Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there fellow Piloteers. I just turned in my 2018 Pilot and got a new 2021 Pilot EX-L AWD with the 9 speed. Literally drove off the lot last night so I haven't driven much to feel any difference comparing to the 2018 model I had.

The one thing I want to do is this disabling of the VCM. I am nowhere near mechanic status at all but I'd like to try and do this myself. Am I in over my head if I attempt this myself? I was looking at the VCM Tuner 2 I think it's called.

I read in a thread that somebody had trouble disconnecting a clip or something... I have small hands and probably not as strong as most of you so I'm wondering if I'd run into trouble at one point during this process.

I'm going to keep reading and searching for videos meanwhile but if anybody has any pictures/videos, etc. that they can share I would TOTALLY appreciate it!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Hi there fellow Piloteers. I just turned in my 2018 Pilot and got a new 2021 Pilot EX-L AWD with the 9 speed. Literally drove off the lot last night so I haven't driven much to feel any difference comparing to the 2018 model I had.

The one thing I want to do is this disabling of the VCM. I am nowhere near mechanic status at all but I'd like to try and do this myself. Am I in over my head if I attempt this myself? I was looking at the VCM Tuner 2 I think it's called.

I read in a thread that somebody had trouble disconnecting a clip or something... I have small hands and probably not as strong as most of you so I'm wondering if I'd run into trouble at one point during this process.

I'm going to keep reading and searching for videos meanwhile but if anybody has any pictures/videos, etc. that they can share I would TOTALLY appreciate it!!

Thanks!
It's an easy install. The temperature sensor conection is just under the the front corner of the engine cover, not far from the battery. Simply squeeze the top of the clip to release and pull up. If you pull before the clip is fully depressed, push down, squeeze and pull up. A medium standard screwdriver can be used to gently twist at the base of the clip to get it moving upward. The wire lead going to the positive battery terminal should be connected to the back of the terminal, not the battery terminal tightening nut.

Reactions: MariaCR

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an easy install. The temperature sensor conection is just under the the front corner of the engine cover, not far from the battery. Simply squeeze the top of the clip to release and pull up. If you pull before the clip is fully depressed, push down, squeeze and pull up. A medium standard screwdriver can be used to gently twist at the base of the clip to get it moving upward. The wire lead going to the positive battery terminal should be connected to the back of the terminal, not the battery terminal tightening nut.
Ok, got it. I'll prob order it tonight so that should give me a couple days to read and watch videos too. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
I found the YouTube video linked to on the VCMTunner 2 web site also to be one of the better "how to" videos out there. Follow the install directions in the User Manual you get with the unit to the letter, especially with respect to letting your vehicle computer systems rest long enough after shutting the engine off before disconnecting the existing ECT wiring harness. Otherwise you might throw a fault code and all sorts of warning lights on your dash will come on. I speak from experience on that :sick:, as I forgot to wait long enough once when removing the unit. When I originally installed it after waiting a couple of hours first, everything was fine. No error messages then. FWIW, I ended up using a needle nose pliers to squeeze the clip as there simply wasn't enough room for my "fat fingers" . That worked in my case. Good luck

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
45 Posts
I installed a s-vcm just a few weeks ago. There are plenty of YouTube how to videos the give you a pretty good idea what to expect.

Here my own two take aways

When removing the ecm1 plug do not pull or tug out by the wires. Always pull on the plug itself. You don’t want to pull one of the wires loose from the ecm plug.

When using the zip ties provided to tie and neaten your wiring, do not cinch the zip ties too tight. I allowed enough room to comfortably get a swiss army scissors inside to snip them off easily if needed to remove in future.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
When you get the device look at the connectors on the two different sides. The clip end will mirror what you are removing. Study how when you push in the bottom it will lift up the top (like a see-saw). Then you’ll know how the Honda OEM connector will be able to be removed. Your car is brand new so it should easily slide off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are all good tips, thank you guys, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it looks like I can't order the VCM Tuner II yet :(

"Currently not available in California until E.O is issued by the regulatory authority."

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll check this s-vcm option out instead of the vcm tuner 2.

Wonder what the difference is... would location have anything to do with it.. ? I'm in Southern California- Los Angeles to be exact.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
45 Posts

Wonder what the difference is... would location have anything to do with it.. ? I'm in Southern California- Los Angeles to be exact.

Don’t know the CA regulatory nuance or restriction if any.

I did ask a smog check tech about it. I was told it would be okay to have this device on for an emissions check. The only criteria that would flag your vehicle is if it exhibited an emissions trouble code during the test.

This could be hearsay information. Do your own research aside from comments on this forum.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't mean to divert from the thread but if I wanted to monitor these temps I read other threads about using this tool called ScanGauge II. Pardon my ignorance but is that the same thing as having a code reader? I have a Innova 3100J OBD2 scanner/code reader that I bought a while ago and I'm just wondering if I can monitor the temps using the Innova or is the ScanGauge II something totally different?

·
Registered
73 Posts

I just ordered the S-VCM for my wifes '21.

I noticed they're out of Canada. They could probably care less that you're in California. I'm not sure where the Tuner II comes from.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD, 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
49 Posts
With respect to the unplugging of the existing clip, the key is to squeeze at the end of the clip furthest away from the point at where it connects to the engine. Of you look at the clip on the disabler as a guide, it looks like you should push somewhere in the middle, which is what I was doing. As soon as you push further out, then it is pretty easy. I also found it easier to squeeze with my left hand for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With respect to the unplugging of the existing clip, the key is to squeeze at the end of the clip furthest away from the point at where it connects to the engine. Of you look at the clip on the disabler as a guide, it looks like you should push somewhere in the middle, which is what I was doing. As soon as you push further out, then it is pretty easy. I also found it easier to squeeze with my left hand for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for chiming in!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: Got a reply that the VCMTuner prob won't be avail for shipping to CA until mid/late summer.

So I just pulled the trigger on the S-VCM. Wish me luck once it arrives and hopefully this not-so-mechanic-savvy girl can install it herself

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like a good way to screw up your catalytic converter and possibly void your warranty. (Dumps in extra fuel). They (the dealer) cautioned me on my 2018 pilot elite and our 2010 Odyssey touring.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts