Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market as I am sure a few other people are. I thought it would be nice to have a spot to compare prices for the 2021 models. The 2020's will be running out and people that want specific color options will be forced to buy the 2021's. Please share any pricing info. Be as detailed as possible so everyone can compare fairly (meaning include the taxes and incentives since those are different between different locations. Also include the final out the door cost with destination and any options included (Honda Pro Pack, Extended Warranty, Running Boards, etc.). I am personally interested in a 2021 Pilot Elite (White with Beige interior).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am in the market as I am sure a few other people are. I thought it would be nice to have a spot to compare prices for the 2021 models. The 2020's will be running out and people that want specific color options will be forced to buy the 2021's. Please share any pricing info. Be as detailed as possible so everyone can compare fairly (meaning include the taxes and incentives since those are different between different locations. Also include the final out the door cost with destination and any options included (Honda Pro Pack, Extended Warranty, Running Boards, etc.). I am personally interested in a 2021 Pilot Elite (White with Beige interior).
I'm picking up my 2021 Pilot EXL AWD White on beige tomorrow. Before taxes, fees etc. it was $36,400 which included the $1k Honda customer disc. I added the heated steering wheel for $578 installed. I wanted door guards which dealer said to buy elsewhere for cheaper and he'd install. I haven't decided on the extended warranty. the 3y/36k is only bumper to bumper for year 1 and years 2 & 3 are mfg. defects only. Hmm. That was news to me as I signed on the dotted line. Does anyone have comments on the 3/36? Given that I had a lemon of a 2019, I'm debating about the extended coverage - which would have to include technology coverage. Would love to hear other's comments

·
Registered
861 Posts
Honda factory warranty on a new Pilot is 36/36 bumper to bumper, except for some listed items. Glass, trim, etc and wear items such as brakes are not covered usually. Everything else that isn't listed on the warranty declaration would be covered.

If you get any extended coverage, I would highly recommend the Honda Care plan and not an aftermarket one. Honored at Honda dealerships in the US and Canada, and pretty affordable in my opinion for what it covers. You can check previous posts on the board. However as an example, I got mine for $1345.00, 96 months, 120000 miles, $0.00 deductible buying from one of the well known dealers who sell on line.

The dealer I purchased my Pilot from would not come down on his price of over $1000.00 more for the same plan. Well worth it for me since we are planning on keeping the Pilot a long time, so I bought on line with no problems.

Reactions: viper74656

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread! I’m banking on making a purchase on an SE Labor Day weekend. I wonder if there’s any sales/incentives.
I’ve received quotes so far, $38555 before taxes and fees being the lowest in the NYC area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Honda factory warranty on a new Pilot is 36/36 bumper to bumper, except for some listed items. Glass, trim, etc and wear items such as brakes are not covered usually. Everything else that isn't listed on the warranty declaration would be covered.

If you get any extended coverage, I would highly recommend the Honda Care plan and not an aftermarket one. Honored at Honda dealerships in the US and Canada, and pretty affordable in my opinion for what it covers. You can check previous posts on the board. However as an example, I got mine for $1345.00, 96 months, 120000 miles, $0.00 deductible buying from one of the well known dealers who sell on line.

The dealer I purchased my Pilot from would not come down on his price of over $1000.00 more for the same plan. Well worth it for me since we are planning on keeping the Pilot a long time, so I bought on line with no problems.
The financial person at the dealer orig. quoted $3285 and then she magically found a coupon that reduced the plan to $2285, but it doesn't include technology coverage. I have a year to shop around. Given how much trouble I had with my 2019, it might be good insurance. It took Honda over a year to issue 3 recalls, one of which they don't have the part for yet. I hope I didn't make a mistake buying a 2nd Pilot. I've had Toyotas since 1978 with no issues. Of course computers weren't driving the cars back then (Corolla, Supra, Camry wagon, Highlander for 13.5 yrs).

·
Registered
10,328 Posts

If I buy a vehicle and do not buy the dealership extended warranty, How long can I wait before buying the Honda Care plan?

·
Registered
861 Posts
If I buy a vehicle and do not buy the dealership extended warranty, How long can I wait before buying the Honda Care plan?
I believe up until the factory 36/36 is about to expire. Which ever comes first, the months or the miles. Buying a used Honda certified vehicle may give you more options but I think you have to buy it on the same day you buy the used CPO vehicle from what others have posted on the forum.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I believe up until the factory 36/36 is about to expire. Which ever comes first, the months or the miles. Buying a used Honda certified vehicle may give you more options but I think you have to buy it on the same day you buy the used CPO vehicle from what others have posted on the forum.
That's great info!
Dealerships always try to get you to buy the warranty when the vehicle is brand new and finance it into your payment. If you wait just before 3 years or 36k miles, you can save a ton of interest on top of buying the Honda Care warranty online at a lower price. 👍 😉

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
35 Posts
That's great info!
Dealerships always try to get you to buy the warranty when the vehicle is brand new and finance it into your payment. If you wait just before 3 years or 36k miles, you can save a ton of interest on top of buying the Honda Care warranty online at a lower price. 👍 😉
While I agree that the best approach is to buy Honda Care online (much cheaper than most dealers) and that you can wait until the factory warranty is about to expire, once you hit 6,000 miles the price of Honda Care will start to go up, so technically it's cheaper to buy it before reaching that threshold.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
While I agree that the best approach is to buy Honda Care online (much cheaper than most dealers) and that you can wait until the factory warranty is about to expire, once you hit 6,000 miles the price of Honda Care will start to go up, so technically it's cheaper to buy it before reaching that threshold.
Ah, didn't know it went up. I guess you'd have to calculate that into the equation according to your driving habbits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree. At that price I would just buy it now online outside of the financing. There is always the risk that the warranty goes up especially if they start having a few issues and people actually start using the extended warranties.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm picking up my 2021 Pilot EXL AWD White on beige tomorrow. Before taxes, fees etc. it was $36,400 which included the $1k Honda customer disc. I added the heated steering wheel for $578 installed. I wanted door guards which dealer said to buy elsewhere for cheaper and he'd install. I haven't decided on the extended warranty. the 3y/36k is only bumper to bumper for year 1 and years 2 & 3 are mfg. defects only. Hmm. That was news to me as I signed on the dotted line. Does anyone have comments on the 3/36? Given that I had a lemon of a 2019, I'm debating about the extended coverage - which would have to include technology coverage. Would love to hear other's comments
Definitely get the extended warranty, but get it from College Hills Honda or Hyannis. $1449 for $0 deductibe 120k plan on my 2020 Touring.

I bought it because of all the electronics that can go bad i.e. LED headlights, infotainment, electric tailgate etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm about to return my 2021 that is 48 hrs old. Auto on high beams go on in the daylight, back up camera has no grid lines unless you turn the wheel 180 deg., heated steering wheel installation was atrocious (loose parts, mismatched finish) pieces, brakes are way too stiff to be safe. Spent 18 months in a lemon Pilot. This has to go. Only way I'd keep it is if they give me bumper to bumper for a c-note. less than 48 hrs and it's in the shop.
I was hopeful (front seats are improved). Push button shifter - meh. Engine shut off when stopped has to go. P.I.T.A

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm about to return my 2021 that is 48 hrs old. Auto on high beams go on in the daylight, back up camera has no grid lines unless you turn the wheel 180 deg., heated steering wheel installation was atrocious (loose parts, mismatched finish) pieces, brakes are way too stiff to be safe. Spent 18 months in a lemon Pilot. This has to go. Only way I'd keep it is if they give me bumper to bumper for a c-note. less than 48 hrs and it's in the shop.
I was hopeful (front seats are improved). Push button shifter - meh. Engine shut off when stopped has to go. P.I.T.A
It sounds like you had a bad experience with your last Pilot. This doesn't sound like the vehicle for you -- why did you buy another one?

Some additional info would be helpful here. What do you mean by "auto on high beams go on in the daylight"? Are you going through a tunnel or something that's causing your automatic lights go turn on? Gridlines for your reverse camera can be turned off and on in settings. I'm not sure what else could be going on there. The heated steering wheel installation, assuming you had the dealer do this, is a dealer issue, not a Pilot issue. It sounds like you might need to try a different dealer. As for the brakes -- if they're too stiff for you, this seems like another thing that would've been realized during a test drive.

It sounds like you were prepared to hate the vehicle before you ever drove it. Sell it and move on. Complaining about a push button shifter after you just paid $35k+ for a car with a push button shifter doesn't make you seem like the most reasonable buyer, to put it lightly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It sounds like you had a bad experience with your last Pilot. This doesn't sound like the vehicle for you -- why did you buy another one?

Some additional info would be helpful here. What do you mean by "auto on high beams go on in the daylight"? Are you going through a tunnel or something that's causing your automatic lights go turn on? Gridlines for your reverse camera can be turned off and on in settings. I'm not sure what else could be going on there. The heated steering wheel installation, assuming you had the dealer do this, is a dealer issue, not a Pilot issue. It sounds like you might need to try a different dealer. As for the brakes -- if they're too stiff for you, this seems like another thing that would've been realized during a test drive.

It sounds like you were prepared to hate the vehicle before you ever drove it. Sell it and move on. Complaining about a push button shifter after you just paid $35k+ for a car with a push button shifter doesn't make you seem like the most reasonable buyer, to put it lightly.
You're mistaken. I wanted very much to like the car. It was 8

·
Registered
31 Posts
You're mistaken. I wanted very much to like the car. It was quite an ordeal in the original car to capture and document the intermittent issues that were occurring. It took months of frustration. Getting into a new car was a big relief. Gridlines in the back up camera alert proximity when in reverse. No lines, no beeps nothng except a picture like thre dude view mirror where objects aappear closer than they
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
31 Posts
You're mistaken. I wanted very much to like the car. It was quite an ordeal in the original car to capture and document the intermittent issues that were occurring. It took months of frustration. Getting into a new car was a big relief. Gridlines in the back up camera alert proximity when in reverse. No lines, no beeps nothng except a picture like the side view mirror where objects arppear closer than they are. Auto on high beams should not come on while driving at 8 a.m. on a sunny morning on an open road. I don't know you and who are you to judge my experience. I really want a car that doesnt have to go in for repairs often.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
277 Posts
1. Gridlines are a setting. Yours are probably off right now.

2. Did the issue with the lights happen repeatedly, or once? It's hard to offer any constructive input when you offer very little information about the problem.

I'm not "judging your experience", I'm baffled as to why you bought the same car you hated and got rid of. It's a valid question.

All of that aside, there's more than one Honda dealer within 50 miles of many locations. If you're having repeated problems, you may be experiencing dealer issues rather than car issues. Your experience with the poorly installed heated steering wheel leads me to that statement. Have you tried a different dealer??

·
Registered
31 Posts
1. Gridlines are a setting. Yours are probably off right now.

2. Did the issue with the lights happen repeatedly, or once? It's hard to offer any constructive input when you offer very little information about the problem.

I'm not "judging your experience", I'm baffled as to why you bought the same car you hated and got rid of. It's a valid question.

All of that aside, there's more than one Honda dealer within 50 miles of many locations. If you're having repeated problems, you may be experiencing dealer issues rather than car issues. Your experience with the poorly installed heated steering wheel leads me to that statement. Have you tried a different dealer??
I don’t hate the Pilot. Poor choice of YOUR words. I was excited to get the first one after 13 yrs. in a Highlander. The car was riddled with bugs from the first month. Then I found out about the recall and class action suit involving that model year in 2020. Many trips to two dealers over 18 months and no improvement. Dealer offered to buy the ‘19 (and sell me a new car if I wanted) when he saw a couple of the issues first hand as well as videos of system failures. We found a ‘21 that had no current or previous recalls associated with it. A promising omen. I was excited again given that the recall fixes created more issues in the ‘19 car. I still like the Pilot.

Please know, the grid lines are ON. Triple checked. They amber lines appear if the wheel is turned 180 deg and only the amber, never yellow except for the 3rd option viewing. If I back up with a post behind, there is no way to tell in the view when I’m close to the post. The 19 pilot worked fine in this respect (except when the camera went dark).
I had the car 36 hrs. The high beam issue happened once so far with 4 cars coming toward me in a straight line during DAYLIGHT.
Are you a tech? I don’t have time to drive to other dealers that are +30 mi. away for issues. Never had a problems with any my Toyota’s (Corolla, Supra, Camry, Highlander ) or Mercedes since 1978. Just usual maintenance and wear and tear stuff. Except for the Corolla, all cars were driven >115-197k miles. The 98 Forester was a money pit. If the installing dealer screwed up and did a crappy install, they own it. The dealer I brought my first Pilot from stole things out of my car. They were 30 miles away. I ditched them for a local shop.
You are judging me. I bought the car again because Honda has a decent reputation and gave the model the benefit of the doubt. I got a lemon on the first go round. I tried to have confidence that the second one won’t go south on me.
You are very defensive re: Honda. Your experience is different than mine. Good for you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don’t hate the Pilot. Poor choice of YOUR words. I was excited to get the first one after 13 yrs. in a Highlander. The car was riddled with bugs from the first month. Then I found out about the recall and class action suit involving that model year in 2020. Many trips to two dealers over 18 months and no improvement. Dealer offered to buy the ‘19 (and sell me a new car if I wanted) when he saw a couple of the issues first hand as well as videos of system failures. We found a ‘21 that had no current or previous recalls associated with it. A promising omen. I was excited again given that the recall fixes created more issues in the ‘19 car. I still like the Pilot.

Please know, the grid lines are ON. Triple checked. They amber lines appear if the wheel is turned 180 deg and only the amber, never yellow except for the 3rd option viewing. If I back up with a post behind, there is no way to tell in the view when I’m close to the post. The 19 pilot worked fine in this respect (except when the camera went dark).
I had the car 36 hrs. The high beam issue happened once so far with 4 cars coming toward me in a straight line during DAYLIGHT.
Are you a tech? I don’t have time to drive to other dealers that are +30 mi. away for issues. Never had a problems with any my Toyota’s (Corolla, Supra, Camry, Highlander ) or Mercedes since 1978. Just usual maintenance and wear and tear stuff. Except for the Corolla, all cars were driven >115-197k miles. The 98 Forester was a money pit. If the installing dealer screwed up and did a crappy install, they own it. The dealer I brought my first Pilot from stole things out of my car. They were 30 miles away. I ditched them for a local shop.
You are judging me. I bought the car again because Honda has a decent reputation and gave the model the benefit of the doubt. I got a lemon on the first go round. I tried to have confidence that the second one won’t go south on me.
You are very defensive re: Honda. Your experience is different than mine. Good for you.
I'm not defensive at all -- I don't care what anyone chooses to drive, and I haven't always owned Hondas. If you had communicated in your first post as well as you (finally) do above, I wouldn't have felt the need to respond to you at all. You made it sound like you traded your old Pilot for a new Pilot after your first one was riddled with issues, which made no sense. Now you're finally clarifying that the dealer worked out a deal for you to get out of the old and into the new as an (informal?) buyback. That's helpful information.

You're just now mentioning for the first time that the grid lines are on. Also very helpful information. I would suspect that something happened when the dealer installed the new steering wheel, but I'm not a tech.

YOU started your post with "I'm about to return my 2021 that is 48 hours old". Then you went on to lament how bad the car sucked, including the push button shifter, the brakes, the auto shut off, etc. Now you suddenly like the vehicle. I don't care whether you like the vehicle or not, but it's not being "defensive" to try to figure out what you're trying to communicate or to suggest that you quit doing the same thing repeatedly (visiting the same dealer) and expecting different results.

Anyway, if you don't want any input, and you don't want any reaction from people, then maybe you shouldn't post on a forum for your vehicle where people assume you're looking for constructive communication. Sometimes yelling into the void is the better option. Good luck with the repairs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts