Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Don't tell the military that. They are already testing LP engines is some of their drones. The LP works quite a bit differently than the old Wankel engine of Mazda fame.
Insofar as it uses a different thermodynamic cycle and uses a different shaped "rotor". But apex seals remain. Well hopefully the apex seals are made of a quality material and the oil burning is better in this version of a rotary engine.

I am intrigued and I believe the science behind it, just need to see the proof in a real application is all. There have been many wonderful scientific breakthroughs on paper that just don't work in the real world since the real world doesn't behave like a laboratory.

Remember, physicists are there to come up with ideas, engineers are there to apply them to the real world.

Reactions: Pathfinder_actual

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
Insofar as it uses a different thermodynamic cycle and uses a different shaped "rotor". But apex seals remain. Well hopefully the apex seals are made of a quality material and the oil burning is better in this version of a rotary engine.

I am intrigued and I believe the science behind it, just need to see the proof in a real application is all. There have been many wonderful scientific breakthroughs on paper that just don't work in the real world since the real world doesn't behave like a laboratory.

Remember, physicists are there to come up with ideas, engineers are there to apply them to the real world.
While that may be true, I do believe that Dr. Nikolay Shkolnik and his son Alexander Shkolnik both have their doctorates in engineering. They are the designers of the LP engine.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Wankel engines were great in theory but challenging longevity. These liquid engines are different and simpler. Hopefully metallurgical abilities have improved enough as the concept remains intriguing….

·
Banned
0 Posts

1999 Jeep Cherokee, I see allot of these still going strong. Some a little older and some a little newer. Had on for over 12 years was low maintenance and very reliable and great off road in stock form.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
The bean counters are there to make sure corners get cut and the warranty is there in case the final result in mass production proves unreliable.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
While that may be true, I do believe that Dr. Nikolay Shkolnik and his son Alexander Shkolnik both have their doctorates in engineering. They are the designers of the LP engine.
I know exactly who and what they are. Brilliant men, great science minds for sure.

I just want to see it work and work for a long time in many conditions.

The bean counters are there to make sure corners get cut and the warranty is there in case the final result in mass production proves unreliable.
Luckily he's small enough still where he controls the bean counters. That's the only thing that gives me hope and is why the gasoline compression ignition engines have had such a difficult time in development.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts