Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the things I like about the car. Keep in mind I'm comparing this to my old 06 LX.
  • Heated Seats, this was my number 1 have to have in my next car.
  • Remote start, so far haven't had to put it to too much use since I'm still working from home.
  • Radio, the one in the 06 couldn't pull in local stations to save its life. Plus the Sirius, Car Play, etc are nice.
  • Steering/Handling, everything is new so the ride is a lot more plush.
  • Backup Camera, nice to have, but I still don't trust it.
  • Better gas milage. Have only done city driving so far.
  • Arm rests on the front seats, makes it seem a little more like a mini van, but I like them.
  • Increased leg room for second row.
  • The whole keyless ignition, auto lock, auto lights, the technology in general.

Now the things that I think were a miss or features it should have.
  • Door Courtesy lights, the 06 LX had em.
  • High/Style of rear cargo entry. Seems a bit high and the ledge a bit shallow.
  • Center console storage. While I do like the big central bin, I preferred the layout of the 06 in regards to the breaking up of the storage/cupholders there and the additional storage areas below the radio. I guess this is a trade off with having the shifter not on the column.

Things that won't really be an issue until I start doing my own work on the car.
  • Engine bay bulkhead cover. What a pain, already had one of the clip pins fall out. Had to fish it out of the front wheel well.
  • Air intake, again a pain to have to remove this just to get to the battery. Again, on of the clips popped out on reinstall. And again had to fish it out of the wheel well (got pretty good at by this point).
  • No way to check the transmission fluid.
  • Overall ground clearance seems a bit lower. At least to me when trying to get under on the creeper cart.

Overall I'm very happy with the car. I just installed the S-VCM and maybe it's just in my head, but the engine feels a little more responsive and the ride a little smoother.

Possible future additions include trailer hitch, aftermarket power lift gate, and Weather Tech floor mats (I've got some cheapie MotorTrend in there for now.

Registered
Might think about dumping those Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS factory tires for something, you know, a little more able to handle a high speed turn. Feel free to PM me. 馃榿

Registered
Reactions: Highspeedbail

Registered
I have over 64K miles on my original Bridgestone Duellers on my 2017 EX. But they are and have always been noisy tires.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Current tires are nice enough for now. I the past I've run the Michelin LTX. I've got a friend that's a manager at a large tire retailer so I can usually get a pretty good discount on tires. I'll keep the suggestions in mind when it comes time to replace these.

Registered
Of course, if the OP wants a truly high quality tire that's made in the USA, then there's this one:

Those look expensive.

Registered
Not if you do a price match and get a rebate.
Sounds like a lot of red tape and trouble to me. Why can't the big guy at corporate sell at an honest profit in the first place?

Registered
Price match, rebate and a friend writing up your sale all help with the final cost.
It's nice to have a friend behind the counter. Some of us have to go it alone.

Registered
Sounds like a lot of red tape and trouble to me. Why can't the big guy at corporate sell at an honest profit in the first place?
View attachment 144597
Not really.
You're going to shop for the lowest price, anyway.
So, show proof of the price to the local tire shop.
They match the price, fill out the rebate form for you and submit it.
A check arrives in the mail a few weeks later.
No need to order the tires online, have them dumped on your doorstep and then have to schlep them to the installer.
Plus, I can see the tires I'm getting before paying for them.

Registered
Not really.
You're going to shop for the lowest price, anyway.
So, show proof of the price to the local tire shop.
They match the price, fill out the rebate form for you and submit it.
A check arrives in the mail a few weeks later.
No need to order the tires online, have them dumped on your doorstep and then have to schlep them to the installer.
Plus, I can see the tires I'm getting before paying for them.
Good points.
But I don't consider taking tires to my local shop a nuisance. They can get me in and out in less than an hour. Discount Tire or Firestone is a 20 min drive and a nightmare when you get there.
Are we talking Michelin Defenders?

Registered
Good points.
But I don't consider taking tires to my local shop a nuisance. They can get me in and out in less than an hour. Discount Tire or Firestone is a 20 min drive and a nightmare when you get there.
Are we talking Michelin Defenders?
It usually takes two visits to the tire shop.
The first is to confirm the price match, arrange for them to get the tires in from their warehouse and make an appointment for the installation. Second visit for the installation. Total time for both visits is no more than an hour.

The two most recent sets of tires I've purchased were the Toyo Open Country Q/T for the Pilot and the General AltiMax RT43 for another vehicle.
Quiet All-Season Tires For SUV and CUV | Open Country Q/T
AltiMAX鈩 RT43

Registered
It usually takes two visits to the tire shop.
The first is to confirm the price match, arrange for them to get the tires in from their warehouse and make an appointment for the installation. Second visit for the installation. Total time for both visits is no more than an hour.

The two most recent sets of tires I've purchased were the Toyo Open Country Q/T for the Pilot and the General AltiMax RT43 for another vehicle.
Quiet All-Season Tires For SUV and CUV | Open Country Q/T
AltiMAX鈩 RT43
How do to like the general altimiaxs? Any snow experiences with them ?

Registered
How do to like the general altimiaxs? Any snow experiences with them ?
I've had them for a couple of years (on a front-wheel-drive car with traction control) and they seem to perform well in all conditions. Ride quality and handling is good, too. I'd buy them again. If the snow is really deep, then I'll take the Pilot.

Registered
I've had them for a couple of years (on a front-wheel-drive car with traction control) and they seem to perform well in all conditions. Ride quality and handling is good, too. I'd buy them again. If the snow is really deep, then I'll take the Pilot.
I had some general snow tires on my last 2 accords, then I bought blizzaks (ws80) thinking they would be huge upgrade. Let me tell you all, my 7 yr old generals outperformed my blizzaks in every condition and category except road noise. I had zero doubts in the snow with my generals but alway second guessed things with my blizzaks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts