Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2020 Pilot EX-L which to my understanding has LED projector low beam headlights. These are absolutely horrible when it's really pitch black at night and downright dangerous when you mix in rain and or slight fog.

My Subaru Outback has LED projector headlights which are amazing.

I'd love to have something similar in the Pilot but from what I've researched it seems as if you cannot upgrade to a "brighter" bulb. Does anyone know if there are third party LED projector style headlights that I could have installed? I imagine this would be rather costly.

I'd appreciated the input of anyone who has come up with a solution to make night driving safer. Thanks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The headlights on my 2019 EX-L are very good, certainly not unsafe. Also the IIHS rates the 2019 - 2022 EXL headlights as Acceptable. As a comparison, the 2016 - 2018 EXLs with halogen reflectors are rated Poor. Yours is the first complaint I’ve seen on the 2019+ LED projectors. Perhaps the headlights on your Pilot are defective or need alignment.
The LED “bulbs“ are not replaceable. The entire headlight assembly has to be replaced if a headlight fails. I suppose the Touring trim jewel LED headlights, which are rated Good, could possibly be swapped in but it may be more cost effective to trade up to a 2020 Touring trim.

·
Registered
22 Pilot SE, 20 GLE 350, 06 Civic EX
126 Posts
We have a 2020 Pilot EX-L which to my understanding has LED projector low beam headlights. These are absolutely horrible when it's really pitch black at night and downright dangerous when you mix in rain and or slight fog.

I'd love to have something similar in the Pilot but from what I've researched it seems as if you cannot upgrade to a "brighter" bulb. Does anyone know if there are third party LED projector style headlights that I could have installed? I imagine this would be rather costly.

I'd appreciated the input of anyone who has come up with a solution to make night driving safer. Thanks.
Have you tried adjusting them? Sounds like they are out of adjustment and are pointed too low. Have you tried adjusting them up to cast more light down the road?

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
728 Posts
RockAuto has the touring and elite LED headlamps.

Looks like about $900 for the parts, might want to check the usual Honda parts places to see how much more the OEM are.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Circle

I'm pretty sure they are plug and play. I think @Nail Grease has taken his front end apart before and can probably tell you how difficult it would be.

The jewel headlights on my Elite are awesome and I have Lumar Air 80 on the front windshield.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
987 Posts
There is a thread where a member upgraded I think his older halogen projectors and replaced with the all LED from a touring or Elite.

I found on my 19 EX-L with LED projectors that the left headlight was aimed high and the fog lights were very low. I re-aimed per old Hella Headlight aiming instructions. Basically find flat area by a lighter colored wall (like industrial park building) Park about 30-35 feet back, use tape measure at cutoff line at headlight at vehicle (example 33"). Go to wall and mark that same point but subtract 1-2" (31") . That is where the cutoff should be. Works the same for the fog lights. Use paper or something to cover other lights, do just 1 at a time.

All that said, other vehicles have better projectors with more "squirrel spotter" "uplighting". Newer very sharp cutoff lights don't have the scatter ambient flood lighting of older lights. On dark hilly areas it can definitely feel like poor lighting.

Options are to replace the fog lights with something like Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro or Max either yellow or white. You could also add extra ones or rewire what you have to have them come on with parking lights and stay on with high beams.

I always had fogs wired that way and driving lights that would come on with high beams only for increased distance and width. Many options with better LED's these days. Older Halogen and HID's are also good depending on the brand and model.

The Retrofit Source might be able to recommend options for replacing the projectors but probably not cheap.

In 2 older vehicles I installed extra headlights (must be aimed correctly). Think in the fog light spot with a bi-xenon or bi-LED projector. Excellent extra low beam with a kick butt extra high beam. My old Explorer I used Hella H4 4x6" headlights in a snowplow mount on bottom of bumper where factory fogs were. The Hella is nice for the slope cutoff vs. straight stepped version.

·
Registered
320 Posts

Y not go for the HID retrofit? I did it on my 2017 EXL and visibility improves 100% comapre to the OEM junk. I got mine years ago from Xenon depot (I beleive that was the name whcih was also sponsor here back then), did warranty exchange with them 2X and no problem. I thought about LED headlight swap but cost too much $$ plus need to obtain headlight harness that is also extra $$. HID retrofit was the most economic way to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a thread where a member upgraded I think his older halogen projectors and replaced with the all LED from a touring or Elite.

I found on my 19 EX-L with LED projectors that the left headlight was aimed high and the fog lights were very low. I re-aimed per old Hella Headlight aiming instructions. Basically find flat area by a lighter colored wall (like industrial park building) Park about 30-35 feet back, use tape measure at cutoff line at headlight at vehicle (example 33"). Go to wall and mark that same point but subtract 1-2" (31") . That is where the cutoff should be. Works the same for the fog lights. Use paper or something to cover other lights, do just 1 at a time.

All that said, other vehicles have better projectors with more "squirrel spotter" "uplighting". Newer very sharp cutoff lights don't have the scatter ambient flood lighting of older lights. On dark hilly areas it can definitely feel like poor lighting.

Options are to replace the fog lights with something like Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro or Max either yellow or white. You could also add extra ones or rewire what you have to have them come on with parking lights and stay on with high beams.

I always had fogs wired that way and driving lights that would come on with high beams only for increased distance and width. Many options with better LED's these days. Older Halogen and HID's are also good depending on the brand and model.

The Retrofit Source might be able to recommend options for replacing the projectors but probably not cheap.

In 2 older vehicles I installed extra headlights (must be aimed correctly). Think in the fog light spot with a bi-xenon or bi-LED projector. Excellent extra low beam with a kick butt extra high beam. My old Explorer I used Hella H4 4x6" headlights in a snowplow mount on bottom of bumper where factory fogs were. The Hella is nice for the slope cutoff vs. straight stepped version.
Yes I contacted Diode Dynamics as I have their fog lights in my Bronco but was told they don't have a product compatible with 2020 model year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
RockAuto has the touring and elite LED headlamps.

Looks like about $900 for the parts, might want to check the usual Honda parts places to see how much more the OEM are.

View attachment 162299

I'm pretty sure they are plug and play. I think @Nail Grease has taken his front end apart before and can probably tell you how difficult it would be.

The jewel headlights on my Elite are awesome and I have Lumar Air 80 on the front windshield.

Good luck!
This may be a good solution - I didn't realize the higher trims are LED reflector.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Here is a thread from a member who converted halogen low beam projectors to Touring jewels. The halogen projectors are horrible so it makes more sense to do the upgrade. I would find a Touring to test drive at night to see if it’s worth the trouble before spending the $ and effort to upgrade the factory LED projectors.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
987 Posts
Yes I contacted Diode Dynamics as I have their fog lights in my Bronco but was told they don't have a product compatible with 2020 model year.
You would need to look under your bumper or inside fender well liner. I believe they all have the same 3 screws and 1 pin attachment. You would just need to work on the wiring by cut/splice and if you want to rewire so they stay on with high beam.

When I was at dealer they looked up the wiring plug. It was able to be ordered but I don't recall if it was the light side, wire side or both. I was looking at making adapter for mine. Haven't gotten to that project yet.

Check this thread for some details Upgraded 2019 Touring Fogs - Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

I'd have someone check the aim, before doing anything radical. My '20 EX-L has very good low and high beam performance, as compared to the '12 Pilot I had.

Reactions: Eagle275

·
Registered
31 Posts

I'm on the same boat too my 2020 exl headlights are not so great.but I was reading about a lot of the pilots had this trouble and they needed to adjusted lower .and also the ones that have towing people adjusted there headlights up like mine I noticed my headlights are to high and mine have no cut off its just scattered light and fogs are aimed to low on mine also.so I am too having this problem

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Some misinformation in this thread... the original poster's 2020 Pilot EX-L came with LED projector headlights and LED fog lights. It is not possible to retrofit with HID or improved halogen bulbs, the LED projector does not have a "bulb" that can be removed and replaced.

OP - my first suggestion is to follow @sequoiasoon with the aiming procedure he provided. Get the headlights and the fog lights dialed in perfectly. IMO - they rarely are from the factory. As a lighting enthusiast I can tell most newer vehicles are aimed all over the place and not as they should be. I know Honda doesn't allow independent fog lights with the parking lights, so cover the headlights with a piece of construction paper or painters tape while aiming the fogs. I also prefer the "stepped" method for projectors, where the passenger side low side of the cutoff aligns with the high side of the driver side cutoff - this allows a little more light on the side of the road for deer spotting.

My second suggestion if you truly feel these are not adequate is to go with the Touring/Elite style multi-reflector LED setup. Again - proper aiming is top priority.

·
Registered
'22 Pilot Elite, '09 RL RTL, '05 MDX Touring
308 Posts
I noticed my headlights are to high and mine have no cut off its just scattered light...
Your low beam headlights should have a very distinct horizontal cutoff, above which a relatively low amount of light is cast, and below which the full intensity of the light is cast. You don't have this cutoff? It would help if you could take a picture of your headlights casting against a solid wall, similar to this (this is not from a Pilot, but from Proper Headlight Aiming Makes Driving Safer at Night as an example):

Those two "orbs" of light near the center are intentional areas of light above the cutoff that help illuminate reflective signs. The Pilot's projectors have these also and this is intentional glare above the cutoff that is not disabling to other drivers (but can be with HID and LED retrofits into projectors designed for halogen light sources). Aside from the reported poor aim, if the output from your Pilot's projectors does not feature a prominent cutoff like this, then I reckon something's seriously amiss somewhere.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts