Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new 2020 I got in December and the charger worked once then it stop working. It does not charge iPhones or Android phones the green light just starts blinking...I just want to know if anyone is having the same issue and did Honda resolve it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The charging pad is very sensitive to the placement of the phone on the pad. The phone’s internal charging coil must sit squarely over the Pilot’s charging coil. The Pilot’s charging coil is the smooth rectangular area surrounded by a ribbed pad.

You must determine where your phone’s charging coil is located. I have a Samsung S10e and there’s a square imprinted on the back signifying the center of the charging coil. If I center the imprinted square over the center of the Pilot’s charging coil, the phone charges – albeit slowly.

My previous phone didn’t have an external mark to identify the location of the charging coil, so I resorted to watching a YouTube video showing how to replace the phone’s battery. In that video I was able to determine the center of the phone’s charging coil.

You could just use the trial and error method and place the phone at various positions about the pad to find where an acceptable coupling occurs. Just make sure you lift the phone off of the pad between each change in placement as it appears that once the charging pad’s green LED begins to flash it will not turn to steady green, even if you have slid the phone into the correct position.

I made a frame from 6mm EVA foam which fits over the entire ribbed charging pad, with a phone-specific cutout for my Samsung phone. All I need to do is drop the phone into the cutout and I get a reliable charge every time. Note, if you want to close-up the cells on the EVA foam (less opportunity to trap stuff in the open cells) – run a heat gun over the foam surface before you cut the foam to dimension as it’ll shrink a bit when heat is applied.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a brand new 2020 I got in December and the charger worked once then it stop working. It does not charge iPhones or Android phones the green light just starts blinking...I just want to know if anyone is having the same issue and did Honda resolve it.
You have a Pilot? Did you notice that this is the Passport Forum? Now, they probably have the same systems and could very well have the same problems and maybe that's why you posted here to find out(?) If so, sorry, If not, then you might get a better response on the Pilot side as they sell 5x more Pilots than Passports...!

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Passport in February. I am having a similar issue where the pad is too sensitive to positioning on the pad. I am trying to charge with a Kyocera Duraforce phone.

The charging pad ALWAYS starts to charge, but then stops after a few minutes with a blinking LED (indicating a charging error). This is a frustrating implementation of the charging. Anyone else experiencing this? I have had my Apple friends try on this pad, and their phones experience the same thing where the pad "disconnects" the charging due to an error.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,465 Posts
The problem you are experiencing may well be the fact that your phone uses PMA-enabled wireless charging while the Honda wireless charger is a Qi charger.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,465 Posts
I have the wireless charger in my 2020 Passport touring and have no issues. You do have to learn where to place the phone as the charger is a bit sensitive to having the phones charging antenna centered on the charging pad. The charging antenna in the phone may not be centered in the phone back. Try sliding it left or right slightly and see if that helps.

·
Administrator
15,373 Posts
I recently got a mophie wireless charger at home. Its incredibly sensitive to the position of the phone on the pad. Annoyingly so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts