Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

281 - 300 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your detailed posts.
Currently I’m looking to buy Honda Pilot EX or EX-L ... still deciding if EXL is worth the extra money or not as EX has all the safety features.

Currently I have couple of quotes for EX-L from different dealers:
$36,850
$37,792

I’m thinking of asking dealer #1 if they can go down to $36,000
We recently had our RAV4 rear ended which totaled it and hence looking for a new vehicle. I’m going to try and see if I can get Honda Conquest Cash ($1000) based on registration as I’m moving over from Toyota to Honda.

Any thoughts or suggestions please let us know.
Also are there any extra cost involved like paint protection (appearance package) or extended warranty for new vehicle purchase.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
6 Posts
Hi there mountainhiker,

The EX-L will add the following over and above the EX:
Power Tailgate, 2 USB ports in the 2nd row, Homelink (garage door opener buttons), roller sun shades in 2nd row, auto dimming rearview mirror, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter, two person memory drivers seat (and side mirrors), power passenger seat, leather seating, moonroof.

For a difference in about $3500 in MSRP for us those features are very worth it, especially the power tailgate, moonroof, memory seats, leather seats. But your personal preferences may vary. Same with every trimline, see what all it adds and if the price delta is worth it to you for those specific features.

For the EX-L also I assume these are AWD models and not FWD. For AWD I think you could do better than $36k, I would target $34k including destination I think would be a great price, but again depends on your local market, how many dealers you have, their inventory, your tolerance for bargaining, etc. Check Costco pricing if you are a member, and if you have more than one dealer email a bunch for a quote, then take the lowest and see if a competing dealer will beat it by $500. I searched on Autotrader and the lowest EX-L AWD was about $33,700.. but factor in shipping costs, as well as some of those advertised prices may include offers such as loyalty, first responder, etc that you may/may not qualify for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Jeff for the reply!
I’m in Idaho looking at Dealerships in and around Boise and yes this was for AWD model.
I think the trim differences you mentioned definitely make a compelling reason to lean towards EX-L. As a long term investor does make sense to go with the EX-L trim.

Does the price quoted by dealers already include destination fee typically? Or is it an Add-on?
How do I know what a destination fee is for Idaho dealer?

When I checked through Costco a local dealer approached me and quoted the $37,792 price and when I questioned why it was so high they mentioned there was a price mistake and can work on getting the price lowered.

I’m trying to negotiate just over emails instead of being in person or phone calls. When you mentioned $34K would that be the counter offer to the $36.8 or $37.8 figures they mentioned? Does the $34K take into account the $1K amount from Honda Conquest or without that?

I’m trying to figure out the bargaining game and I’m up for going through this process as I’m not in a desperate situation.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
573 Posts
How do I know what a destination fee is for Idaho dealer?

When checking prices, the window "sticker" will have the price of the vehicle itself and the destination charge listed desperately. There will be the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price near the top middle of the sticker, than at the bottom will be Destination and Handling with a listed amount. That amount gets added to the MSRP for the Total Vehicle Price.

Every dealer in the US lower 48 states are charged the exact identical destination and handling fee amount. Those in Hawaii and Alaska may pay more but am not sure.

Over the course of the model year, the destination charge may change a little bit. My 2019 had a charge on the sticker of $995.00 having been built and delivered to the dealer in August of 2018. That fee went up about $50.00 sometime later in the model year and the destination was then showing about $1045.00 (don't recall the exact increase). By looking at several cars on the dealer lot, if one had the lower destination fee, you knew it was an older build than the ones with the higher destination fee.

Just ask the dealer for a copy of the window sticker or invoice which will show the different prices. You can also go on line and check for those prices from KBB, Edmunds, or even the Honda website for new cars and trucks.

Now if the dealer has to get the vehicle from another dealer, he may try to charge an additional "destination" fee. That would be his cost (and more usually) of having someone pick up the vehicle you want or having it shipped to him from the other dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So we went to Stockton Honda last night as they are our Costco dealership, I am still going to reach out to the Riverdale one too. This does include all the destination fees that I am aware. May not include some of the smaller fees we were just looking at a rough price. We also qualify for the 0.9% APR and the $500 Costco card. I am a little bummed they don't have the Steel Saphirre there in the EX-L but the lady was really nice and said if I really wanted she could track one down in the state for me.

2020 EX-L AWD Lunar Silver/Grey
MSRP: $41,995
Invoice: $38,600
Costco Discount and trade from other brand incentive: $2,900
Down Payment: $4,000, we do have a trade but I am happy to have them offer what we owe and get out of it.
Total pretax : $31,700
After tax it would come to $33,850 I should note too that we want them to add on the tow package, mainly cause we bike a lot. Didn't put in the quote as it might be an after purchase that we have them do Costco get 15% off parts and what not.

2020 EX AWD Steel Saphirre/Grey
MSRP: $37,650
Invoice: $34,600
Costco Discount and trade from other brand incentive: $2,900
Down payment: $4,000
Total pre tax: $27,700
After tax: $29,578

Overall not bad at all IMO for pricing we now just have to decide which one we want and if we want that much of a payment, we're pretty frugal and haven't bought a brand new car in forever.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
6 Posts
Kellyzollo good to hear!

Costco will also send you a 50% off parts coupon after purchase (up to $100 reg, $200 executive members, total discount), good off parts, service, or accessories. For a hitch check out Curt, I ordered one for about $140 and other than holding all 50lbs of it up there it just bolts onto the frame. Or uhaul dealers sell them and installs for like $60.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kellyzollo good to hear!

Costco will also send you a 50% off parts coupon after purchase (up to $100 reg, $200 executive members, total discount), good off parts, service, or accessories. For a hitch check out Curt, I ordered one for about $140 and other than holding all 50lbs of it up there it just bolts onto the frame. Or uhaul dealers sell them and installs for like $60.
I think that was why we also held off on getting that quoted. If it is something simple my husband can do it. Overall I thought the pricing is good we just have been super frugal and are like do we want that high of a payment which I know is the going rate of a good car in that price range. Compared to shopping for a used Pilot you can from my research with the right discounts get a better deal on a brand new one. I really enjoy my power lift gate currently in my Pathfinder, my husband and I both use memory driver seat so that is handy. And the second row USB would be helpful for my son we just have to decide it it worth the jump in price for us.

Also looked up incentives on the Pilot there is a Manufacturer to Dealer incentive for $1,750 so I am not sure how that would work either I may have to do some more research.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L; 2020 PILOT EX-L
1 Posts
Trim level 2020 pILOT ex-L
FWD
Factory options selected NONE

MSRP inc delivery $40,575.00
Actual Price Paid before extras $32,570.00
Dealer fitted extras (eg rubber mats, towing) $0 Pin sripping and wheel locks included in above price
Tax $2,996.44
Title and other fees $365..50
Total $35,931.94

Dealer name, city, state. Royal Honda, Metairie, LA
Additionally, please share if you traded in a car or not. They paid me $500 more than I expected for my trade in.

I exercise where they store their inventory, starting in early March I noticed the inventory levels were not going down. Same number of vehicles 7 days in a row. I started on April 6 by picking a vehicle and asking for a price via their website. It took 2 weeks of negotiating all via email and I purchased the vehicle on April 24. It is worth the time to get quotes from several dealers if you are not in a desperate need to purchase a new car.

Thank you
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought my white, Honda Pilot, EXL FWD. I paid $34,410 OTD/check (including Texas TTL.)
No trade-in, but the dealer helped me identify the Loyalty Program because my DAUGHTER has a CRV parked outside and registered to this address!!

Excellent Dealer - 'Honda of Tomball' - Outside of Houston, TX
Excellent Salesperson - E. Hagan
Costco $500 card is coming in 2 weeks!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trim level 2020 pILOT ex-L
FWD
Factory options selected NONE

MSRP inc delivery $40,575.00
Actual Price Paid before extras $32,570.00
Dealer fitted extras (eg rubber mats, towing) $0 Pin sripping and wheel locks included in above price
Tax $2,996.44
Title and other fees $365..50
Total $35,931.94
[/QUOTE]

Does MSRP $40,575 include any add-on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought my white, Honda Pilot, EXL FWD. I paid $34,410 OTD/check (including Texas TTL.)
No trade-in, but the dealer helped me identify the Loyalty Program because my DAUGHTER has a CRV parked outside and registered to this address!!

Excellent Dealer - 'Honda of Tomball' - Outside of Houston, TX
Excellent Salesperson - E. Hagan
Costco $500 card is coming in 2 weeks!!!
What's your Costco Member-Only Price?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got mine from Autonation in Arizona

EX FWD Blue (no trade in)
MSRP: $35,500
Sell Price Pre-tax: $28,800 (includes loyalty incentive)
OTD: $31,800

much better interaction than I had with KIA

·
Registered
4 Posts
What's your Costco Member-Only Price?
My initial Costco price was about $35,450, the price I would write the OTD check. (I asked to only hear the OTD price.) The negotiation continued from there... It was NOT 'one and done!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My initial Costco price was about $35,450, the price I would write the OTD check. (I asked to only hear the OTD price.) The negotiation continued from there... It was NOT 'one and done!
Thanks. So what's your final Costco price before TTL?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I paid $34,410 final, OTD / including Texas TTL. Sorry, I don't remember what the TTL was. I just made the comparison easy for myself.

In that total, my dealer actively found me a 'Honda Loyalty Discount' (daughter's car) of which I was not aware. I drove a Honda Pilot with well over 300,000 miles on it - that didn't qualify because of age/2003!

Unrelated to this price, my $500 Costco gift card should arrive in about a week. The whole thing was easier than I imagined. Costco actually contacted me a few days later and said, "We saw you bought your car!" "Fill out this simple survey and your gift card will be sent to you." I think I was given a code to insert into the survey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I paid $34,410 final, OTD / including Texas TTL. Sorry, I don't remember what the TTL was. I just made the comparison easy for myself.

In that total, my dealer actively found me a 'Honda Loyalty Discount' (daughter's car) of which I was not aware. I drove a Honda Pilot with well over 300,000 miles on it - that didn't qualify because of age/2003!

Unrelated to this price, my $500 Costco gift card should arrive in about a week. The whole thing was easier than I imagined. Costco actually contacted me a few days later and said, "We saw you bought your car!" "Fill out this simple survey and your gift card will be sent to you." I think I was given a code to insert into the survey.
Another dealer in the Houston area offered $35,000 OTD (which also included daughter's, 'Loyalty CRV') - completely unrelated to Costco. Gillman Honda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi.
I'm currently making an offer on a 2020 Pilot Elite (White with black interior).
Tulsa Oklahoma. I'm eligible for the $1000 Honda loyalty offer.

My first offer was:
Vehicle Price: $40,500.00
Doc Fee: $499.00
8 Year 120,000 mile 0 deductible HondaCare Extended Warranty: $1,300.00
Total: $42,299.00

Sales person countered with "best they can do out the door is":
Vehicle Price: $42,043.00 (Says that includes all weather floor mats, rubber trunk tray, wheel locks, and window tint)
Doc Fee: $499.00
Says the warranty would be $3,400.00

Of course they are way out of line on that warranty. I've got several bids from the online dealers (Hyannis, Saccuci, Curry) and they are all in the $1360 to $1485 range.

What do you think? Should I see if they'll go lower on the vehicle price?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please use this thread to discuss pricing on model year 2020 Pilots ONLY!

How to report your price:

ex
fwd
Factory features, no extras

35,500 sticker including deliver
30,000 advertised on car gurus
1,000 tax
I offered 17k out the door with my trade, which I figured was worth around $15.5k, 2019 accord lx with 40,000 miles
The took it, also got 0.9 financing for 60 months, 820+ credit score, Dealership gives lifetime warranty

Brandon Honda in Brandon,Florida
Traded in 2019 accord lx with 40k miles, needed new tires, perfect shape otherwise

Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
New 2020 pilot touring 2wd
44410 msrp
Nitrogen for 199 was only extra.

39k otd negotiated over phone/email

They baked in first responder plus Honda conquest into the deal.

Traded in a car to knock another 7k off.
I used usaa TrueCar then negotiated from there. Also used 0.9% 60 month finance.

I only spent a few days texting and emailing salesmen but I imagine I could get another 1-2k max off if I spent more time but it gets old having them pretend to be your best friend, tel you that’s the “best they can do”, then come back with a little lower, etc.
I am not a good negotiator and this is my first new car.
Also the finance office.. how annoying. No I do not want your extended warranty for $3900 How ridiculous.
First Texas Honda in austin.

281 - 300 of 326 Posts