintenance schedules" on their websites.
2. Tires should probably be rotated every oil change (assuming you are getting around 7000-8000 miles per oil change interval). If you have some bad terrain (potholes, off-highway, etc) you might need some alignment, but you should notice some wear on the tires - dealer should be able to point this out to you.
3. The throttle body/injector cleaning/etc is not recommended by Honda - for your dealer to recommend this service (and so early), is a sure sign they just like you for your wallet. I'd try a different dealer if possible.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot EX-L
20 Posts
I followed MM for our 2006 Pilot and was happy with the result. We went 220k+ miles and never had a real breakdown. For our new one I'll probably do the same, but I'de like so idea of what the mileage markers are so that I can do things earlier if I feel they should be. For example, based on my perspective, we are overdue for a second oil change (at 14k), but the MM has not gone off yet. I'm going to take it in for a B1 service shortly and I'll based on the feedback I'll have then do the diff at the same time. Most of the rest I'll wait for the MM, unless I get to 30k, at which point I'll do a B13567 (I can do 2 myself, and 4 should be a long ways off).

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot EX-L
20 Posts
So THE DAY AFTER I posted the above my wife called me while driving to Hartford, CT to tell me that she just got B16 MM codes and ask me to look it up. I laughed and said I didn't need to, knew exactly what it was. Got the service done yesterday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts