Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd wait.

I wouldn’t hold your breath. I had a 2015 Honda CR-V Touring and Honda did a similar survey to add CarPlay and went so far as sent users a download link to beta test it. It was never widely released.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The current Accord already has wireless carplay/android auto. The rest of the Honda lineup is supposed to get them this year.
I was supposed to get a new CRV last year but decided to wait.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
The current Accord already has wireless carplay/android auto. The rest of the Honda lineup is supposed to get them this year.
I was supposed to get a new CRV last year but decided to wait.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The fact that a new Accord has wireless CarPlay is meaningless for older cars without it. Look at the 2016 Pilot, why doesn’t it have CarPlay when the rest of the current generation has it?

·
Registered
813 Posts
The fact that a new Accord has wireless CarPlay is meaningless for older cars without it. Look at the 2016 Pilot, why doesn’t it have CarPlay when the rest of the current generation has it?
CarPlay wasn't a thing when the 2016 Pilot was released. I think adding carplay required a hardware change which is why they couldn't add it. I think Mazda was doing a thing where you pay $200 and they install the proper hardware needed for carplay. It would've been nice if Honda did the same thing where you could go to the dealer and buy carplay. At least they added it for 2017.

I don't think wireless carplay requires extra hardware. Wireless carplay just runs off bluetooth which cars already have.

·
Registered
168 Posts
CarPlay wasn't a thing when the 2016 Pilot was released. I think adding carplay required a hardware change which is why they couldn't add it. I think Mazda was doing a thing where you pay $200 and they install the proper hardware needed for carplay. It would've been nice if Honda did the same thing where you could go to the dealer and buy carplay. At least they added it for 2017.

I don't think wireless carplay requires extra hardware. Wireless carplay just runs off bluetooth which cars already have.
CarPlay was announced in 2013 with it appearing in cars in 2015. My 2016 Ford F-150 had CarPlay, it existed prior to the launch of the 3rd Generation Pilot. Wireless CarPlay used WiFi not Bluetooth. I have Wireless CarPlay in my beater Subaru.

·
Registered
813 Posts
CarPlay was announced in 2013 with it appearing in cars in 2015. My 2016 Ford F-150 had CarPlay, it existed prior to the launch of the 3rd Generation Pilot. Wireless CarPlay used WiFi not Bluetooth. I have Wireless CarPlay in my beater Subaru.
It was announced in 2013? Wow! I remember in around 2016 or so I was checking if my ford would get it but the only Ford on the list at that time was the 2017 Escape. It could be that Ford added carplay to the 2016 f150 after I saw the list, but when I saw the list it was just the Escape.

Guess only Honda knows why the 2016 Pilot didnt get Carplay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So currently there are three companies that make a adapter to turn carplay into Wireless. I want to know if anyone has tested any of these on a 2021 Honda Pilot?

Buy the CPLAY2air dongle direct - http://bit.ly/CPLAY2air
Buy CarLinkit 2.0 dongle - https://bit.ly/CarLinkitV2
Buy JoyeAuto http://bit.ly/joyeautocarplay

Also here is a link of a guy that reviewed each model:
Did you ever find a compatible wireless carplay adapter for the 2021 Pilot? I tried the Carlinkit 2.0 dongle, but my 2021 Pilot nor my iphone X and my wife's iphone 12 would not even detect any signal from it. The Pilot didn't recognize it as a vlid carplay device, and the iphones didn't show any bluetooth device or wifi signal when the dongle was plugged into the Pilot's carplay usb port. I'm still looking for a compatible Wireless carplay adapter (dongle).

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I ended up going with the CarLinKit 2.0 (2021 Carlinkit2.0 Wired to Wireless CarPlay/Compatible with Factory Carplay Cars /carplay Wireless adapter/CPC200-U2W-Plus Black.. Amazon.com: 2021 Carlinkit2.0 Wired to Wireless CarPlay/Compatible with Factory Carplay Cars /carplay Wireless adapter/CPC200-U2W-Plus Black..: Electronics) and it works flawlessly in my 2021 Pilot EX-L AWD. Installs neatly and worked as soon as I plugged it in and paired it.

View attachment 151596

View attachment 151597
Really? I have not heard one good thing about these. So, can you use Maps and stream Apple Music and receive and respond to texts at the same time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, all of that works. The only thing is if my phone is in my pocket the gps for maps has trouble finding exactly where I am (lags behind or slightly off of the road). But if it’s laying on my console no issues.
When I first got it I screwed up the firmware by trying to update it and accidentally unplugging it. I fixed it by downloading the July 2021 firmware and it’s worked great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I guess I'm missing the point of wireless. I charge my phone in the car a lot of times
For me it’s drive distance. My drive from home to work is like 5 minutes. I may get a text or need to answer/make a call, but don’t really want to plug/unplug the phone for that short of a trip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Really? I have not heard one good thing about these. So, can you use Maps and stream Apple Music and receive and respond to texts at the same time.
I saw DVST8s’ post about his success getting it to work and ordered one. With the firmware it had I could only get it to work in the initial connection, no matter what I tried. The Pilot’s system would show AirPlay as an option for a few seconds and then grey it out. But after doing the OTs”A firmware upgrade it’s been working solidly through multiple drives. Two slight performance issues: skipping songs or anything like that has a slight lag compared to wired. And if you try to watch videos like TikTok (while parked waiting on the kids for example) there is a very noticeable delay in the audio vs the video on the phone. Both are not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
40 Posts
Will the 2022 have wireless carplay?
Highly doubtful since it will still be the same generation model. My guess is this is something we will see in the 2023 model that is supposed to be completely redesigned.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
For me it’s drive distance. My drive from home to work is like 5 minutes. I may get a text or need to answer/make a call, but don’t really want to plug/unplug the phone for that short of a trip.
You can’t make or answer a phone call via Bluetoot?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw DVST8s’ post about his success getting it to work and ordered one. With the firmware it had I could only get it to work in the initial connection, no matter what I tried. The Pilot’s system would show AirPlay as an option for a few seconds and then grey it out. But after doing the OTs”A firmware upgrade it’s been working solidly through multiple drives. Two slight performance issues: skipping songs or anything like that has a slight lag compared to wired. And if you try to watch videos like TikTok (while parked waiting on the kids for example) there is a very noticeable delay in the audio vs the video on the phone. Both are not a big deal to me.
How Did you do the firmware upgrade? Where did you downlod the firmware? Which version is it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
How Did you do the firmware upgrade? Where did you downlod the firmware? Which version is it?
I just followed the instructions that came with it for how to update...there's a QR code that takes you to a site and it tells you exactly what to do. It was an OTA, so didn't need to download anything, just needed to be connected to my iPhone. Simple process and it is still working well for me.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts