Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I think a PHEV will have more appeal than a traditional hybrid like the Highlander. I'd be interested in something that gives me 30 or more miles of EV range as most days I'd be pure EV. I'd be very happy with that in a 3 row crossover.

But it cannot have a CVT or some droning 4 cylinder, I have my limits.

Reactions: Pathfinder_actual

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how many Tellurides/Palisades from this era are still on the road two decades from now - and their condition.
I'm not considering either until there's a phev version,, and i'm willing ot bet that kia will beat honda to that by years.
For me, it'll be at least a decade plus a second generation hydrogen model.

What is remarkable is that I look around at the various cars in the parking lot when I go grocery shopping and have only noticed one Sorento of that vintage in the past year, or so.
Maybe the difference is that the local Kia dealer didn't open until 2006.
By comparison, I see many more first generation Pilots.
Yet, I also see relatively few first generation Toyota Highlanders.
That's because @xGS
resides in the upper crust enclaves of the tri-state area. :)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,229 Posts
...and both the hoi and the polloi déclassés.

Speaking of class, back to school:

What do you score on the quiz? No googling! Use your brain only.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
I think a PHEV will have more appeal than a traditional hybrid like the Highlander. I'd be interested in something that gives me 30 or more miles of EV range as most days I'd be pure EV. I'd be very happy with that in a 3 row crossover.

But it cannot have a CVT or some droning 4 cylinder, I have my limits.
I'm far less convinced by PHEV than hybrid. PHEV just seems to add complexity with little range for the return on investment.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I'm far less convinced by PHEV than hybrid. PHEV just seems to add complexity with little range for the return on investment.
My commute is 3 miles each way... PHEV means I'm full EV for my daily commute, which to me is substantially more appealing than a traditional hybrid.

I suppose my use case is unusual though since most people have a one way commute pushing the limits of most PHEVs.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
My commute is 3 miles each way... PHEV means I'm full EV for my daily commute, which to me is substantially more appealing than a traditional hybrid.

I suppose my use case is unusual though since most people have a one way commute pushing the limits of most PHEVs.
If I go anywhere, its typically 40-60 miles. My wife on the other hand is a perfect candidate for an electric car with her 4 mile commute to the station-assuming the office reopens. As long as we have one ICE vehicle we're good for long distance drives plus towing etc.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
As long as we have one ICE vehicle we're good for long distance drives plus towing etc.
This is exactly the way I feel. I could do it for my commute and chances are my wife's next commute will be pretty short too. But one of us needs to have an ICE or we would have to own a 3rd vehicle that's an ICE 3 row for longer trips with the kids.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
THIS is why I have no interest in a PHEV, at least at this point. The neighbor across the street has one after years of BMW ownership. Quietly watching and waiting.

Surprisingly we have several people here in our berg that drive SMART cars for the very reasons mentioned. Short commutes. A friend of ours has one for the wife as she only commutes 3 or 4 miles to work. It looks sooo tiny parked next to their Tahoe.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
THIS is why I have no interest in a PHEV, at least at this point. The neighbor across the street has one after years of BMW ownership. Quietly watching and waiting.

Surprisingly we have several people here in our berg that drive SMART cars for the very reasons mentioned. Short commutes. A friend of ours has one for the wife as she only commutes 3 or 4 miles to work. It looks sooo tiny parked next to their Tahoe.
I've solidly been in the "ABSOLUTELY NO TESLA NEVER IN MY LIFE" camp. I think they look good and I like the innovation but he has proven from day 1 that he can't get the thing 100% complete. It's hard enough for major manufacturers to get vehicles to that point, let alone an upstart. And he is more worried about being able to make fart noises through speakers than how his cars are barreling into emergency vehicles on the highway and bursting into flames in garages. I've always told my car buddies if I got an EV it would NEVER be a Tesla.

/rant

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
At least with a PHEV you have a built-in backup in case you need to travel beyond battery range and/or recharging facilities are unavailable.

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
I've solidly been in the "ABSOLUTELY NO TESLA NEVER IN MY LIFE" camp. I think they look good and I like the innovation but he has proven from day 1 that he can't get the thing 100% complete. It's hard enough for major manufacturers to get vehicles to that point, let alone an upstart. And he is more worried about being able to make fart noises through speakers than how his cars are barreling into emergency vehicles on the highway and bursting into flames in garages. I've always told my car buddies if I got an EV it would NEVER be a Tesla.

/rant
It's not just Tesla though having charing fire problems with the PHEV's. Ford Europe is having issues with their vehicles and fires the Kuga known as the Escape here. BMW has recalled 26K of their PHEV's due to fire risks. I'm not sold on the PHEV at this point and have no desire to own one until they can get the battery/charging issues worked out. Think Boeing and how long it took them to get the Dreamliner back into service.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts

There's supposed to be an executive order issued today setting a target that half of all vehicles sold in the United States be powered by batteries, fuel cells or be hybrid electric by 2030.

Self-charging hybrids I could see, but the recharging infrastructure is going to need massive expansion in the next decade for there to be a reasonable expectation that half of all new cars will be some sort of plug-in. Even if the vehicles are plugged in at home, will the grid be able to provide that capacity?

The fuel economy of the latest version of the presidential limo is reportedly about 3.7 mpg.
If the present administration really wants our vehicles to go electric, then they should be leading by example.

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
There's supposed to be an executive order issued today setting a target that half of all vehicles sold in the United States be powered by batteries, fuel cells or be hybrid electric by 2030.

Self-charging hybrids I could see, but the recharging infrastructure is going to need massive expansion in the next decade for there to be a reasonable expectation that half of all new cars will be some sort of plug-in. Even if the vehicles are plugged in at home, will the grid be able to provide that capacity?

The fuel economy of the latest version of the presidential limo is reportedly about 3.7 mpg.
If the present administration really wants our vehicles to go electric, then they should be leading by example.
Personally I can see some bright engineer at some automaker looking at the LP engine as a solution for hybrid vehicles at least in the intermediary. Think of a new generation of Prius type vehicles with smaller, lighter far more fuel efficient mechanical components. It is already being used in some Military UAV's. Being much smaller and lighter for a similar power output it allows those UAV's to fly farther and longer with the increase capacity for fuel.

As for executive orders and leading by example. that is for another forum other than this one.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Personally I can see some bright engineer at some automaker looking at the LP engine as a solution for hybrid vehicles at least in the intermediary. Think of a new generation of Prius type vehicles with smaller, lighter far more fuel efficient mechanical components. It is already being used in some Military UAV's. Being much smaller and lighter for a similar power output it allows those UAV's to fly farther and longer with the increase capacity for fuel.
Are there (m)any LP refueling stations along the routes you normally travel?

As for executive orders and leading by example. that is for another forum other than this one.
Not necessarily, since it will likely impact the type of powerplant (and perhaps its power output) found under the hoods of upcoming Pilots and Passports.

A Camry hybrid gets about 50 mpg and a Highlander hybrid gets about 35 mpg.
Instead of offering $7500 tax credits for buying an electric vehicle, maybe it would be better to offer $2K tax credits to offset the extra cost of buying the hybrid version of a vehicle.
Also, it might be time for the 'cash for clunkers' program to be reintroduced.
That might be more successful in reducing emissions than trying to convert a significant portion of the nationwide fleet to fully electric or fuel cell vehicles.

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
Are there (m)any LP refueling stations along the routes you normally travel?

Not necessarily, since it will likely impact the type of powerplant (and perhaps its power output) found under the hoods of upcoming Pilots and Passports.

A Camry hybrid gets about 50 mpg and a Highlander hybrid gets about 35 mpg.
Instead of offering $7500 tax credits for buying an electric vehicle, maybe it would be better to offer $2K tax credits to offset the extra cost of buying the hybrid version of a vehicle.
Also, it might be time for the 'cash for clunkers' program to be reintroduced.
That might be more successful in reducing emissions than trying to convert a significant portion of the nationwide fleet to fully electric or fuel cell vehicles.
LP isn't Liquid Petroleum, the LP engine is a Liquid Piston engine.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
LP isn't Liquid Petroleum, the LP engine is a Liquid Piston engine.
Yes, apex seals are proven to be very reliable. And to replace them, you only have to take the entire engine apart.

I watched Warped Perceptions video on them... neat but IMO the rotary is dead. I know Mazda and Hyundai have been toying with compression ignition gasoline engines that have pretty high thermal efficiency numbers and have a familiar (reliable) piston layout.

·
Administrator
4,847 Posts
Yes, apex seals are proven to be very reliable. And to replace them, you only have to take the entire engine apart.

I watched Warped Perceptions video on them... neat but IMO the rotary is dead. I know Mazda and Hyundai have been toying with compression ignition gasoline engines that have pretty high thermal efficiency numbers and have a familiar (reliable) piston layout.
Don't tell the military that. They are already testing LP engines is some of their drones. The LP works quite a bit differently than the old Wankel engine of Mazda fame.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts