Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Less than a week ago I took my 2020 Honda Pilot in for its first A check and tire rotation. When I got it back I started to notice that the car would drift to the right if I took my hands off the steering wheel. This would occur on a very straight flat road and I had never experienced that before. Oil change and tire rotation occurred at six thousand miles. The tires on the vehicle are Continental Cross-Contact LX Sports 245/50 R20 102H. Both tires are inflated to 35 lb so there's no discrepancy between the two front tires with regards to pressure. I do have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow for them to take a look at the situation and advise. Any thoughts on the matter? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Road have a slight decline built in for water drainage. I know you said it was a flat road. Also, did you try driving the same direction on the other side of the road to see if it still pulled right (if you're safely able to of course). If so you might just need an alignment. Some places have lifetime alignments for around $120.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Ronnie... I just find it odd that I never experienced the drifting until they did the tire rotation and the car only has six thousand miles on it. Also, I have noticed this on a variety of roads and the freeway too.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Could you be feeling the effect of the Lane Keep Assist? There are certain roads I drive where I have keep adjusting the steering wheel because it feels like the car keeps pulling to one side. I think it is reading the center lane marking a bit wrong and over compensates. Usually only happens on a few regularly driven roads around here. All one lane each direction with the road widening for right hand turns at intersections with the right lane marking also widening. Speed limit of 45 in areas and 55 in others.

No abnormal tire patterns or wear and I have the same model and size tires as you on my 2019 Touring with almost 13000 miles.

Not sure if this is what is happening to yours since you mentioned you just noticed it after a tire rotation.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome to the third Generation pilot with its famous feature of pulling to the right. I have 2016 that's now almost 5 years and never stopped doing that even after 7 trips to the stealership and they even replaced the tires with brand new tires and could not fix it.

Last year i even test drove a 2019 and it did the very same thing with the sales guy next to me and he did not have any answers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the car to the dealership this morning and explained the situation. They said they would check it out and advise, as I was going to wait for it. He said it would take around an hour or so and at that point, I decided to take a walk.

As I was on my walk I noticed my car coming towards me and head up the street. I felt good about that as they were out test-driving the car right away. About an hour later I got back to the dealership and sat out front right next to the showroom. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the showroom was closed so there were no pesky salesmen trying to sell me a car. Thank goodness! About 20 minutes later the service writer came up and said that the mechanic had noticed the pull to the right. He had tried several different combinations with the tires and decided to check out the alignment. At that point, the service writer said he would come back and let me know how things turned out.

About half an hour later he returned and gave me an updated report. The alignment on the rear and front was off and they had made the adjustments to bring it back into factory specifications. The mechanic then did another test drive and reported that everything was okay now.

Minutes later the car was brought around and we were on our way home. And as they said the pulling to the right had been eliminated and everything was fine again. And lucky for me no charge for the service!

Being a skeptical person I am always wary of dealing with the service department at a dealership. However, I was quite pleased with the way things turned out!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Sounds like the dealership is a "keeper". How busy were they with what is going on? Perhaps the mechanics and techs actually have time now to do what they are supposed to do instead of getting vehicles in and out as quickly as possible.

Glad to hear it was taken care of properly for you!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not that busy because of the virus situation. I saw maybe 6 or 7 other cars arrive in the time I was there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts