Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is in reference to my 2020 Touring with about nine thousand miles on it. About 3 weeks ago we went to start the car and it acted like it had a dead or almost battery. It would crank a couple of times and then stopped. After about five or six tries it turned on like normal. We thought nothing of it maybe it was just a hiccup.

Then this morning while my wife was out shopping she attempted to start the car and the same problem occurred. She eventually got it started after about five or six times but the infotainment system screen did not display or light up. She shut the car off and attempted to start it once more hoping to fix the infotainment problem. Again, she had problems getting it started with it acting like it was a low or dead battery. Eventually, she got it started, and once again the infotainment system was blank. She didn't want to deal with trying to get it started again so she started driving home. About halfway through the drive the infotainment screen just suddenly appeared and started working.

Once home, she let the car sit for about an hour and then attempted to start it. No problems at all and it's just like nothing had ever happened. That's the frustrating part!

I'm planning on taking their car into the dealer we brought it from, but with it being such an intermittent problem I'm afraid they will say they can't do anything about it.

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sha93... I clicked on the link and got a message that it could not find the thread.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not sure if you’re describing a slow crank condition or it cranks at normal speed but doesn’t run. if it’s slow crank then a loose battery cable, B+ connection on the alternator or battery failure would be suspect. If it cranks normally then that’s a different set of circumstances. Once the start button is pushed, the PCM takes over the engine start process based on sensor inputs from the power train. I think the PCM captures freeze frame data from no starts so the tech may be able to see what happened. There may also be pending DTCs stored that will help in diagnosing the problem. Not sure how this is related to the blank screen condition. Maybe low battery voltage?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input Cbayman.

As for the starting problem... once I pressed the starter button the starter would engage and maybe it would turn over once and stop. After 4 or 5 tires with the same results on the 6th try the starter would crank 4 or 5 time (like normal) and start right up. I hope I have done a better job of explaining the problem.

The scary thing is that maybe one day this will happen again and I won't be able to get it started and I will be stranded!

·
Registered
253 Posts
My guess, and it’s just a guess, is that the PCM is looking for an input from a sensor that it doesn’t see and terminates the start process. Problem is if it’s intermittent then it’s hard to diagnose. If it were something like a park or brake pedal switch it wouldn’t crank at all. Hopefully the PCM captures the event and provides data for the tech. If you have a scanner you might want to see if any pending codes are stored.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sha93... I clicked on the link and got a message that it could not find the thread.

Link fixed

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Link fixed

Thanks, Sha93!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My guess, and it’s just a guess, is that the PCM is looking for an input from a sensor that it doesn’t see and terminates the start process. Problem is if it’s intermittent then it’s hard to diagnose. If it were something like a park or brake pedal switch it wouldn’t crank at all. Hopefully the PCM captures the event and provides data for the tech. If you have a scanner you might want to see if any pending codes are stored.
I have an appointment for Monday. I will keep this thread updated. And thanks Cbayman!

·
Registered
813 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On Monday I took the car in for the scheduled appointment with regards to the issue above. I explained the situation and she (the service writer) told me they would have it checked out and get back to me by noon.

About 12:30 I called to get a status update and see if they had experienced the problem I was having. She said they were unable to duplicate the problem I was having and they had checked many different items including performing the immobilizer system check and the immobilizer system was found to be normal. She also said no abnormal amount of counts were found to be stored in the immobilizer system status log. They also performed an all-DTC check. They also check the battery. The battery was found to be normal after 5 minutes of charging time with the GR-8. The ground point at G-1 was cleaned up during the inspection. The above information was relayed to me by the service writer, but a lot of it I don't understand... but I'm including it for people who may. Oh, and she never addressed the infotainment system problem and I forgot all about it. However, it only seemed to manifest itself with the starting problem. So we have not experienced it since.

At that point, she told me the technicians were at lunch but wanted to perform one more test after they returned. That would give the car time to sit and maybe something would occur once they got back. She also said if I don't call you within 30 minutes just come on over and pick it up. As I was about to leave I got a phone call from her. She said that the technician had encountered what they called a “hick-up” while starting and maybe that was what I had been experiencing. She said that they would like to have the car for another hour to see if they could trace the problem down.

About an hour and a half later she called and said they could not recreate the problem and that I should come and pick up the car. Once there she wanted me to sign the service document. I read through it and there was no mention of the hick-up so I insisted that she included the abnormal start issue that the technician experience even though it only happened once. At least it's documented that they had experiments some sort of start problem.

Hopefully, there are no more problems but I'm a realist. I will keep you guys updated on what happens down the road.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the same problem occurred today as my wife was returning from a shopping trip. The car had sat for about an hour and once she presses the start button it just made a clicking sound. She continued to press the button at least three or four more times and on the fifth try, it started. And like last time the infotainment system screen was dark for about 30 or 40 seconds and then the Honda Insignia lit up and stayed on for about another 3 minutes. After that, the infotainment system started working, and she also mentioned something new this time that the car felt like it was lacking power when pressing on the gas.

Luckily this time my wife took a video of the situation and we plan on showing it to the service writer at our local dealer. I would upload it here but I couldn't find out how to do it as I tried to attach a movie file and it was not allowed. If anybody has a way of posting a video here please let me know.

This is the third time it's happened in the past month. I guess we're lucky that it eventually starts but who knows maybe one day it won't!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you downloaded the new software update?
If you're talking about the infotainment update, then yes. The big issue is when we press the start button the car just clicks and doesn't start but after about 5 tries it will. The frustrating thing it's intermittent.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If you're talking about the infotainment update, then yes. The big issue is when we press the start button the car just clicks and doesn't start but after about 5 tries it will. The frustrating thing it's intermittent.
Aww. I was hoping they fixed your issue with that update. It seems like your issue is a one off because I haven't seen anyone else with this issue. People have said that their battery seems normal when they test it, but when they change it, it fixes their issue. If there is a place where the can let you borrow a battery, that would be nice. I'm hoping that it's just something small like the battery instead of something major.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did you get error message about your push start system?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, I've attached a couple of videos for you guys to take a look at.

In the first video, my wife had already tried to start the car several times before starting the record. It picks up I think on the third time as she presses the start button and it just clicks. She does it a couple more times as you can see.

In the last video, she presses the start button and holds it down. You can see it sort of go through a multiple flashing and eventually start. She then pans over to the infotainment system and you can see it is completely dark. After a while, the Honda Logo comes up and starts pulsating. The video goes on for another minute or two with just the Honda logo. Eventually, she got tired of shooting the video and stopped. I believe she said it was another two or three minutes before the infotainment system started working.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts