Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I’m relatively new to the forum and appreciate how everyone is willing to share information and advice.
I got a quote for $2100 to install a tow package on my my 2020 Honda Pilot Touring model, and almost laughed.
I priced out the parts at their parts department and it totaled $830 for the OEM tow hitch, the wiring harness, and from advice of other members on the forum, the hands free adapter kit (shorter sensors).
I finally received the last of the parts (HF Adapter Kit) this weekend and am ready to give it a shot installing it myself.

FYI, I purchased the OEM tow hitch and wiring harness for $460 combined, including all shipping and taxes. The OEM HF adapter kit was another $94 in total. Total cost, $554.

I don’t think it will be difficult based upon available instructions on line (none included in kits) but here’s what I know and suspect so far.

1) Aftermarket hitches are a lot cheaper. I could have purchased the Curt or Reece Tow Hutches and wiring harnesses for between $240 and $280 depending upon which hitch wiring harness connection I wanted (straight 4, 7 pin, or combined 4 & 7). No HF adapter needed as the hitch mounts under the existing bumper.
2) The after market hitches wouldn’t have worked for me, as I have a little beveled incline that is too sharp between my driveway and the street. An after market hitch sitting below the bumper would not clear the sidewalk and would scrape the bottom of the hitch, and possibly the Hitch ball nut. My Kia Soareto trailer hitch fits under the bumper from OEM installed hitch and it scrapes when there are passengers in the car or if the car is loaded up with gear.
3). Non OEM hitches will sit (bottom of 2” receiver frame) approximately 3” lower than the OEM trailer hitch which mounts within existing bumper assembly with replacement trim piece included.

Despite my reluctance to pay more to the dealers, or to Honda for what I believe to be an intentionally flawed design that requires the sale of additional parts or components to install a simple trailer hitch, I had to go with the OEM parts.

I’d been aware of this to begin with, so I took this into account when making an offer to the dealership for the purchase of my vehicle. I negotiated interior mats, including trunk, extra wireless headphones, and negotiated the price down significantly since they wouldn’t include the OEM towing package into the deal. Their “discounted price” for the OEM install and parts was $1890.00 at time of purchase. I declined.

Anyway, here’s hoping the install goes as planned. If anyone has done one before, would appreciate it if you could advise if I’m correct in assumption that the HF adapter trim has to be cut down (where my finger is in the picture). Thanks in advance!

Technology Bumper

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(y) (y) Will you be adding the factory transmission cooler for max towing?
No. I do not have the AWD version and I’m not planning on towing anything that’s heavy a significant distance. I mainly transport 4 kayaks on a 4’ x 8’ trailer that has a kayak rack I designed. Weight with 4 kayaks and gear is well under 750 lbs in total.

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Auto part

Job is complete. All in, it took me 2 hrs and 15 minutes. With water breaks as it’s hot here in Texas. Relatively simple and after taking off the factory trim piece, I realized I was correct in that I’d have to trim the new HF adapter kit to the point indicated by by finger in prior photos.

Had a little problem since I was installing everything by myself, and had to lift the receiver hitch and bolt at the same time. I didn’t use a bottle jack, but rather my knee, and then bolted one bolt on before rotating to bolt the diagonal and opposite bolts on the other side. Then back to the original side,’and so forth. Kind of like putting on a tire in a star pattern.
Automotive exterior Vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There’s a guy named Eddie who does a great video for the wiring harness, tow hitch, and transmission cooler. His instructions were very useful and allowed me to install everything very quickly and efficiently. I did look at all the Piloteer posts before attempting the install, including the college hills Honda links.

Found the YouTube video best suited my needs as I could pause and rewind as I followed along with the steps for the install. When all was said and done, I had one extra push pin and 2 extra screws, which were not needed due to the shortened HF adapter kit and tow hitch trim differences from the original factory trim piece.

The install is very easy and for a savings of $1330 (dealer quote minus cost of materials) over what they wanted at the dealership for the install ($1890 with 10% discount from $2100 initial quote), I’m glad that I was able to do it myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
. For tow hitch. OEM.

. For OEM wiring harness.

I didn’t find for the handsfree adapter kit but that was pretty simple. Cut down to size. Disconnect from original, connect to new. Then install with new OEM trim piece that came with the OEM tow hitch.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
653 Posts
No. I do not have the AWD version and I’m not planning on towing anything that’s heavy a significant distance. I mainly transport 4 kayaks on a 4’ x 8’ trailer that has a kayak rack I designed. Weight with 4 kayaks and gear is well under 750 lbs in total.
The factory kit for the 9 speed is more expensive than the 6 speed. I don't know what dealer charges for install. on 6 Speed it's not hard just tedious and time consuming.

The cooler is definitely a lot less expensive than a tranny even if you pay for installation. Look at the other threads and what your DW-1 will turn to with minimal towing and heat. IMO Honda not putting a cooler on from factory is almost negligent. If you plan to keep it, invest in the cooler.

I added the cooler and I plan to do a drain and fill on my fluid probably every 3rd oil change. I'll be under the truck anyway and 3-4 qts of DW-1 is not that expensive. I need more reviews on the other synthetic versions before I change and affect shifting quality I don't want to guniea pig it while under warranty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I hadn’t thought that I’d need it with under 750 lbs of combined weight (including kayaks, gear, and Teailer all in.). Will look into getting a cooler. From what I understand, the factory OEM version is not the greatest, and there are other bigger/better after market coolers available.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Read some of the other threads, yes bigger, more cooling and filtering options are available. Some better priced. I like having those factory metal lines to hook in that are bolted and supported. NailGrease is in Texas and monitored his temperatures accordingly with no issues (except the factory fluid breaking down so fast). Others have also shown results with towing through mountains etc. and the factory one worked fine (older threads). Fluid does need to be at correct operating temperature. You can get different Bluetooth monitors or Scangauge so you can watch real time. They are also nice to have in case you get random trouble codes. I have one in each car. I need to check them with the settings to monitor the tranny temps.

I don't tow that much weight or for long periods either so feel a lot more confident now that I have the cooler. I also know that I'll change fluid more often. Drain & fill at home is not hard and not too expensive. Don't even need a lift/ramps, just flat area and 10 minutes start to finish with cleanup.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Can a Scangauge or Bluetooth monitor read the transmission temp in the 9 speed transmission? Last I had recalled reading, only the 6 speed was able to be set up for it.

I don't tow and don't have a Scangauge or BT monitor, just wondering.

Reactions: Rafflesian

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I tow my kayak trailer (again only under 750 lbs including trailer, kayaks, and gear) approximately 5 times a year and under 800 miles total. Other times, the hitch is only used for bike racks carrying 2 bikes that with the rack weigh under 300 lbs. Will this have a significant effect on transmission fluid heat and wear?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No. That's pretty light load.
Thanks. I didn’t think it was high but thought I’d check. I don’t have a cooler and don’t plan on towing anything (even a light load) for a month. Want to spread out costs, especially in these times. May still do the cooler later but prefer to wait a little for the next project.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The trailer towing adds to the wear and fluid breakdown quicker. Mine was mostly just normal usage as family vehicle. The cargo trailer was empty for 1/2 the trips (100 miles, 2 hours each way) as we used it to get my son's school stuff from college knowing it wouldn't squeeze in the Pilot with extra bodies.

The flip side- many thousands of satisfied Pilot owners don't have a cooler, know nothing about it and might never have an issue. You have knowledge of how to hopefully help prevent future problems.

Like smoking, sun bathing. Many people smoke a pack a day and live until 90's with no added health concerns that they will contribute to smoking. Some don't make their 30's with lung and throat cancer. Same for sun, no SPF tanning oils to tan quicker, tanning beds all good. Others have skin that looks and feels like leather and don't make 30's from melanoma.

I'll try to keep the junk out of my lungs and wear a wide brim hat / sunscreen / flannel shirt / shade when I can. Knowing what you do, at least change the fluid and plan for more frequent changes. If you do the drain and fill you can see the condition and adjust maintenance schedules to your own "severe service" of every oil change, every 2nd/3rd/4th or more. 4qts of DW1 and a crush washer less than $50 and 15 minutes of your time BUT you need to find out the correct procedure with the 9 speed tranny. If dealer does it, it will be $200 unless they have a deal going.

9 speed fluid change. might want to have dealer do it.............. and the more I read, the more I like my 6 speed, no offense.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The trailer towing adds to the wear and fluid breakdown quicker. Mine was mostly just normal usage as family vehicle. The cargo trailer was empty for 1/2 the trips (100 miles, 2 hours each way) as we used it to get my son's school stuff from college knowing it wouldn't squeeze in the Pilot with extra bodies.

The flip side- many thousands of satisfied Pilot owners don't have a cooler, know nothing about it and might never have an issue. You have knowledge of how to hopefully help prevent future problems.

Like smoking, sun bathing. Many people smoke a pack a day and live until 90's with no added health concerns that they will contribute to smoking. Some don't make their 30's with lung and throat cancer. Same for sun, no SPF tanning oils to tan quicker, tanning beds all good. Others have skin that looks and feels like leather and don't make 30's from melanoma.

I'll try to keep the junk out of my lungs and wear a wide brim hat / sunscreen / flannel shirt / shade when I can. Knowing what you do, at least change the fluid and plan for more frequent changes. If you do the drain and fill you can see the condition and adjust maintenance schedules to your own "severe service" of every oil change, every 2nd/3rd/4th or more. 4qts of DW1 and a crush washer less than $50 and 15 minutes of your time BUT you need to find out the correct procedure with the 9 speed tranny. If dealer does it, it will be $200 unless they have a deal going.

9 speed fluid change. might want to have dealer do it.............. and the more I read, the more I like my 6 speed, no offense.
Thanks. I haven’t found too much on 9 speed ATF right now but keeping my eyes out. Will look more into it now that I’m traveling again and have a few spare evenings while away from family with time to kill. Appreciate all your help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone have the model numbers for the parts I will need to install the trailer hitch on my 2020 Black edition? I don't think I will but the transmission cooler since I will not be towing anything over 3,000 pounds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone have the model numbers for the parts I will need to install the trailer hitch on my 2020 Black edition? I don't think I will but the transmission cooler since I will not be towing anything over 3,000 pounds.
Genuine Honda Tailgate Hands Free Adapter 08L91-TG7-100C

Honda Trailer Hitch - 08L92-TG7-1A0

Honda Trailer Hitch Wiring Harness (standard OEM 7 blade) - 08L91-TG7-100B

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone. I’m relatively new to the forum and appreciate how everyone is willing to share information and advice.
I got a quote for $2100 to install a tow package on my my 2020 Honda Pilot Touring model, and almost laughed.
I priced out the parts at their parts department and it totaled $830 for the OEM tow hitch, the wiring harness, and from advice of other members on the forum, the hands free adapter kit (shorter sensors).
I finally received the last of the parts (HF Adapter Kit) this weekend and am ready to give it a shot installing it myself.

FYI, I purchased the OEM tow hitch and wiring harness for $460 combined, including all shipping and taxes. The OEM HF adapter kit was another $94 in total. Total cost, $554.

I don’t think it will be difficult based upon available instructions on line (none included in kits) but here’s what I know and suspect so far.

1) Aftermarket hitches are a lot cheaper. I could have purchased the Curt or Reece Tow Hutches and wiring harnesses for between $240 and $280 depending upon which hitch wiring harness connection I wanted (straight 4, 7 pin, or combined 4 & 7). No HF adapter needed as the hitch mounts under the existing bumper.
2) The after market hitches wouldn’t have worked for me, as I have a little beveled incline that is too sharp between my driveway and the street. An after market hitch sitting below the bumper would not clear the sidewalk and would scrape the bottom of the hitch, and possibly the Hitch ball nut. My Kia Soareto trailer hitch fits under the bumper from OEM installed hitch and it scrapes when there are passengers in the car or if the car is loaded up with gear.
3). Non OEM hitches will sit (bottom of 2” receiver frame) approximately 3” lower than the OEM trailer hitch which mounts within existing bumper assembly with replacement trim piece included.

Despite my reluctance to pay more to the dealers, or to Honda for what I believe to be an intentionally flawed design that requires the sale of additional parts or components to install a simple trailer hitch, I had to go with the OEM parts.

I’d been aware of this to begin with, so I took this into account when making an offer to the dealership for the purchase of my vehicle. I negotiated interior mats, including trunk, extra wireless headphones, and negotiated the price down significantly since they wouldn’t include the OEM towing package into the deal. Their “discounted price” for the OEM install and parts was $1890.00 at time of purchase. I declined.

Anyway, here’s hoping the install goes as planned. If anyone has done one before, would appreciate it if you could advise if I’m correct in assumption that the HF adapter trim has to be cut down (where my finger is in the picture). Thanks in advance!

View attachment 138640 View attachment 138641 View attachment 138642 View attachment 138643

·
Registered
2 Posts

View attachment 138681
Job is complete. All in, it took me 2 hrs and 15 minutes. With water breaks as it’s hot here in Texas. Relatively simple and after taking off the factory trim piece, I realized I was correct in that I’d have to trim the new HF adapter kit to the point indicated by by finger in prior photos.

Had a little problem since I was installing everything by myself, and had to lift the receiver hitch and bolt at the same time. I didn’t use a bottle jack, but rather my knee, and then bolted one bolt on before rotating to bolt the diagonal and opposite bolts on the other side. Then back to the original side,’and so forth. Kind of like putting on a tire in a star pattern. View attachment 138682

Great pics and detail. What did you use to cut the hands free adapter piece? And did you just transfer it to new hitch cover with included clips or self tapping screws? I’m gonna do the same job soon on my 2021.

·
Registered
Black 2019 Pilot Elite
37 Posts
I love the OEM look of the hitch. We bought the OEM from the local dealership for $300 with the handsfree adapter, but without the trailer wiring harness. We just wanted the hitch for our bike rack. We have no intentions of towing anything. I was going to install it myself, but my trusted mechanic quoted me $80.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts