Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Elite, Lunar Silver, stock (so far)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hoping that the issues with the instrument cluster and infotainment are mitigated by the latest 20-058 repairs, and I'm now willing to invest a little in our new 2020 Honda Pilot Elite. The car is end of model year, so yes, it's Lunar Silver ;) the lower trim is black matte plastic. It has the Elite chrome trim.

The car is replacing a 2013 Acura RDX that had about 100K on it. We spend a lot of time on muddy dirt roads in Minnesota, and one big complaint we had with the RDX was the amount of mud that would get stuck in the door seal. The seal was wide and deep and it was next to impossible to get into the car without getting your pants legs dirty in the winter and spring.

It looks like the Pilot has a better door and seal orientation. I think it will probably be a better, but I am also thinking about installing running boards, not only to make it easier to enter and exit, but also to shield the lower door seals. The RDX didn't really accommodate running boards well.

Can anyone comment about the OE running boards from Honda?:

1) Do the intrude on ground clearance much?
2) I think the simple black would look the best against the lower trim, but wanted to know if anyone had installed the chrome? Other thoughts? I'm looking more for function, but I want them to look OK too.
3) Would you install splash guards too? There appear to be some small ones in the back, but not very functional so I don't know if that's what you get when you buy them from Honda.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont have the running boards from Honda but I have the ones linked below. I have a 2018 Elite and they have been awesome! They look great one the Pilot, they were easy to install, and they have held up for almost 2 years with no sign of damage. The clearance on these is no different then without them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Take a look at the honda die cast running boards. Its a black rugged matte look. I got these for that reason and I feel its got to be more slip resistant than plastic or metal ones

Install was simple and straightforward

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Elite, Lunar Silver, stock (so far)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the kind advice! I'll look at each.

For those that installed their own, did you have to scrape the undercoating and trim the baseboard as the instructions recommend?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thank you all for the kind advice! I'll look at each.

For those that installed their own, did you have to scrape the undercoating and trim the baseboard as the instructions recommend?
I don’t have running boards, but if you look under the car close to the places where you’re supposed to put the jack stands, there’s small plastic pieces that can come off. I think that’s where you’re supposed to install the running boards.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My wife and I installed the OEM Black Running Boards, P/N 08L33-TG7-100D on our Pilot Touring a few weeks ago.
Hey, 08L33-TG7-100D running board looks good. How much ground clearance did it take away? An inch? More or less? I would appreciate if you could take a picture of what it looks like under the car.

I got a lift on my car but it would be wierd to lose that or most of that to running boards.

Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts