Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased our vehicle on July 31st and it has just over 500 miles on it now. This weekend we started hearing the snapping/popping noises from our speakers as noted by some other owners in this forum. It doesn't matter if we are playing XM radio, FM radio, or AppleCar play connect music, we hear the sound periodically and all modes are skipping every 10-15 seconds or so. Our RES is also having issues with not displaying the video......(after a disc is put in, the front display continuously says "loading" while the back display only shows the regular Blu Ray menu). We tried different DVDs and they work sometimes and then have no display other times. When we play the audio from the system over our regular speakers, the snapping/popping noises seem to be really loud. Our 8 year old has mentioned multiple times when the video does play that the sound "glitches" a lot..........I'm thinking that is the same thing we are experiencing with the music.

Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated. We are already scheduled to take this to the dealer on Thursday for them to do the recent software update. I plan on emailing them tomorrow about this issue. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I was about to ask "did you do the update already?", but seems like you already will do that. In the meantime, you can plug in a usb keyboard to the car and do ctrl+alt+del. It should restart your infotainment system and the speakers should stop popping temporarily.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,866 Posts
The popping and crackling sounds like a harness/connection issue. Some have reported success when the dealer either replaces the harness and or makes sure the connections are not pulling loose, wiggling around.

The update is to update the software issues. Some people have reported the popping crackling issues, others have reported the software black out issues and some have reported both. Hopefully they will get it straightened out at the dealership.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We just purchased our vehicle on July 31st and it has just over 500 miles on it now. This weekend we started hearing the snapping/popping noises from our speakers as noted by some other owners in this forum. It doesn't matter if we are playing XM radio, FM radio, or AppleCar play connect music, we hear the sound periodically and all modes are skipping every 10-15 seconds or so. Our RES is also having issues with not displaying the video......(after a disc is put in, the front display continuously says "loading" while the back display only shows the regular Blu Ray menu). We tried different DVDs and they work sometimes and then have no display other times. When we play the audio from the system over our regular speakers, the snapping/popping noises seem to be really loud. Our 8 year old has mentioned multiple times when the video does play that the sound "glitches" a lot..........I'm thinking that is the same thing we are experiencing with the music.

Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated. We are already scheduled to take this to the dealer on Thursday for them to do the recent software update. I plan on emailing them tomorrow about this issue. Thanks in advance for your help!

I believe there is a recall for this issue, try going to the Honda Owners site and putting in your VIN number...

·
Registered
813 Posts
I believe there is a recall for this issue, try going to the Honda Owners site and putting in your VIN number...
Sometimes the Honda website isn’t accurate according to other people. I’ve heard that you can get accurate recall readings on the car fax app, but Honda takes a while to update their website (as of what I’ve heard).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Honda issued a stop sale order on 7/29 that prohibited sales prior to working the recalls so your vehicle should have the software updates. There are 2 recalls:
1. Instrument Panel Software incorrect (TSB 20-47) requires removal of the Gauge Cluster to reflash the software in the Gauge Module. This requires a special fixture and must be performed by a Honda dealer.
2. Front Control Box (aka Infotainment System) Software incorrect (TSB 20-051) requires an OTA update that can be performed over a wifi connection or downloaded to a usb flash drive and updated via the USB port. Vehicle owners can perform this update and does not require rework by the dealer.
These updates do not specifically address the audio issues you describe. Honda has released several TSBs to address this issue with varied success reported by owners. The latest TSB for audio pops is 20-058 which changes MOST bus connectors including the connectors on the Gauge Cluster, Infotainment unit, BlueRay player and Tuner. TSB 20-058 is not part of the recall campaigns. The dealer needs to determine if your symptoms meet the criteria for working the TSB. The TSB requires new cable connectors and service cables so your dealer may not yet have the parts required to work TSB 20-058.
Recall information, including the TSBs can be found here:

·
Registered
47 Posts
We bought a 2020 Pilot Toruing a few weeks ago and are already experiencing the popping sound. We have an appointment on Wed, Aug 12th to take it to the dealer and have it looked at. Hoping they can fix it and we dont get the run around over it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honda issued a stop sale order on 7/29 that prohibited sales prior to working the recalls so your vehicle should have the software updates. There are 2 recalls:
1. Instrument Panel Software incorrect (TSB 20-47) requires removal of the Gauge Cluster to reflash the software in the Gauge Module. This requires a special fixture and must be performed by a Honda dealer.
2. Front Control Box (aka Infotainment System) Software incorrect (TSB 20-051) requires an OTA update that can be performed over a wifi connection or downloaded to a usb flash drive and updated via the USB port. Vehicle owners can perform this update and does not require rework by the dealer.
These updates do not specifically address the audio issues you describe. Honda has released several TSBs to address this issue with varied success reported by owners. The latest TSB for audio pops is 20-058 which changes MOST bus connectors including the connectors on the Gauge Cluster, Infotainment unit, BlueRay player and Tuner. TSB 20-058 is not part of the recall campaigns. The dealer needs to determine if your symptoms meet the criteria for working the TSB. The TSB requires new cable connectors and service cables so your dealer may not yet have the parts required to work TSB 20-058.

we are looking at a 2019 EX-L And this is scaring us from purchasing. What are the results. Can it be fixed?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Anecdotally, it seems Touring and Elites trims are experiencing more issues. The cause is intermittent network connections. Sometimes this causes popping or crackling audio and sometimes the displays lock up or go blank. The EX and EX-L (w/o RES) trims have 2 devices, the Infotainment and Gauge cluster, on the network. The upper trims have more devices on the network requiring more connectors so it makes sense upper trims are more prone to the issue. Having said that, there is at least one forum member that had a problem on his EX-L. My 2019 EX-L has not had any issues. I don’t have the data that says how many vehicles have had issues but I suspect it’s less than 10%. As referenced above, Honda has released 2 software updates and a hardware update to address the problem. Previous TSBs have directed techs to re-route cables to reduce stress on the connectors. TSB 20-058 attempts to resolve the intermittent connection issues by making the connectors more robust and adding service loops to relieve cable stress.

·
Registered
4 Posts

we are looking at a 2019 EX-L And this is scaring us from purchasing. What are the results. Can it be fixed?
Anecdotally, it seems Touring and Elites trims are experiencing more issues. The cause is intermittent network connections. Sometimes this causes popping or crackling audio and sometimes the displays lock up or go blank. The EX and EX-L (w/o RES) trims have 2 devices, the Infotainment and Gauge cluster, on the network. The upper trims have more devices on the network requiring more connectors so it makes sense upper trims are more prone to the issue. Having said that, there is at least one forum member that had a problem on his EX-L. My 2019 EX-L has not had any issues. I don’t have the data that says how many vehicles have had issues but I suspect it’s less than 10%. As referenced above, Honda has released 2 software updates and a hardware update to address the problem. Previous TSBs have directed techs to re-route cables to reduce stress on the connectors. TSB 20-058 attempts to resolve the intermittent connection issues by making the connectors more robust and adding service loops to relieve cable stress.
I drove it for about 20 minutes and no issues but I was in a hurry and not sure we were going to buy. Now things have changed and we are very interested until researching this issue. It is an Ex-l with less than 16,000 miles. Not much on the car fax report to indicate if they have taken to the shop for this issue. I talked to another Honda service rep and they do not report to car fax, so you need know.

·
Registered
813 Posts

I drove it for about 20 minutes and no issues but I was in a hurry and not sure we were going to buy. Now things have changed and we are very interested until researching this issue. It is an Ex-l with less than 16,000 miles. Not much on the car fax report to indicate if they have taken to the shop for this issue. I talked to another Honda service rep and they do not report to car fax, so you need know.
Just make sure the trans fluid and motor mounts are fine on the EX-L. You don't really need to worry about this issue as long as it's on the latest update as I stated before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just make sure the trans fluid and motor mounts are fine on the EX-L. You don't really need to worry about this issue as long as it's on the latest update as I stated before.
How should I check the trans fluid? Should it have issues with only 16,000 miles?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't have a 6 speed so I'm not sure, but if the previous owner used to tow, or lived in a hot place, the fluid could be on its way out. There's no harm in looking😁.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts