Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda pilot EX-L (Big Ronda)
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number
I watch a review of the new Kia Telluride and kept hearing very familiar stats to the 05 Pilot ex-l I bought recently. Since I dont hear very great things about the new pilot models compared to the older models (Just my opinion based on the research I've done) I did this comparison and was pretty surprised. Obviously, the Telluride is 16 year younger. But, they are pretty close stat wise and the Telluride is very easy to repair and service. Which is another similarity to the 1st gen pilots. Ive also heard from the Hyundai/Kia Lamba series V6's are very stout and reliable. I'm going to keep a close eye on these as they age as a replacement for the 1st gen as she ages out.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Stats wise the Passport is its modern day equivalent, albeit with just two rows.
the Telliride/Palisade twins definitely get good press. I just wish the Passport wasn’t so butt ugly.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Early Lambdas have faulty timing chain tensioners, over time the chain can chew a hole in the cover and leak oil. In my '08 Sonata with 168k miles it is currently knocking a little bit when first started before the tensioner rebuilds pressure.

But I am thoroughly impressed with the engine's performance. Good power, even better torque, exceptional NVH and it sounds great. It's happy to rev which makes it more fun to drive with some fervor. We got as high as 29 mpg, which I consider very good for the class at that time.

We've been really happy and I'd love to have another Lambda in our arsenal. Keep me away from the Theta II though.

Reactions: Pathfinder_actual

·
Registered
4,261 Posts

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
How many 2005 Kia Sorentos do you still see on the road versus 2005 Honda Pilots?
About the same. Same with the Santa Fe from that era that had the Lambda engine, see plenty of them on a daily basis.

Now that I have a vehicle that's 14ish years old, I pay attention to other vehicles from that era that I see. I do see a ton of Sonatas, not as many Optimas (they were using the pre-Lambda 2.7 at that time), plenty of Altimas, Camrys and Accord. Almost no Americans or Passats though.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Also, I'd like to point out the 2005 Sorrento was body on frame, had a solid rear axle and had a low range transfer case available. Not very similar to an '05 Pilot.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
Stats wise the Passport is its modern day equivalent, albeit with just two rows.
the Telliride/Palisade twins definitely get good press. I just wish the Passport wasn’t so butt ugly. View attachment 151047

At least i"m not driving some Hot Wheels sized SUV wannabe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Early Lambdas have faulty timing chain tensioners, over time the chain can chew a hole in the cover and leak oil. In my '08 Sonata with 168k miles it is currently knocking a little bit when first started before the tensioner rebuilds pressure.

But I am thoroughly impressed with the engine's performance. Good power, even better torque, exceptional NVH and it sounds great. It's happy to rev which makes it more fun to drive with some fervor. We got as high as 29 mpg, which I consider very good for the class at that time.

We've been really happy and I'd love to have another Lambda in our arsenal. Keep me away from the Theta II though.
Yeah the Lamba 2 has revised most of those issues from what Ive heard at least. Having a timing chain also stands out to someone like me. Plus, there so much room under the hood and around the drivetrain components it stands out as a DIY friendly post warranty vehicle to me. Plus, it looks incredible front to back. Im not the biggest fan of the palisade though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many 2005 Kia Sorentos do you still see on the road versus 2005 Honda Pilots?
The problem is Hyundai/Kia have made big strides between then and now. I thought the Kia stingers where going to fall to pieces being twin turbo. Turns out they are very reliable. I got schooled by a few Stinger enthusiasts on that subject. I guess in a way you could look at it as Kia's suv's have caught up to where Hondas where 16 years ago or so?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Yeah the Lamba 2 has revised most of those issues from what Ive heard at least. Having a timing chain also stands out to someone like me. Plus, there so much room under the hood and around the drivetrain components it stands out as a DIY friendly post warranty vehicle to me. Plus, it looks incredible front to back. Im not the biggest fan of the palisade though.
I will say the Sonata is more home-mechanic friendly than the Traverse or the Pilot. I can change the oil, transmission fluid and coolant without jack stands.

The problem is Hyundai/Kia have made big strides between then and now. I thought the Kia stingers where going to fall to pieces being twin turbo. Turns out they are very reliable. I got schooled by a few Stinger enthusiasts on that subject. I guess in a way you could look at it as Kia's suv's have caught up to where Hondas where 16 years ago or so?
I was all over the new TL-S until I saw the Lambda TT equipped G70 absolutely whip it when one of the youtubers was doing drag races. Too bad the Stinger is probably dead, I love the concept.

Seems rather remarkable that you see just as many Sorentos from circa 2005 as you see first generation Pilots.

It'll be interesting to see how many Tellurides/Palisades from this era are still on the road two decades from now - and their condition.
What is so remarkable about it? Hyundai and Kia were making good vehicles at the time. I still see plenty of Veracruz's so why would I expect not to see plenty of Telluride and Palisades given my personal experience?

I know you haven't been here for long but the early Pilots had this tiny little transmission issue that killed all Honda V6 powertrains of the era. They are old enough now that if the issue wasn't fixed initially or cause other damage that has now materialized they aren't worth fixing.

Now what I would like to see more of is the Borrego, but I guess people just weren't ready for a Korean Tahoe... but getting one with the V8 would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,570 Posts
I see plenty of Sorentos from that era on the road still.

It makes ZERO sense to compare a 2005 SUV with a 2021. To say that the 16 year old vehicle would be better than the brand new one is completely false. The mentality, "they just don't make 'em like they used because of all the electronics" can be true, but things have gotten 100x better.

We could speculate on long term reliability all day but the fact is, nobody knows. They just haven't been out long enough. However, there is no reason that the Pilot (1st, 2nd or 3rd gen) should be the top 3 row SUV just because it's a Honda. People are starting to realize that.

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
What is so remarkable about it?
What is remarkable is that I look around at the various cars in the parking lot when I go grocery shopping and have only noticed one Sorento of that vintage in the past year, or so.
Maybe the difference is that the local Kia dealer didn't open until 2006.
By comparison, I see many more first generation Pilots.
Yet, I also see relatively few first generation Toyota Highlanders.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Plenty of first gen Highlanders and Pilots in my area with some in good shape. The few Sorento or Santa Fe of the generation in our discussion are usually beat to heck. With solid rear axle and 4LO the Sorento could be a hidden cheap gem to mod for some mild rock crawling.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see plenty of Sorentos from that era on the road still.

It makes ZERO sense to compare a 2005 SUV with a 2021. To say that the 16 year old vehicle would be better than the brand new one is completely false. The mentality, "they just don't make 'em like they used because of all the electronics" can be true, but things have gotten 100x better.

We could speculate on long term reliability all day but the fact is, nobody knows. They just haven't been out long enough. However, there is no reason that the Pilot (1st, 2nd or 3rd gen) should be the top 3 row SUV just because it's a Honda. People are starting to realize that.
It wasnt so much a comparison of "they dont make them like they used too" or even as a competitor. For me it was more of a comparable vehicle in terms of specs and some features. I keep an eye on vehicle's as they age to have an idea of what to buy or avoid in the future. I only purchase used vehicles. So it would be 10+ from now for before I'd consider purchasing a Telluride.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
What is remarkable is that I look around at the various cars in the parking lot when I go grocery shopping and have only noticed one Sorento of that vintage in the past year, or so.
Maybe the difference is that the local Kia dealer didn't open until 2006.
Come on up and visit me, I'll buy you some crabcakes and we can go Sorento hunting.

Plenty of first gen Highlanders and Pilots in my area with some in good shape. The few Sorento or Santa Fe of the generation in our discussion are usually beat to heck. With solid rear axle and 4LO the Sorento could be a hidden cheap gem to mod for some mild rock crawling.
I don't see many first gen Highlanders either, not sure why as I've never heard of major reliability issues.

The guys at TFL have been trying to find a first gen Sorento to do a video series on, usually once or twice a year they try to pick up some affordable off-roaders and do a series on them.

It wasnt so much a comparison of "they dont make them like they used too" or even as a competitor. For me it was more of a comparable vehicle in terms of specs and some features. I keep an eye on vehicle's as they age to have an idea of what to buy or avoid in the future. I only purchase used vehicles. So it would be 10+ from now for before I'd consider purchasing a Telluride.
With how complicated vehicles are now, I'd be pretty afraid to buy a 10 year used, high featured any brand or model. I can turn wrenches and am mildly proficient with basic relay style wiring, but everything on new vehicles is computer controlled and you can't even diagnose things without having the right computer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Come on up and visit me, I'll buy you some crabcakes and we can go Sorento hunting.

I don't see many first gen Highlanders either, not sure why as I've never heard of major reliability issues.

The guys at TFL have been trying to find a first gen Sorento to do a video series on, usually once or twice a year they try to pick up some affordable off-roaders and do a series on them.

With how complicated vehicles are now, I'd be pretty afraid to buy a 10 year used, high featured any brand or model. I can turn wrenches and am mildly proficient with basic relay style wiring, but everything on new vehicles is computer controlled and you can't even diagnose things without having the right computer.
True. But, unfortunately that's what will be available. And personally this seems like the lesser of the "evils". Generally, the Kia/Hyundai are cheaper and easier to fix. Im hoping that carries over to at least some of the electronics. I remember thinking the same thing about our Lexus but, electronics have been flawless. Guess time will tell.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts