Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Touring Modern Steel Metallic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been through the same issues as many with the 2 software recalls for the Infotainment system. After doing the 2 software recalls, my issues started. Prior to that, the only thing that I noticed was the popping and crackling and then on one hot day this past summer, the Nav system didn't work on my drive home. After doing the recalls, we started noticing the poor radio reception for FM, which my wife listens to more than me and I started losing XM reception. One Saturday morning while running errands, the main console started flashing off and on and eventually went black. I pulled over and restarted the Pilot. Everything came back up. As we drove a few more miles, the console went black again with a message saying "check tuner". That was the beginning of the now 4 trips to the dealer to resolve the issue. Initially, it was as if no one knew what or how to fix the issue. The car was at the dealership for a week. After several attempts and waiting for the dealer tech to hear from Honda Corporate with a plan on how to fix the issue, they eventually replaced all the connectors on the cabling from the head unit to the antenna. It took them several tries to finally get it right. Thus, multiple trips.
After being assured that it was fixed, we picked up the car again, and the issues seem to be working correctly.
The problem that arose next is the Hands-Free feature is completely messed up. When we receive a call, everything is good. The issue is making outbound calls, where the call has so much static and our voices are so garbled that no one can understand what is being said.
Back to the dealer again, only to have the microphone replaced. Didn't fix the issue. Come pickup the car. Dealer will contact Honda.
OK, we need to replace the rear amplifier, bring the car back in. Replaced the amplifier, Didn't fix the issue. Come pickup the car. Dealer will contact Honda for more guidance.
It's now been three weeks without any word from the dealer and when I called the service manager, he isn't returning my phone calls.
I opened a case with Honda Customer service and am waiting to hear from the regional case manager. We've been playing phone tag.

I'm wondering whether this is just something that the dealership broke while trying to fix the other issues. Fix one thing, break something else. Or is this somehow related to all of the other issues that have been experienced?

Has anyone else out there experienced anything like this and if so what was the fix?
BTW, 2020 Pilot Touring AWD, less than 9000 miles, purchased in Dec.2019.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Have they replaced the actual head unit yet? It sounds like they're replacing every possible component rather than the primary component that's likely to be causing the (remaining) issues.

I'd give them one more try to sort this out, and then consider asking for a buy-back or going through lemon law proceedings if your state allows it. Three weeks with no communication is ridiculous -- it may be time to show up in person and ask for the GM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last time I picked it up without any resolution, the service manager said that they may have to replace the head-end unit but were waiting to talk with Honda Corporate tech. After all of the other repairs, that's about the last item. Now I'm thinking along the lines of the buyback or lemon law. This is really disappointing to me. I've been buying Hondas and Acuras since 1983. Probably should have held on to the MDX Advance for another year or so. Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
Lemon law may not apply as most states require it be a safety item.
You can also call Honda direct but call service tech and ask them to replace the head unit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The last time I picked it up without any resolution, the service manager said that they may have to replace the head-end unit but were waiting to talk with Honda Corporate tech.
It's odd to me that this is their last resort. They're replacing EVERYTHING else before doing so. The connections I understand, because that's a known issue. The other stuff is just out in left field.

Don't go back there if you ever need wiper blades. They'll probably replace the windshield, first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point Rocky. I'm in Virginia and this is from the VA Lemon Law verbiage, "Nonconformity" means a failure to conform with a warranty, a defect or a condition, including those that do not affect the driveability of the vehicle, which significantly impairs the use, market value, or safety of a motor vehicle." I know in many states it is illegal to use a cellphone while driving, thus the safety issue of using a Hands-free feature. I don't know about you but I wouldn't buy a 2020 something vehicle that had a broken hands-free bluetooth. (Market value). I guess the word "significantly" is up for debate.
But if I ever connect with the regional case manager, I'll ask about talking with a service tech. BTW, I finally got in touch with my dealer's service manager and we're pursuing the replacement of the head-end unit. It's been ordered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's odd to me that this is their last resort. They're replacing EVERYTHING else before doing so. The connections I understand, because that's a known issue. The other stuff is just out in left field.

Don't go back there if you ever need wiper blades. They'll probably replace the windshield, first.
Exactly, I don't think the dealer or Honda have a clue. They're just trying everything possible and have pretty much gotten to the last big item. I have NO idea what that head-end unit runs but it can't be cheap. LOL

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
I bet you could make a case for how a broken infotainment system would be a safety concern. I'm not really familiar with lemon laws but I'd assume you would have to involve a lawyer.

Your vehicle is still under warranty. I would recommend if possible to try a different dealer. Make sure EVERYTHING is documented. They should make this right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bet you could make a case for how a broken infotainment system would be a safety concern. I'm not really familiar with lemon laws but I'd assume you would have to involve a lawyer.

Your vehicle is still under warranty. I would recommend if possible to try a different dealer. Make sure EVERYTHING is documented. They should make this right.
Thank Jack for those thoughts. The current plan is to replace the head-end unit at my dealership and see if that fixes the issues. The service manager confirmed with me today that it has been ordered. I live in a location with 1 dealer. The next closest is 65 miles away and then there are 3 other dealers about 73 miles away in various directions. Agreed, Honda should make this right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank Jack for those thoughts. The current plan is to replace the head-end unit at my dealership and see if that fixes the issues. The service manager confirmed with me today that it has been ordered. I live in a location with 1 dealer. The next closest is 65 miles away and then there are 3 other dealers about 73 miles away in various directions. Agreed, Honda should make this right.
Did you have any resolution here?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts