Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With an MSRP of $50,715, I believe this is the most expensive Honda vehicle ever offered for sale in the US.

There is no mention of changes to the 2020 model aside from the addition of the Black Edition.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's correct. There are none. The Pilot was just refreshed for 2019, so 2020 is carryover year except for the Black Edition.

·
Registered
223 Posts
With an MSRP of $50,715, I believe this is the most expensive Honda vehicle ever offered for sale in the US.

There is no mention of changes to the 2020 model aside from the addition of the Black Edition.

That's crazy insane

2019 Touring AWD MSM
2016 Touring AWD MSM (traded-in)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will be buying a new car within the next 5-6 months. I was curious to see if Honda would make any improvements (understand they would be minor, like maybe switching the blinkers/back light to full LED), but seeing this, I will for sure go the Palisade route (hopefully by then the hysteria will have died down and will be able to get it for MSRP or lower).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I will be buying a new car within the next 5-6 months. I was curious to see if Honda would make any improvements (understand they would be minor, like maybe switching the blinkers/back light to full LED), but seeing this, I will for sure go the Palisade route (hopefully by then the hysteria will have died down and will be able to get it for MSRP or lower).
The Telluride and Palisade are a really nice. The Stinger and Telluride were the first two models that made me think twice about the brand.

However, it wouldn't be wise to pay MSRP for any vehicle - particularly a Hyundai or Kia. Something like a Civic Type R - maybe. Paying MSRP is not only too much for a Palisade, but since its a Hyundai the resale value almost certainly won't be anywhere near as strong so you may end up shooting the left one foot buying it and the other foot selling it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Some Hyundai dealers are discounting the 2019 Elantra by as much as $5,700. You can get a $21,000 MSRP Elantra for around $15,000. That is a great value proposition for a new vehicle with safety systems included. No reason to purchase a used vehicle for your son or daughter when you can pick up this Elantra with the 10 yr/100K warranty.

Elantra.PNG

I imagine the Palisade/Telluride will have comparable discounts not too far down the road. That is a lot of money for a BE Pilot. Hope they don't build too many of them. A little disappointed the changes on the 2020 Pilot are only skin deep.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If resale value is a concern, you will definitely get creamed on a Hyundai, even if it ends up being a solid car. We were going to unload my wife's Elantra when we bought the Pilot, but once we saw how little we would get for it, we just kept it. Its private party number is down 60-70% from what she paid in just five years - the figure for a comparable Civic is closer to 50%.

I kind of like the Black Edition, but I would imagine the sales are going to be pretty limited. It's essentially an Elite with an appearance package. I would think the only people who will look seriously at it are the ones who are also considering the Elite in black. If you really want to black out another trim, they already sell the accessories to do it.

Honda likes to put out a Special Edition trim in the last year of a generation's life cycle, but this isn't it. The SE usually lands in the middle of the lineup, rather than at the very top of it. Since the rest of the lineup is basically unchanged, I imagine part of the reason for the Black Edition was to have something new for 2020. But I kind of think part of it also was to find a "soft" way to break the $50k psychological barrier. That's new territory for Honda, and at first blush, people will say it's an absurd number for a non-luxury marque. But the sticker for the 2020 Elite is already $49,215 after destination, so I would think it passes the $50k mark by the 2022 model year, if not 2021. Maybe introducing a new trim to go there first will keep people from being shocked when the Elite gets there.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
No surprise here that the PIlot has no substantial changes the year after a mid-model refresh... only time that's happened was when they totally botched the 9th gen Civic.

RE: Hyundai... My wife's family have bough a lot of them over the years, never for anything close to MSRP. I think the difference in resale is usually pretty close to the difference in initial price (I'd wait for the Palisade to get to normal Hyundai discounts), so that's a wash. I would seriously consider them because the '08 Sonata I'm daily driving to keep miles down on my Traverse has been bulletproof since my wife drove it off the lot brand new and has a more comfortable seat than almost any new vehicle I've been in.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If resale value is a concern, you will definitely get creamed on a Hyundai, even if it ends up being a solid car. We were going to unload my wife's Elantra when we bought the Pilot, but once we saw how little we would get for it, we just kept it. Its private party number is down 60-70% from what she paid in just five years - the figure for a comparable Civic is closer to 50%.

I kind of like the Black Edition, but I would imagine the sales are going to be pretty limited. It's essentially an Elite with an appearance package. I would think the only people who will look seriously at it are the ones who are also considering the Elite in black. If you really want to black out another trim, they already sell the accessories to do it.

Honda likes to put out a Special Edition trim in the last year of a generation's life cycle, but this isn't it. The SE usually lands in the middle of the lineup, rather than at the very top of it. Since the rest of the lineup is basically unchanged, I imagine part of the reason for the Black Edition was to have something new for 2020. But I kind of think part of it also was to find a "soft" way to break the $50k psychological barrier. That's new territory for Honda, and at first blush, people will say it's an absurd number for a non-luxury marque. But the sticker for the 2020 Elite is already $49,215 after destination, so I would think it passes the $50k mark by the 2022 model year, if not 2021. Maybe introducing a new trim to go there first will keep people from being shocked when the Elite gets there.
Excellent summary.

The 2017-current Ridgeline has offered a Black Edition since they went on sale. The take rate is somewhere around 10%.

·
Registered
21 Posts
To clarify, I wouldn’t pay MSRP or above for any car. I agree with everyone here on that point. Reading the Telluride’s forums with people paying $5K over MSRP is just insane. If I had to buy a car right now I’d go for the Pilot, for sure. In 5-6 months I’ll decide if we go for the Pilot or the Palisade (if it’s discounted and no big issues have been detected).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Am I reading this incorrectly or this has always been the case? “Honda i-VTM4 torque-vectoring all-wheel drive available on all trims? I guess it is standard on the Elite and Touring but optional on lower trims. That’s not a change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some Hyundai dealers are discounting the 2019 Elantra by as much as $5,700. You can get a $21,000 MSRP Elantra for around $15,000. That is a great value proposition for a new vehicle with safety systems included. No reason to purchase a used vehicle for your son or daughter when you can pick up this Elantra with the 10 yr/100K warranty.
My assistant at work recently tried to trade in his wife's 2010 Sonata. The Hyundai dealer didn't want it. They talked him into buying a new 2019 Elantra SE then letting the 2010 Sonata get repo'd, which he did. After he got the Elantra home, he realized it didn't have cruise control - this basic feature isn't even available on the SE. :)

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
My assistant at work recently tried to trade in his wife's 2010 Sonata. The Hyundai dealer didn't want it. They talked him into buying a new 2019 Elantra SE then letting the 2010 Sonata get repo'd, which he did. After he got the Elantra home, he realized it didn't have cruise control - this basic feature isn't even available on the SE. :)
I'd be asking your assistant (must be nice to have one of those!) why he didn't...you know... look over the car and play with the features before driving it home?

Can't buy the cheapest car possible and be shocked at what it doesn't have.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd be asking your assistant (must be nice to have one of those!) why he didn't...you know... look over the car and play with the features before driving it home?

Can't buy the cheapest car possible and be shocked at what it doesn't have.
Oh, I completely agree. But, he's also the type who shops based solely on monthly payment and defaults on auto loans at the advice of a car salesman. ;)

On the other hand, even the $15,495 MSRP Nissan Versa S Plus comes with a cruise control.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts