Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Just curious what people paid a dealership to install the tow hitch and hands free adapter (NO transmission cooler) on a 2019/2020 pilot.
Dealer quoted me 2 hours to complete at a cost of $275 and that seems high.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hi.

Just curious what people paid a dealership to install the tow hitch and hands free adapter (NO transmission cooler) on a 2019/2020 pilot.

Thanks.
2 hours doesn't sound unreasonable. But no, I don't like the cost per hour.
I recommend getting the transmission cooler regardless of how much weight your wanting to pull.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They quoted another 3 hours for the transmission cooler :rolleyes:...
But if you're only towing 4 bicycles I don't think it's worth the cost.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
They quoted another 3 hours for the transmission cooler :rolleyes:...
But if you're only towing 4 bicycles I don't think it's worth the cost.
If your not towing and you just want it for a rack or basket. Buy the kit without a harness and install yourself. It's only 4 bolts. Does your bumper have the cut out for it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought and installed a receiver hitch for my minivan (before the Pilot), then found out U-Haul would sell and install one for just $20 more or so. Check them out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I just purchased a 2020 Touring and am sourcing a tow hitch. What I found is that the OEM version is likely the best option for me as it comes with the replacement bumper piece that fits perfectly, and only leaves the receiver and the 7 pin connection visible. I say this is the best option for me because our driveway curb is high and the after market receiver sits lower, since it has to clear the bumper. It’s a good 3 to 4” lower than the Honda OEM version. You can get them online from eBay or Various on-line Honda Parts dealers for between $305 and $335. Will need someone to assist as the 41 lb hitch has to be bolted on and help holding it while you bolt it on would make it go smoother. Only takes under an hour to install. I’ve got one ordered and will be looking for the wiring harness next. OEM wiring harness is about $178 to $200 with shipping and only takes 45 minutes to install. FYI.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hi. I just purchased a 2020 Touring and am sourcing a tow hitch. What I found is that the OEM version is likely the best option for me as it comes with the replacement bumper piece that fits perfectly, and only leaves the receiver and the 7 pin connection visible. I say this is the best option for me because our driveway curb is high and the after market receiver sits lower, since it has to clear the bumper. It’s a good 3 to 4” lower than the Honda OEM version. You can get them online from eBay or Various on-line Honda Parts dealers for between $305 and $335. Will need someone to assist as the 41 lb hitch has to be bolted on and help holding it while you bolt it on would make it go smoother. Only takes under an hour to install. I’ve got one ordered and will be looking for the wiring harness next. OEM wiring harness is about $178 to $200 with shipping and only takes 45 minutes to install. FYI.
I installed the OEM for the clean look.
I soloed it using a jack stand(s) to hold up one side. While I worked on the other. But yes, a helper would have been nice.
I bought mine a the dealership with a 20% off deal. And was able to pick up next day. The up front price was higher than online, but the shipping cost from an online dealer to my house ate the savings up and more.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
828 Posts
I’ve got one ordered and will be looking for the wiring harness next. OEM wiring harness is about $178 to $200 with shipping and only takes 45 minutes to install. FYI.
Check out etrailer.com to see if they have a wiring harness for your Pilot. Wire harness installation was plug+play on my '04 Pilot.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,525 Posts
Less than 250, genuine OEM.

Also don't forget to get the hands free power tailgate sensor kit to move the sensor over.

·
Registered
303 Posts
OEM Hitch install took me about 30 minutes. The hardest part was popping out the old plastic to replace it with the new one. Remove the spare tire and you will have plenty of room to sit up under the Pilot to remove the plastic holders, less strain on your neck

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
OEM Hitch install took me about 30 minutes. The hardest part was popping out the old plastic to replace it with the new one. Remove the spare tire and you will have plenty of room to sit up under the Pilot to remove the plastic holders, less strain on your neck
Agreed the old bumper plastic didn’t want to come out. Laid on my back and used my knees to hold it up while screwing in the bolts. Hardest part was torquing the rear passenger bolt as the muffler was getting in my way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If OP still cares, I paid $1000 flat to dealer when I bought my 2019 Elite to get OEM hitch and ATF installed, including all parts and labor + the extra kit for moving the gate lift kick sensor. I wanted peace of mind that it was all done by Honda dealer so it would be covered under warranty, and had it done right when I bought it. I have the 8yr/120k warranty, but not sure what of the towing would be covered under that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi.

Thanks.
The tow hitch and wireless kick adapter are an easy install. Just do it yourself.

You'll need a small screw driver for the pop screws and you can use a utility knife to cut the plastic on the kick adapter. Other than that a ten mm and an 18mm. You'll want a 1/2 inch ratchet, something long for the 18mm.

........ OEM wiring harness is about $178 to $200 with shipping and only takes 45 minutes to install. FYI.
Depending how small your hands are and how long it takes you to remove the tape on the 14 pin connectors.

There is a 14 pin connector above the opening taped to the connection on the cigarette litter.

There's also another one at the bottom. I think the bottom one is easier to get to if you have large hands.

20200712_141247.jpg

This is the length of tape you have to unwind if you dont want to cut it.

Btw, you'll just have to feel yourself around. You won't be able to look in but I used my phone to take pictures.
20200712_135613.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts