Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brand New Pilot Touring 2020 - strange random snapping/cracking loud sound from the dashboard area, mileage is less than 2,200 KM yet.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Welcome and sorry to hear about your problem already with the new 2020 Pilot. It is a somewhat "common" concern and there are many posts about it on the forum. Just search and you will find them. Here is one thread about the problem, there are more.

Static Sound from Radio

The latest thought and what is working for some owners is to have a wire harness replaced that is behind the dash. There are some harness problems concerning poor connections.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Yep, you definitely aren't alone.

Mine has been back to the dealer four times and will be going back again this week. They have replaced everything except the harness. Supposedly Honda keeps telling them it's not the harness and won't approve replacing it. Well, now we're out of other parts to change - so maybe they'll finally do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I was looking into buying a 2020 elite. I currently have a 2017 EXL and my mechanic that works from Honda steered me away from it bc he experienced this same issue. My salesmen stated that Honda is aware but there was only a bad series of Vin#. Anyone ever heard of that or had confirmation?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Highly doubt it’s contained to a few VINs. There’s been reports from the three top trims (Touring and upwards) from 2019 and 2020 models for a few months now. I bought my 2020 late December and it already started developing the noise. At first more random, but as others warned, it seems to be slowly getting worse.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
To further throw cold water on that idea, Odysseys and Passports have the same problem. So, it's not even limited to just the Pilot...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2019 Touring. We took the car to the dealership like 6 times, until the last time I threatened to apply the lemon law (in our case the displays including the driver also turned off while driving). They replaced the wire harness and problem solved. But the previous 5 times they were just resetting the systems and adjusting wires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brand New Pilot Touring 2020 - strange random snapping/cracking loud sound from the dashboard area, mileage is less than 2,200 KM yet.

I had the exact same problem with brand new 2020 Odyssey EX-L. The problem is with loose connections in MOST (Media Oriented System Delivery) BUS Network Cable connections. These are Fiber Optic Cables (Optical communication over plastic fiber) which have sensitive connectors which break apart during assembly or mis-routing of cables creating more tension. It is not electrical interference and some proposed fixes earlier relating to AC clutch relay and/or hard-wiring a diode, etc, won't work here as this is caused by optical interference. Fortunately, Honda updated their TSB in April 2020 to check the MOST cable network. I have attached that for your reference. After replacing the instrument panel MOST cable harness, the problem appears to be fixed in the Odyssey. MOST technology is a high end technology used for high bandwidth applications and used in Honda EX and beyond. That's why LX and lower trims are not affected as they use traditional copper wiring. Hope this helps and solves your issue as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the exact same problem with brand new 2020 Odyssey EX-L. The problem is with loose connections in MOST (Media Oriented System Delivery) BUS Network Cable connections. These are Fiber Optic Cables (Optical communication over plastic fiber) which have sensitive connectors which break apart during assembly or mis-routing of cables creating more tension. It is not electrical interference and some proposed fixes earlier relating to AC clutch relay and/or hard-wiring a diode, etc, won't work here as this is caused by optical interference. Fortunately, Honda updated their TSB in April 2020 to check the MOST cable network. I have attached that for your reference. After replacing the instrument panel MOST cable harness, the problem appears to be fixed in the Odyssey. MOST technology is a high end technology used for high bandwidth applications and used in Honda EX and beyond. That's why LX and lower trims are not affected as they use traditional copper wiring. Hope this helps and solves your issue as well.
This was what they tried with my Pilot the second time I took it in, but the issue came back before I even left the dealer’s parking lot. Not sure in April they included additional information in that TSB that could make a difference. I was about to take it for the third time so they could “try a couple of things” prior to ordering a new harness, but due to the coronavirus I held off on taking the car for now. Will try again when things calm down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This was what they tried with my Pilot the second time I took it in, but the issue came back before I even left the dealer’s parking lot. Not sure in April they included additional information in that TSB that could make a difference. I was about to take it for the third time so they could “try a couple of things” prior to ordering a new harness, but due to the coronavirus I held off on taking the car for now. Will try again when things calm down.
This particular TSB is keep updating. In my case, I waited for a backordered some major dashboard wiring harness part for 3 months. After they replaced that in last week, the problem was still there. Dealer was good enough to keep the van to further diagnose further and then they replaced the instrument panel wiring harness and I think it is the MOST wiring harness. The MOST connectors cannot be repaired or adjusted according to TSB and has to be replaced. Any adjustments may break the connectors. They also checked for mis-routing (during assembly??) which caused more tension at the connectors. Its too soon to say - but, so far so good and the logic behind the fix makes sense instead of pure trial and error.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also bought the Odyssey in 2020 December and started developing the problem in a month. In January time frame, the dealer where i got the car from said that Honda is not sure of the fix and all they can do is to document the problem. I went to a different dealer and they were nice and willing to diagnose further. But i waited for a different harness for 3 months, which was not even the issue but they had to do it to rule out the causes. May be in April, Honda also has a better clarity on this. The dealer kept the van for one more additional day to see if it is fixed. Looks like the dealership and the experience of the actual technician also matters. Good luck. I also hope mine is fixed as it is too soon to say - but I am hopeful. I think we are at least marching in the right direction of the root cause of the problem as i believe the problem discussed in other threads on the diode and/or AC cluch relay etc is not the root cause for our cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Purchased our Pilot Touring AWS on 5/31. A month later, observed some very faint "crackling" noise from the speakers and/or front dash. Began looking at some posts on here and found out numerous owners are experiencing the same issue(s) The crackling continued into the early part of August. But, not until the end of August did the crackling become more pronounced, and finally, the instrument panel AND audio/information screen went dark. Amongst the error messages were: "Radio unavailable, Network Communication Lost, MOST Net Off" (have videos of incidents). Subsequently, the Honda recall hit the news and our Pilot went into the dealer for service on 9/26. Service Advisor was aware of the crackling and offered to run a diagnostic. During the visit, Service Advisor reported that a number of connections were being replaced. Software upgrades were done and no crackling can be heard. We were further told that IF the crackling was to return, we'd need to call up Honda Corporation, whereupon an Engineer would be dispatched to the dealer. It was also reassuring to hear the only 2 owners have had to endure a 2nd round of repairs. We will continue to monitor the issue and will update as needed....crossing our fingers!!!

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Purchased our Pilot Touring AWS on 5/31. A month later, observed some very faint "crackling" noise from the speakers and/or front dash. Began looking at some posts on here and found out numerous owners are experiencing the same issue(s) The crackling continued into the early part of August. But, not until the end of August did the crackling become more pronounced, and finally, the instrument panel AND audio/information screen went dark. Amongst the error messages were: "Radio unavailable, Network Communication Lost, MOST Net Off" Subsequently, the Honda recall hit the news and our Pilot went into the dealer for service on 9/26. Service Advisor was aware of the crackling and offered to run a diagnostic. During the visit, Service Advisor reported that a number of connections were being replaced. Software upgrades were done and no crackling can be heard. We were further told that IF the crackling was to return, we'd need to call up Honda Corporation, whereupon an Engineer would be dispatched to the dealer. It was also reassuring to hear the only 2 owners have had to endure a 2nd round of repairs. We will continue to monitor the issue and will update as needed....crossing our fingers!!!
I'm up to seven repair visits, and still not fixed. This includes the two recalls and the latest 20-058 TSB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm up to seven repair visits, and still not fixed. This includes the two recalls and the latest 20-058 TSB.
So sorry to hear about your ordeal. I suppose owners have to be diligent and patient while reaching out to Honda Corporation. I've read some folks had been hung up over the phone, etc. Have they gone that route where an Engineer physically visits the dealership to recommend a final fix?

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Have they gone that route where an Engineer physically visits the dealership to recommend a final fix?
That was like three or four fixes ago...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts