Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L AWD
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than going to a dealer, does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement LED bulb (same as the one installed on my Pilot)? Also, can i replace the high beam bulbs (I believe they installed halogens on the EX-L) with LED bulbs safely? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The LED is integrated into the projector, so you'd have to replace the entire projector which likely is not meant to be serviceable, so you'd have to bake the headlight to remove the lens. I have a feeling if yours is out you are looking at replacing the housing.

As far as high beam LED replacement bulbs, you can certainly get a high quality bulb (like the Supernova V4) but if you get a cheap Amazon or Ebay bulb you will get a crappy beam pattern.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L AWD
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
??? According to the manual, all you have to do is remove the low beam bulbs for a 2020 EX-L. Replace the entire projector? Am i missing something here?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cintocrunch is correct. Read the manual again. High beam(halogen) bulbs are replaced in the typical bulb replacement method. The low beam(LED) is dealer serviceable. Doesn't mean you couldn't DIY, but . . .

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
See the picture below... this is a typical LED projector configuration, no bulb coming in from the back rather the LED chip is mounted at the top or the bottom and shoots down (or up) into the bowl, which shapes the output that gets to the projector lens. If your LED chip stops working you would have to remove the projector to disassemble it to replace the LEDs. Or replace the projector if you don't want to or can't disassemble it. Or replace the entire headlight if you can't get to the projector.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Cintocrunch is correct. Read the manual again. High beam(halogen) bulbs are replaced in the typical bulb replacement method. The low beam(LED) is dealer serviceable. Doesn't mean you couldn't DIY, but . . .
Manufacturers and dealers continuing to take away simple tasks from the consumer, forced to "pay" them.
Make it "complicated" for the "average" person to perform, or without special expensive equipments ...
but, we, "some" of us idiots, are to be blamed, we continue to purchase their product without hesitation or objections....

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Manufacturers and dealers continuing to take away simple tasks from the consumer, forced to "pay" them.
Make it "complicated" for the "average" person to perform, or without special expensive equipments ...
but, we, "some" of us idiots, are to be blamed, we continue to purchase their product without hesitation or objections....
Normally I'd agree but I am a lighting geek and have retrofitted numerous headlights, including my 7th gen Accord (even though I was always jealous of @Aviator6 6-6 7th gen). LED headlights are an excellent option for headlights since they are low draw on the electrical system (thus better for mileage by .01 mpg or whatever), have excellent light output if the lens and housing are designed properly and are generally bulletproof since they are mounted on a PCB and aren't depending on a filament or gasses in a glass housing with ballasts or any other accessories. The downside being they are generally not serviceable so the very low failure rates will amount to very high repair bills since the whole housing needs to be replaced.

In this particular area this is not uncommon. Standard halogen bulbs would cost $20 or less, high performance ones $50, HID bulbs were $100+ per bulb for quality bulbs and ballasts were even more. This is the price we pay for having superior lighting technology, and this is an area I'm happy to pay it.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Normally I'd agree but I am a lighting geek and have retrofitted numerous headlights, including my 7th gen Accord (even though I was always jealous of @Aviator6 6-6 7th gen). LED headlights are an excellent option for headlights since they are low draw on the electrical system (thus better for mileage by .01 mpg or whatever), have excellent light output if the lens and housing are designed properly and are generally bulletproof since they are mounted on a PCB and aren't depending on a filament or gasses in a glass housing with ballasts or any other accessories. The downside being they are generally not serviceable so the very low failure rates will amount to very high repair bills since the whole housing needs to be replaced.
Do LED headlights run hot/warm enough to melt any snow or ice that might accumulate on them during winter driving?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
No, but a can of WD 40 or Pam cooking spray is handy for when you are going out into snowy weather. A nice coating on the lens and the snow as it accumulates will slide right off.

WD 40 is great for use in a snow blower as well. A generous squirt of WD 40 on the blades and in the shoot and you will not get a clog even in heavy wet snow.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you’re still within the 3/36 warranty, the headlight repair should be covered.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Do LED headlights run hot/warm enough to melt any snow or ice that might accumulate on them during winter driving?

I haven't seen any technical info from an OEM headlight, but I know many of the aftermarket LED headlights available for 7" round (Wrangler and many classics over the years) have a built in heating element. I would assume they are doing something similar, possibly ducting the air from the cooling fan for the PCB towards the lens.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
No, but a can of WD 40 or Pam cooking spray is handy for when you are going out into snowy weather. A nice coating on the lens and the snow as it accumulates will slide right off.
WD 40 is great for use in a snow blower as well. A generous squirt of WD 40 on the blades and in the shoot and you will not get a clog even in heavy wet snow.
I use silicone spray on the snowblower blades and chute.
Perhaps that would work for LED headlights, as well.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
I use silicone spray on the snowblower blades and chute.
Perhaps that would work for LED headlights, as well.
It does, I know, I tried it and use it. I'm not in heavy snow country but when we get snow it is usually the wet sticky kind and it slides right off.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The same could be said of loads of other automotive components that were advanced by technology. I remember this same complaint being brought up when airbags became standard, for antilock brakes, etc. I'm sure people grumbled when carburetors were no longer the norm. I even remember someone complaining about the cost of rear disc brakes, because they felt that rear drums last forever and work just fine. I had a truck with rear drum brakes -- they do work fine, but disc brakes are a huge improvement.

LED headlights are no exception. They look great, run cool, last forever, and project well. But they're not what people are used to, so here we go again.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L AWD
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The LED is integrated into the projector, so you'd have to replace the entire projector which likely is not meant to be serviceable, so you'd have to bake the headlight to remove the lens. I have a feeling if yours is out you are looking at replacing the housing.

As far as high beam LED replacement bulbs, you can certainly get a high quality bulb (like the Supernova V4) but if you get a cheap Amazon or Ebay bulb you will get a crappy beam pattern.
Hello cintocrunch...the Supernova V4 that you had mentioned for high beam bulb replacement, are they plug-n-play type? No addition hardware needed for them to work on my 2020 EX-L? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Hello cintocrunch...the Supernova V4 that you had mentioned for high beam bulb replacement, are they plug-n-play type? No addition hardware needed for them to work on my 2020 EX-L? Thanks in advance.
Yes, double check your manual but my quick search showed the high beam for a 2020 Pilot EX-L is a 9005, which is available in the SV4.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts