Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. All,

I’m seeing a lot of posts where Pilot owners of all years are having hatch leak issues. Has anyone with a 2021 experienced this? We have a 2021 with less than 200 miles on it and upon taking it to the car wash for the first time, the attendant drying the car called me over after opening the hatch to show me water pouring in at the seat belt hole molding on the roof as well as the side panel. The water runs down the side panel and soaks the cargo area. Before I contact the dealer I wanted to understand if anyone had a similar situation and what was done to rectify the situation? Thanks all.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
If it's a 2021- They SHOULD be fixing that FS.

" the attendant drying the car called me over after opening the hatch to show me water pouring in at the seat belt hole molding on the roof as well as the side panel. The water runs down the side panel and soaks the cargo area. "

I believe you, I just can't picture where this is on the Pilot.

any diagrams or pictures?

Good luck

·
Registered
215 Posts
From reading this site, I thought the leaking issue was fixed after 2017 or 2018. Maybe the porter accidentally opened the hatch during car wash?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the same about the hatch not being completely closed but why would it only be on one side? It rained today and we also sprayed water onto the hatch area and it’s dry. Here are some pics. Thanks again.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had that issue with my 2017 Pilot EX. Water was getting into the tailgate and when lifted up was draining through the wiring conduit at the upper right into the rear cabin area just like you said and pictured. They charged me almost $300 and said they resealed around the tail lights. Well some water is still getting into the liftgate, but it no longer runs into the cabin through the conduit. I removed the plugs along the bottom edge of the liftgate so it could drain but water is still getting in the liftgate a little because I notice it draining along each side of the liftgate when I raise it up. Can't believe Honda is still pushing out Pilots with this problem.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You say hatch area is dry but you show a picture of water dripping from the headliner?? Are you saying this leak occurs prior to opening the rear hatch? If so it could be leaking at the roof seam, underneath the roof rail molding. There is a spot weld seam underneath the molding. If it’s not sealed properly then water can intrude and leak into the cabin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to my friends bodyshop and we pulled the roof rail molding to check the seam sealer and it looks as it should. We also ran water from a hose on the roof and could not replicate the issue. My guess is that the hatch filled up with some water and emptied into the cargo area through the rubber conduit when it was opened. It’s raining today and so far no water in the truck. Seriously considering bringing it in for service as this should not be happening with a new car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
There have been problems with insufficient sealing of spot weld seams on Pilots and Passports Rear Hatches. The leak allows water to enter the rear hatch and when the hatch is opened the water flows out of the hatch through the wire conduits into the cabin. See thread below post # 139

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the valuable information, I’m going to look around to see what I can find and then I’ll decide what to do. If it’s something some seam sealer or clear silicone can fix, I may go that route to avoid the dealer STRESS.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you all for the valuable information, I’m going to look around to see what I can find and then I’ll decide what to do. If it’s something some seam sealer or clear silicone can fix, I may go that route to avoid the dealer STRESS.
Do 2020-2021s have this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it happened again today but this time on the left side. Same scenario, went to get the car washed and upon opening the hatch water enters the rear of the cargo area from the side panel seam (No seatbelt hole on this side). Again, this is a 2021 with under 200 miles and we're beyond frustrated. I'm convinced that the hatch is filling up and when it's opened it's coming through the rubber conduit and into the cargo area. Hearing all the horror stories about the dealer makes me apprehensive about taking it in for repair...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is there a TSB for this. I bring mine in for the radio static this week.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, it happened again today but this time on the left side. Same scenario, went to get the car washed and upon opening the hatch water enters the rear of the cargo area from the side panel seam (No seatbelt hole on this side). Again, this is a 2021 with under 200 miles and we're beyond frustrated. I'm convinced that the hatch is filling up and when it's opened it's coming through the rubber conduit and into the cargo area. Hearing all the horror stories about the dealer makes me apprehensive about taking it in for repair...
Best to do some detective work prior to taking to the dealer for repair. Use a garden hose to try and localize the leak. Start low and spray around the tail lights and if it doesn’t leak move up to the roof. Also try to differentiate driver vs passenger side. For whatever reason the dealers don’t like to do the diagnostic work on water leaks. Maybe they don’t get paid for investigations unless there are a couple of failed repair attempts?

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
It sound like its the same problem that some of the older 3rd generation Pilots had. The rubber tubing for the wiper fluid is to long and it loops down into the hatch's weather strip. Water runs down into the hatch where it should not be. The fix was to simply cut an inch or 2 of tubing off so it doesn't loop down into the weather strip when it shuts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts