Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a 2021 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD.

I've heard that Honda Pilot's have had many quality problems, from oil issues to transmission problems, and then concerns with the infotainment system.

But I have also heard that ALL of these problems have been fixed in the 2021 Pilot.

So...for those of you who own an 2021 Pilot, please opine on quality!!

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a 2020 Pilot which is basically the same thing as the 2021. For me it’s been running flawlessly and I haven’t had any issues with it. If you don’t already know, you should disable the variable cylinder management which shuts off 3 cylinders to save gas. After a while it will start to cause issues. Oh, it’s weird to see a 9 speed in an exl, but yes you should turn off auto stop/ start when you drive the car. It will seem tedious at first but you’ll get used to pushing the button after a few weeks. There’s no guarantee that the 2021 Pilot WON’T have these issues, but Honda has supposedly fixed the infotainment issue, and now that the 6 speed is gone, there’s going to be less transmission issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2020 Pilot which is basically the same thing as the 2021. For me it’s been running flawlessly and I haven’t had any issues with it. If you don’t already know, you should disable the variable cylinder management which shuts off 3 cylinders to save gas. After a while it will start to cause issues. Oh, it’s weird to see a 9 speed in an exl, but yes you should turn off auto stop/ start when you drive the car. It will seem tedious at first but you’ll get used to pushing the button after a few weeks. There’s no guarantee that the 2021 Pilot WON’T have these issues, but Honda has supposedly fixed the infotainment issue, and now that the 6 speed is gone, there’s going to be less transmission issues.
Much appreciated for the response!!

How do you turn off the Variable Cylinder Management? Is it as easy as pushing the "Auto Stop/Start" button, or do I need to take it to a mechanic?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Much appreciated for the response!!

How do you turn off the Variable Cylinder Management? Is it as easy as pushing the "Auto Stop/Start" button, or do I need to take it to a mechanic?
There is an active VCM thread going on right now. Look it over to see if you have the skillset to install it yourself. No dealer will touch this concern.

·
Registered
98 Posts
"and now that the 6 speed is gone, there’s going to be less transmission issues. "

Uh? Are you saying the 6 speed AT's are worse than the ZF 9 speed AT's?

·
Registered
813 Posts
"and now that the 6 speed is gone, there’s going to be less transmission issues. "

Uh? Are you saying the 6 speed AT's are worse than the ZF 9 speed AT's?
I mean, after the 2019 refresh there hasn’t been many people with 9 speed problems. Meanwhile many people have issues with their 6 speed overheating and then they have to get the 3x fluid flush done. It was just the early pilots with 9 speed issues, but now look how many people are having issues. I think the 6 speed can be a reliable transmission just as long as you add a cooler and change the fluids often which I’m sure most 6 speed owners don’t have a cooler. The 9 speed you don’t have to do much with it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I mean, after the 2019 refresh there hasn’t been many people with 9 speed problems. Meanwhile many people have issues with their 6 speed overheating and then they have to get the 3x fluid flush done. It was just the early pilots with 9 speed issues, but now look how many people are having issues. I think the 6 speed can be a reliable transmission just as long as you add a cooler and change the fluids often which I’m sure most 6 speed owners don’t have a cooler. The 9 speed you don’t have to do much with it.
Gotcha. Agreed. I think Honda has addressed majority of the problems for Gen 3, which shouldn't have been issues if the VCM and other gimmicks were not used.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,399 Posts
So does this mean the VCM is not a problem in the 2021 Pilot?
Nobody knows. It’s one of those things you kind of have to make your own decision on. Some disable VCM and some don’t. Some have problems and some don’t. If I bought a new car I don’t think I’d disable it, but full disclosure I have it disabled on both Pilots.

I would tend to think Honda would have worked out all the issues by now. How long do you intend to keep your car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nobody knows. It’s one of those things you kind of have to make your own decision on. Some disable VCM and some don’t. Some have problems and some don’t. If I bought a new car I don’t think I’d disable it, but full disclosure I have it disabled on both Pilots.

I would tend to think Honda would have worked out all the issues by now. How long do you intend to keep your car?
I am hoping to keep the Pilot for 10-years.....

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
So does this mean the VCM is not a problem in the 2021 Pilot?
Debatable topic to foresee any future long-term issues. Just think about all the operational systems that are disabled to achieve a bit of efficiency. If you trade-in every 3yr or it's a lease I might consider doing nothing until the warranty is over but definitely continue monitoring input from other owners. For example start-stop is innovative tech but I have concerns for long-term issues. I'll be staying on the sidelines to observe how this all plays out with the future of the I.C.E. It's interesting to see the aftermarket introduce counter technology to control these electronic devices.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I decided I'm not going to monkey around with it. I'm just going to take the car as designed by Honda and enjoy!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,399 Posts
I decided I'm not going to monkey around with it. I'm just going to take the car as designed by Honda and enjoy!
Either way is a good choice. Plus if things start to act up then you can make the decision to disable it at that time. Plus you will have a warranty so you'll be able to get it fixed if need be.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
The average length of car ownership is around 8 years in the U.S. Most people get bored with the cars they have or get tired of spending money to repair them.
Or, they want a new vehicle so they can show off to the neighbors, or the wife wants a new vehicle because one of her friends got one.

I kept my previous three vehicles for 7-8 years and about 200K miles.
By that time there was some new vehicle that I wanted to buy.

With this Pilot, the only features I wish it had were a heated steering wheel (and seats) and some of the electronic safety gizmos, such as alerts for pedestrian-crossing-behind-my-vehicle-in-the-supermarket-parking-lot and jogger-wearing-a-dark-track-suit-running-in-the-road-after-sunset.

There's about 7-8 years left on the latest timing/belt (tensioner).
It's going to be a race between the need to replace those components (again) and rust to determine when I will retire this Pilot.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
xGS- heated seats?

I took care of that low $$ and EZ plug and play. I got a set of back/bottom warmers for the front seats off FleaBay or Amazonian- ~$35 shipped. Working well so far. For $35 and good reviews, I took the gamble on 'em.
I also installed OEM key Fob Remote start on our 15 pilot LX 4WD- about $180.

With any luck at all, OP will get many great years out of his 2021 Pilot!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have a dealership with a service department that is both competent and reasonably priced. That along with the lifetime drivetrain warranty they give as a sales incentive means I will have them do the regular maintenance and I will probably leave things as they were when we bought the car. Is the warranty worth a crap? I only know one person personally who has had to use it, but he was satisfied.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I am looking to buy a 2021 AWD EXL Pilot and the dealer is quoting me an out the door price after all taxes and fees in the amount of $39,775.92....is this a good deal?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts