Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

A few weeks ago we leased a 2020 Honda Pilot (first time ever leasing) after looking at the Traverse, Atlas, CX9, etc and so happy with the choice we made. I just found this forum and appreciate all the useful posts and advice. I am contemplating hardwiring a dash cam and wondering if anyone might be able to give some advice or direct me to a Youtube video specific to the installation in a Pilot. I would prefer to hardwire it so I won't have to plug it into a cigarette lighter ever time and I don't want cords sticking out (yes, I have OCD). I'd prefer not to wire it to rear view mirror since it's a lease.

Here are some questions I have:
1. I have looked at some Youtube videos and I think a rounded camera (lipstick/cigar size) instead of a rectangular shaped one would be less restrictive visually. Is there any you would recommend?
2. I'm concerned about where exactly to place it behind the rear view mirror so I don't block the windshield mounted camera for Lane Keeping Assist System as well as auto dimmer sensor for rear view mirror. Suggestions?
3. How difficult is it to remove the "A Pillar" trim so I can hide the wire?
4. I know I will have to use circuit tester to find a constant fuse and ignition switch fuse but wondering if someone has done this already they could tell me which ones they used.
5. Any suggestions overall would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know you’re adverse to a cigarette lighter but the Pilot is set up where you can tuck the cord into trim and you don’t see it except for at the lighter plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know you’re adverse to a cigarette lighter but the Pilot is set up where you can tuck the cord into trim and you don’t see it except for at the lighter plug

Thank you. Does it continue to draw power from cigarette lighter even if the car is off? I know simple answer is to unplug it every time but I know I will forget ever once in awhile. Don't want to wake up to dead battery or shorten life of battery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unless they changed something from 2017 it doesn’t draw any power when turned off. I keep mine plugged in

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Indeed. I installed a dashcam in my '19 Elite. The wiring is only visible 2" from the camera to the headliner, and about four inches near the USB/cig plug.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Here is an excellent thread containing several different dash cams and how they were installed.

I used fuse #28 by the driver's left foot in my 2019 Touring. It was a blank live location which was switched power, on only with the key on. It also allowed the camera to continue running while the auto/stop feature of the car shut the car off at traffic lights, stop signs, etc. If you have the auto/stop feature you will want to make sure the camera continues to run when the auto/stop activates.

I am using a VIOFO A119 purchased from Amazon. I have it mounted on the left side of the rear-view mirror on the windshield. It doesn't interfere with the camera for the LKAS or other functions. I also have an EZ-Pass on the right hand side which also has caused no problems. I ran the cable from the camera through the headliner front edge just by pushing it into it, down the left A pillar trim piece, again just by pushing it into it, and then down to the fuse box. I grounded the power box to a metal stud above the gas or brake pedal, don't recall which one right now.

Dash Cam Install Hardwired

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is an excellent thread containing several different dash cams and how they were installed.

I used fuse #28 by the driver's left foot in my 2019 Touring. It was a blank live location which was switched power, on only with the key on. It also allowed the camera to continue running while the auto/stop feature of the car shut the car off at traffic lights, stop signs, etc. If you have the auto/stop feature you will want to make sure the camera continues to run when the auto/stop activates.

I am using a VIOFO A119 purchased from Amazon. I have it mounted on the left side of the rear-view mirror on the windshield. It doesn't interfere with the camera for the LKAS or other functions. I also have an EZ-Pass on the right hand side which also has caused no problems. I ran the cable from the camera through the headliner front edge just by pushing it into it, down the left A pillar trim piece, again just by pushing it into it, and then down to the fuse box. I grounded the power box to a metal stud above the gas or brake pedal, don't recall which one right now.

Dash Cam Install Hardwired
Just what I was looking for, thanks so much!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wired my garmin into the wiring harness using the wires for the garage door opener in the mirror (constant 12vdc) the power for the sunroof switches (Acc power.. aka switched) and while I was at it, I removed the constant power from the garage door opener and routed the ACC power to it. It bothers me they design these to allow the garage door to be opened without the vehicle running. Simple home security failure in my mind.

I have the camera mounted to the left of the vehicle camera in front of the mirror. you can barely notice its there and the wire goes in the vehicle camera housing. maybe 2" visible.

Unfortunately, I did not not take any pictures. I do have an electronics background and just probed wires until I found what I wanted. It was quite easy to do though.

I am anal so I cut, soldered and shrink wrapped what I did, but you can probably use the inline "vampire" taps if you would like too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

A few weeks ago we leased a 2020 Honda Pilot (first time ever leasing) after looking at the Traverse, Atlas, CX9, etc and so happy with the choice we made. I just found this forum and appreciate all the useful posts and advice. I am contemplating hardwiring a dash cam and wondering if anyone might be able to give some advice or direct me to a Youtube video specific to the installation in a Pilot. I would prefer to hardwire it so I won't have to plug it into a cigarette lighter ever time and I don't want cords sticking out (yes, I have OCD). I'd prefer not to wire it to rear view mirror since it's a lease.

Here are some questions I have:
1. I have looked at some Youtube videos and I think a rounded camera (lipstick/cigar size) instead of a rectangular shaped one would be less restrictive visually. Is there any you would recommend?
2. I'm concerned about where exactly to place it behind the rear view mirror so I don't block the windshield mounted camera for Lane Keeping Assist System as well as auto dimmer sensor for rear view mirror. Suggestions?
3. How difficult is it to remove the "A Pillar" trim so I can hide the wire?
4. I know I will have to use circuit tester to find a constant fuse and ignition switch fuse but wondering if someone has done this already they could tell me which ones they used.
5. Any suggestions overall would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I installed mine to the side of the housing for the sunroof and it was very easy to tuck the wire into the ceiling liner all the way back to the rear without removing anything. In the rear I fished the wire down to the rear “cigarette lighter” power outlet which I never use (and if I did need it the car would be parked anyway). I started fishing just forward of the back of the rear side window. It comes out of the little door on the driver side which accesses the fuel funnel, etc. Actually I started at that point and worked forward because the power plug end is larger than the end which inserts into the cam. Took about an hour. No power when ignition is off, which is my preference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just took ours to Best Buy, $49 to install the front and back camera...done. Any trouble in the future and they'll fix it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed a Roav dash cam and didn't need to remove any panels to hide the wires. I used a black lighter adapter which is unnoticeable unless you are looking for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts