Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

261 - 280 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
5 Posts
Just to understand, you still have to pay the tax at the DMV, correct? How much more is that going to be?
Correct. In Missouri, sales tax on vehicles is due at the DMV when paying registration and getting the plates. My combined state+local rate is 8.6%, which would be $3,784.00 in sales tax on $44k. I have 2 vehicles I'm selling privately so I will be able to deduct those sales prices to reduce my sales tax as if they were traded in. For example: New Pilot $44k - (my 2 old vehicle sales total $27k), then I pay sales tax on the difference ($17k) which is only $1462.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is the deal I'm signing on tomorrow less anybody here advises me to do otherwise...

2020 Touring 7 Passenger
AWD
Captian's Chairs in the 2nd Row

MSRP inc delivery: $46,015
Actual Price Paid before extras: $41,466
Dealer fitted extras (eg rubber mats, towing): None yet.
Tax (NC): $1,243.98
Title and other fees: $482.50 (includes $385 DMV Fee + $75 Dealer Doc Fee + $12.50 NY State Tire Fee + $10 Inspection Fee)
Total: $43,192.48

(I am considering buying an extended warranty. 120K / 8year with a $0 deductible. Pricing I've gotten from various dealerships has ranged from $2554 to $2880 and I'm not yet clear on whether or not this product has set pricing from the manufacturer, or if it varies dealer to dealer. Does anybody know?)

Morehead Honda, Newburgh, New York
No trade-in.
I have that warranty paid 1800 zero deductible

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
6 Posts
Emailed several dealers in Idaho and Utah for their best prices including destination but before TTL on EX-L AWD. Most quoted around $36k, one in Utah was $35k, eastern Idaho $34.5k for a couple specific cars. The local dealer this was through Costco, and I am actually very surprised it was this low, usually Costco is a decent deal but not great. Thought I could negotiate with a couple for a slightly lower price, but the convenience of the local dealer and free car washes sold me. I'll also get a 50% coupon off parts/accessories (up to $200 discount) after I complete a survey.

EX-L AWD, no factory options selected
MSRP inc delivery $41,080
Actual Price Paid before extras $35,100 (also get $500 Costco gc)
- includes $1000 loyalty incentive for our CR-V
Dealer fitted extras: all season floor mats, mud guards about $300
Appearance protection: $250
Doc fee: $399
Tax 6% in ID, about $650
Title $14
Total about $36,700 (less $25k for our trade)
We got $25,000 for our '19 CR-V EX-L which helped offset the sales tax. I had received lowball bids from CarMax at $32,500 and Vroom $33,000 so thought this was a fair price, right at kbb trade value.

I researched using this thread (thanks!) and CarGurus price box plots and based on their range of $34k-$35k incl destination of a great-good range, getting the equivalent of $34.6k for the car before add-ons and a fair trade price sounded great to me.

Larry Miller Honda, Boise, ID

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is this a good deal?
2020 Touring 8 Passenger
AWD with Nav and Res

MSRP inc delivery: $45840
Price before extras: $39850
(That is with the $1000 Honda Royalty included)

·
Registered
3 Posts
If anyone is interested in lease info I just got a 2020 Touring AWD with captains rear seats for 373/mo with $2500 down after tax title loan etc. 36mo 12k miles per year. The also paid off the $700 I had left on my CRV lease.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks all on this forum, it was quite helpful. I've got my new pilot yesterday.
Think it was a good price for me, could get a better deal from other areas i believe.
2020 pilot EX-L AWD, St. Louis, MO
$41,080 MSRP
Sale Price $ 33,301
Doc fees $199
OTD $33,500 plus tax and registration
No down with Honda finance at 1.9% for 72months

All the negotiation through emails and picked up at the dealership.
Quite happy with the deal and the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally pulled the trigger today. 2020 EX-L FWD. I'm in SoCal. MSRP is 39k. Got it for 32k (including loyalty discount). Traded in my 2009 civic LX for $2500 (which is more than I expected). Financed for 60 month at 0.9%. Honda also added $500 to my downpayment because I'm healthcare worker. Costco will also be giving me a $500 gift card for using Costco auto (which actually helped a lot in getting them to drop the price). I tried 6 other dealers and none were willing to beat this price in SoCal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Decided to get a touring 2020 crystal black AWD 7 passenger
Msrp: 46140
negotiated price: 38,600
Doc/title: 285.00
Trade: 10,750 (which brought down taxes)
Tax (7%): 1970.00
Total out the door not factoring trade value:

·
Registered
5 Posts
14 years ago we skipped out on a Honda due to a really rude and pushy sales guy. I want something a little more reliable given we have put a lot already into our Pathfinder and it just reached 100K and since we know CVT transmissions have issues we do not want to keep it. So we agreed we had to give the Pilot a fair shake versus the Sorento we had been eying. We are looking to trade in my Pathfinder. Our Pathfinder is fully equipped with a lot of bells and whistles, towing package, XM Radio, backup camera with sensors, the only thing missing is Android Auto/Apple Car Play.

We have never paid above invoice pricing on a few car and Honda is running that great interest rate at the moment, if not we will finance through the credit union we have my Pathfinder at for 2.4%. We are also looking to place a pretty good amount down between 3-5 thousand on top of our trade in. I was not sure how to list the documentation fees and what not here I do know that sales tax here in UT is 6.87%. We also did drive a barely used 2019 but they wanted $35,000 for it and honestly we can get a brand new one for that much. I also sent out a request through my husbands True Car dealer and our Coscto dealer but it is Sunday so I can't really talk to them till Monday.

2020 EX-L AWD Lunar Silver/Grey
MSRP: $40,995
Discounts: $2,802
Advertised price: $37,891
Invoice price: $36,523

2020 EX AWD Steel Saphirre/Grey
MSRP: $37,650
Discounts: $2,802
Advertised Price: $34,848
Invoice Price: $33,394

We aren't sure what is a reasonable price to offer on these. I would really like to offer them invoice plus our down payment as I do feel that is fair or maybe we are just being too cheap. Just looking for advice on how to best negotiate the best deal on those Pilots. We don't need Leather but we do prefer it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2020 AWD 7 passenger Touring...
MSRP = 46,015
Dealer invoice sheet (what they showed me, anyway) 41,137
Utah Dealer fee + delivery = 411 + 1120
Honda Conquest = -1000
Dealer Cash = -1750
39918...and I was able (via a clerical error) to get $80 further into holdback...so
39838 before Trade & TTL...
0.9% for 60 months

Then...
Military = -500 on downpayment
Costco = -500 (costco gift card)

I worked on them for about a month and they weren't budging any further. I think we are seeing an artificial "bump" due to stimulus package and good financing/incentives which are unusual for Honda. According to a few articles out there they missed sales in March by 50% year over year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2020 AWD 7 passenger Touring...
MSRP = 46,015
Dealer invoice sheet (what they showed me, anyway) 41,137
Utah Dealer fee + delivery = 411 + 1120
Honda Conquest = -1000
Dealer Cash = -1750
39918...and I was able (via a clerical error) to get $80 further into holdback...so
39838 before Trade & TTL...
0.9% for 60 months

Then...
Military = -500 on downpayment
Costco = -500 (costco gift card)

I worked on them for about a month and they weren't budging any further. I think we are seeing an artificial "bump" due to stimulus package and good financing/incentives which are unusual for Honda. According to a few articles out there they missed sales in March by 50% year over year.
Would you mind telling what dealer you had the luck with? With so many choices here in UT and we are Costco members that would be helpful. We have reached out via Costco's website but it was late yesterday and with today being Sunday they were closed. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
6 Posts
Would you mind telling what dealer you had the luck with? With so many choices here in UT and we are Costco members that would be helpful. We have reached out via Costco's website but it was late yesterday and with today being Sunday they were closed. Thanks!
Hi, also see my post up above, but email them all when you are ready to purchase. I emailed several in SLC area: Ken Garff Downtown, Larry Miller Murray, Performance Bountiful. For an EX-L AWD, Performance came down to $35,000, rest were around $36,000. If you want to drive up to Twin Falls, Idaho, they came down to $34,500 for a couple specific models - they were one of those "let me know your bid and I'll check with the manager." I threw out 34,500 and they agreed.. so you could like go a bit lower, or get someone else to match it down in Utah. I forgot about Stockton 12 check them out too. Last year when shopping for a CR-V I emailed ~10 dealers in eastern WA/OR, ID, and Utah, and Ken Garff and Stockton 12 in Utah were the lowest. Larry Miller in Murray said they had a price guarantee so that could be an advantage as well. I think there was one more Young Honda, if I remember correctly they were the only ones that really didn't like that customers could now email and request quotes, long speal about customers just using the bids to shop other dealers - well yeah, that is the name of the game today. I purposely did not reach out to them again this year. Everyone else at least responded and played the game a bit.

To add on a bit and address your earlier question: yes Costco and TrueCar (I have also used American Express auto program) are all pretty good. Honestly Costco used to be "just okay" getting you +/- $500 of invoice but their deal on the Pilot EX-L AWD was about $35,000 which was awesome (included a $1000 loyalty incentive for the CR-V), then a $500 gc on top. Use those services as a starting point, but also email all the dealers and ask for their best price once you are set on a particular trim and even color, say you are ready to purchase this weekend or whatever, use Honda financing (it's 0.9%!) as sometimes that helps. Then you can either pick the bets and get another to match it if you have a preference, or beat it if you're really ambitious.

Use this site to get a range of pricing, note their ranges don't include the destination fee so add about $1000 to their price ranges.
For the EX-L AWD it said the good range was $34k-$35k, and great below $34k, so my deal of 34,600 seemed decent and it was a local dealer. Anecdotal evidence on this forum of same trim getting in the high 32s - 33s but mostly on the east coast. You can certainly have one shipped but from the east coast that may add 1000-1500. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, also see my post up above, but email them all when you are ready to purchase. I emailed several in SLC area: Ken Garff Downtown, Larry Miller Murray, Performance Bountiful. For an EX-L AWD, Performance came down to $35,000, rest were around $36,000. If you want to drive up to Twin Falls, Idaho, they came down to $34,500 for a couple specific models - they were one of those "let me know your bid and I'll check with the manager." I threw out 34,500 and they agreed.. so you could like go a bit lower, or get someone else to match it down in Utah. I forgot about Stockton 12 check them out too. Last year when shopping for a CR-V I emailed ~10 dealers in eastern WA/OR, ID, and Utah, and Ken Garff and Stockton 12 in Utah were the lowest. Larry Miller in Murray said they had a price guarantee so that could be an advantage as well. I think there was one more Young Honda, if I remember correctly they were the only ones that really didn't like that customers could now email and request quotes, long speal about customers just using the bids to shop other dealers - well yeah, that is the name of the game today. I purposely did not reach out to them again this year. Everyone else at least responded and played the game a bit.

To add on a bit and address your earlier question: yes Costco and TrueCar (I have also used American Express auto program) are all pretty good. Honestly Costco used to be "just okay" getting you +/- $500 of invoice but their deal on the Pilot EX-L AWD was about $35,000 which was awesome (included a $1000 loyalty incentive for the CR-V), then a $500 gc on top. Use those services as a starting point, but also email all the dealers and ask for their best price once you are set on a particular trim and even color, say you are ready to purchase this weekend or whatever, use Honda financing (it's 0.9%!) as sometimes that helps. Then you can either pick the bets and get another to match it if you have a preference, or beat it if you're really ambitious.

Use this site to get a range of pricing, note their ranges don't include the destination fee so add about $1000 to their price ranges.
For the EX-L AWD it said the good range was $34k-$35k, and great below $34k, so my deal of 34,600 seemed decent and it was a local dealer. Anecdotal evidence on this forum of same trim getting in the high 32s - 33s but mostly on the east coast. You can certainly have one shipped but from the east coast that may add 1000-1500. Good luck!
This is such great information our Costco dealer is Stockton so we are going to go in tonight to see what the pricing is on an EX L and the EX. I love that Sapphire Blue color but they don't have an EX L at the dealership there in that color. So I am going to see if they could get it or something if not I know Ken Garff downtown has one as does Riverdale/Boutniful but those are a bit of a drive for us. They have an EX in it but I think we are going to try and swing the EX L. When we were there last Saturday we were told we would qualify for the 0.9% based on our scores and I would like to swing that way if we can too it beats out our 2.4% pre-approval from our CU. I will follow up here tonight to see how it goes hubby wants to go drive the Highlander too he is a Toyota guy but they seem super pricey and I like the look of the Pilot better.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
6 Posts
You're welcome! We compared the Highlander hybrid also and while new for 2020 and better mileage the third row has smaller pitch, 2-3" less headroom, and just smaller overall by a couple inches in all dimensions. You also had to go up to the Limited to get the memory seat function which brought it up to $48k (not worth it). My wife and I are a foot apart so we make use of the memory seat function frequently.

261 - 280 of 326 Posts