Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got brand new 2021 Pilot SE and next day found out there is a defect on the passenger side door.
It seems like the sealant/paint was squashed before dry out in the manufacturing plant.
I brought the vehicle to the dealer the very next morning and was told that they would send the vehicle to the "certified" body shop to fix.
I agreed and now the vehicle is in the body shop since they told me it will look like new after the fix.
I just do not feel comfortable thinking about buying a defect vehicle.
This was my first time buying a new vehicle so I do not have much of experience in dealing with dealership.
What should I have done?
What would you have done?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I just got brand new 2021 Pilot SE and next day found out there is a defect on the passenger side door.
It seems like the sealant/paint was squashed before dry out in the manufacturing plant.
I brought the vehicle to the dealer the very next morning and was told that they would send the vehicle to the "certified" body shop to fix.
I agreed and now the vehicle is in the body shop since they told me it will look like new after the fix.
I just do not feel comfortable thinking about buying a defect vehicle.
This was my first time buying a new vehicle so I do not have much of experience in dealing with dealership.
What should I have done?
What would you have done?
View attachment 147060
This is strictly a paint issue? Hard to see/understand the defect by the photo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is strictly a paint issue? Hard to see/understand the defect by the photo.
Not sure if it is strictly a paint issue or not.
People at the dealership told me they've never seen this kind of defect before.
The red circled part supposed to be straight and smooth like the upper part but there is extrusion of sealant/paint.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Not sure if it is strictly a paint issue or not.
People at the dealership told me they've never seen this kind of defect before.
The red circled part supposed to be straight and smooth like the upper part but there is extrusion of sealant/paint.
I understand now. Yes, metal defect.
Cosmetic standpoint, it can be fixed. But no I wouldn't like discovering it after the fact. Is this repair going to show up in the vehicle history?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
If that’s a sealant, looks to me that excess sealant was applied by the robot.
Is it painted over? Hard to tell on a wimpy mobile screen.

·
Registered
506 Posts
But no I wouldn't like discovering it after the fact.
Me either. Another perspective might make it easier to digest, though:

If you had found this before you signed and wrote the check, they would have offered the same solution. You could have either taken it, or asked them to get you a different car. I'm sure they would have, but it might have taken a while.

Unless this is some indicator of a deeper problem (which seems unlikely), I think you'll get it back and never know the defect was there. If you've got a free loaner while they fix yours, that's probably as good as it's going to get.

This illustrates the reality of dealers, though - they exist to move units, not to sell perfect cars. If you don't already have a good independent mechanic that you trust, you'll probably want to find one before your warranty ends.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me either. Another perspective might make it easier to digest, though:

If you had found this before you signed and wrote the check, they would have offered the same solution. You could have either taken it, or asked them to get you a different car. I'm sure they would have, but it might have taken a while.

Unless this is some indicator of a deeper problem (which seems unlikely), I think you'll get it back and never know the defect was there. If you've got a free loaner while they fix yours, that's probably as good as it's going to get.

This illustrates the reality of dealers, though - they exist to move units, not to sell perfect cars. If you don't already have a good independent mechanic that you trust, you'll probably want to find one before your warranty ends.
Thanks for the opinion.

Yes, they would have definitely changed the vehicle, if I had discovered it before signing the car.

If there is no major issues like leakage or rusting after the fix then I would not mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand now. Yes, metal defect.
Cosmetic standpoint, it can be fixed. But no I wouldn't like discovering it after the fact. Is this repair going to show up in the vehicle history?
No, they wold me it will not show up in the vehicle history since it's damage less than 25% of the vehicle.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Got a loaner? Time for a family vacation to Yosemite. 😁

1 - 10 of 10 Posts