Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Great pics and detail. What did you use to cut the hands free adapter piece? And did you just transfer it to new hitch cover with included clips or self tapping screws? I’m gonna do the same job soon on my 2021.
I used a box cutter to score it several times to cut. Just to be safe and not over cut to the sides. I bought spare generic clips from O’Reilly’s Auto Parts store but ended up being able to reuse all existing clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
No. I do not have the AWD version and I’m not planning on towing anything that’s heavy a significant distance. I mainly transport 4 kayaks on a 4’ x 8’ trailer that has a kayak rack I designed. Weight with 4 kayaks and gear is well under 750 lbs in total.

View attachment 138681
Job is complete. All in, it took me 2 hrs and 15 minutes. With water breaks as it’s hot here in Texas. Relatively simple and after taking off the factory trim piece, I realized I was correct in that I’d have to trim the new HF adapter kit to the point indicated by by finger in prior photos.

Had a little problem since I was installing everything by myself, and had to lift the receiver hitch and bolt at the same time. I didn’t use a bottle jack, but rather my knee, and then bolted one bolt on before rotating to bolt the diagonal and opposite bolts on the other side. Then back to the original side,’and so forth. Kind of like putting on a tire in a star pattern. View attachment 138682

The old sensor looks like an exact match to the new sensor. Could you just reuse it or is there some difference I’m not seeing?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The old sensor looks like an exact match to the new sensor. Could you just reuse it or is there some difference I’m not seeing?
No. They are not the same. The length is the difference. The old sensor extended through to both sides and would work for hands free operation across length of the bumper. After the OEM hitch is put on, the old sensor is too long to fit. The new sensor will only detect hands free operation on the right side, between receiver and the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No. They are not the same. The length is the difference. The old sensor extended through to both sides and would work for hands free operation across length of the bumper. After the OEM hitch is put on, the old sensor is too long to fit. The new sensor will only detect hands free operation on the right side, between receiver and the exhaust pipe.

Do I just swap sensor or complete rewiring including that strange pushbutton (what is the purpose of it btw?) needs to be performed ? I am putting it in 2021 Elite

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Do I just swap sensor or complete rewiring including that strange pushbutton (what is the purpose of it btw?) needs to be performed ? I am putting it in 2021 Elite
No. You don’t rewire it. The black trim piece in the middle is the replacement trim piece that comes with the OEM Receiver Hitch. My bumper was originally silver but the trim piece Looks pretty good against the silver. The piece on the right came out of the original lower bottom half of the bumper. I put it side by side for comparison. It would fit inside and not be visible.

The Hands Free (HF) adapter kit on the left came as one piece that appeared to be identical in length as the silver piece on the right, except that the antenna loop did not run the whole length. I had to score and trim the shortened piece pictured and insert it into the middle piece before reassembling the bumper insert.

As you can see, the new trim piece has a cut out for the 2” receiver, and for mounting of the factory 7-pin connector and wiring harness which I also added.

If you’re not using an OEM Receiver, most of the aftermarket hitches mount under the bumper, so you wouldn’t have to replace the full length HF sensor with the HF adapter kit. If you ordered the OEM receiver and removed the trim piece, you’d see that the original HF sensor would not fit if it were the full length piece. Someone had indicated in the past that their HF sensor detected movement on the right only, so perhaps they only had the HF Adapter kit installed to begin with. Mine was full length on my 2020 Touring so I can only vouch for what mine came with. Ill got out and take some more photos of what the finished job looks like, and what the original (back in a box now) looks like.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here are some photos of the finished job, and original silver trim piece, with full length sensor set in place under the trim piece. I don’t see any button that you referred to in your earlier question.

The silver piece had to be removed in order foe the factory hitch to be installed, so the OEM hitch comes with the replacement trim piece.

The full length HF sensor gets removed with the trim piece, so if you want to retain your HF functionality, you have to get the HF adapter kit so that you can cut out and mount the shortened HF sensor inside the replacement kit.

I know now for a fact that when you add HF to a unit that doesn’t have HF, you can choose which sensor to get. A knowledgeable parts guy will ask if you have an OEM hitch, or if you plan to install one in the future. If you do, they’ll sell you the adapter kit with the shortened antenna so you don’t have to replace it again in the future when you add the OEM hitch. Hope this helps. I was just told this a few minutes ago by a Piloteer I know. (The Center piece pictured in prior reply is shown in the picture immediately below, with 2” receiver and wiring harness also installed. This is approximately 2” higher above ground than most aftermarket hitches like the Curt version).

The above 2 photos are what was removed from the original bumper. Silver trim piece to match the bumper, and full length antenna loop with HF sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here are some photos of the finished job, and original silver trim piece, with full length sensor set in place under the trim piece. I don’t see any button that you referred to in your earlier question.
Thank you for very detailed explanation. The button in question is listed in installation manual for
08L91-TG7-100C
:

Maybe this is outdated as I have a 12V outlet in this location already.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts