Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just bought a 2020 EX model. Love it so far but I would like to upgrade the LED Headlights. The 2020 already comes with LED bulb but has anyone replaced the factory bulb for better quality bulbs?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Are you talking about the LED low beams, or the Halogen high beam bulb?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you talking about the LED low beams, or the Halogen high beam bulb?
Looking to upgrade the led low beams. Light output is not bad but I feel it could be better with good quality LED.

I'm sure someone already tried it !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Looking to upgrade the led low beams. Light output is not bad but I feel it could be better with good quality LED.

I'm sure someone already tried it !
I dunno I would be careful assuming that the junk you are gonna get on Amazon or eBay is gonna be better than OEM but I really don't know

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dunno I would be careful assuming that the junk you are gonna get on Amazon or eBay is gonna be better than OEM but I really don't know
Don't worry, I would not order junk on Amazon or Ebay! I was thinking at a 45 xenon pro bulb.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
Why would you put or attempt to put a Xenon bulb in an LED fixture, or does you model only have LED low beams? My Touring is an all LED headlight system.

edit: Sorry forgot to mention, my Touring is a Passport.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would you put or attempt to put a Xenon bulb in an LED fixture, or does you model only have LED low beams? My Touring is an all LED headlight system.

edit: Sorry forgot to mention, my Touring is a Passport.
Xenon pro is a brand and they sell HIDs but also LED bulbs. That's why I mentionned Led Bulb.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
You need to spend some time in your owner's manual and/or under the hood of your vehicle.

I'm 99% sure that the gen 3.5 LED projectors (not the reflector matrix on the high zoot models) use a dedicated LED projector assembly, not an LED bulb inside of a traditional projector. Therefor this is NOT a serviceable item and you cannot simply replace a bulb, not that what you were planning was going to be an upgrade anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
Yep, If you have a halogen high beam version then you can change the high beam bulbs only. Otherwise you put in all new headlight assemblies for the full LED versions. Page 653 or the manual.

Models with LED high beam headlights
High beam headlights are LED type. Have an authorized Honda dealer inspect and replace the light assembly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The full LED lighting on my 19 Touring is fantastic compared to any other car I've ever driven. I can't imagine what kind of "upgrade" you're expecting or what your specific complaint about the factory lighting you have. I have none personally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need to spend some time in your owner's manual and/or under the hood of your vehicle.

I'm 99% sure that the gen 3.5 LED projectors (not the reflector matrix on the high zoot models) use a dedicated LED projector assembly, not an LED bulb inside of a traditional projector. Therefor this is NOT a serviceable item and you cannot simply replace a bulb, not that what you were planning was going to be an upgrade anyway.
I read the owner's manual and I spent some time under the hood and this is a LED bulb you can replace. As I already stated, it's an EX version. Not the touring with the multiple led assembly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The full LED lighting on my 19 Touring is fantastic compared to any other car I've ever driven. I can't imagine what kind of "upgrade" you're expecting or what your specific complaint about the factory lighting you have. I have none personally.
If you read my original post, this is a EX version. Not a touring with the multiple LED assembly.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I read the owner's manual and I spent some time under the hood and this is a LED bulb you can replace. As I already stated, it's an EX version. Not the touring with the multiple led assembly.
The snip below is from a 2020 Pilot Owner's Manual... it says the dealer will replace the assembly if the LED low beams go out. LED projectors don't have one of these LED insertable bulbs in them, they have LEDs built into the reflector bowl and the bowl is designed to project the light properly. Most LED projectors have the chips on top of the housing pointing down.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you read my original post, this is a EX version. Not a touring with the multiple LED assembly.
Sorry about that... I didn't realize there was a difference in the light assemblies, I thought for 2020 they just migrated the same light assembly down the line like they did with the advanced driving assist features.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Sorry about that... I didn't realize there was a difference in the light assemblies, I thought for 2020 they just migrated the same light assembly down the line like they did with the advanced driving assist features.

Cheers
They did and they didn't. The EX-L and below got the LED projector setup from the pre-facelift Touring and Elite. The Touring and Elite got a multi-reflector setup similar to the Accord and higher level trims of the Ody, CR-V and Civic.

·
Registered
306 Posts
According to IIHS testing, the LED projector low beams used in the EX-L and below outperform the LED reflector low beams used in the Touring and Elite. The halogen high beams in the EX-L and below don't perform quite as well to the sides as the LED reflectors in the Touring and Elite, but they reach farther ahead. Both designs would likely have received the highest rating of "good" had the low beam LED projectors not exceeded a couple of glare thresholds by 2.7% (that's not much).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Just bought a 2020 EX model. Love it so far but I would like to upgrade the LED Headlights. The 2020 already comes with LED bulb but has anyone replaced the factory bulb for better quality bulbs?
LED is brighter, use less energy, and last longer than Xenon light. It would be a down grade going from LED to Xenon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts