Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the “D4” button on the side of the gear shifter is for? I used it once and the acceleration was quick. Is it the “sport” since the pilot doesn’t have “S” on the shifter. Also does it mean that the car goes to 4th gear after pressing the “D4”? If so will it have an negative impact if I press it on lower speeds?

·
Registered
443 Posts
D4 button activates the "Overdrive Lockout" on the transmission. Basically it'll only use gears 1-4, and never go into 5 or 6 which both have a gear ratio of lower than 1:1 (i.e. overdrive). D4 is useful when you are towing, as using the overdrive gears is mildly more taxing on the transmission. This is not an issue under normal conditions, but when the vehicle is heavily loaded it really increases the stress on the transmission and can cook the tranny fluid.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Wonder if Honda failed to explain D4 in the owner's guide......you know, that little blue book, in the glove box, that's still wrapped in cellophane?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
Wonder if Honda failed to explain D4 in the owner's guide......you know, that little blue book, in the glove box, that's still wrapped in cellophane?
Nope...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Damn cellophane.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
Last Honda I bought didn't come with a full owners manual. You have to go online and download it or order for free from Honda

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
284 Posts
Honda knows most people just throw the book away the week after purchasing the vehicle!
I am honestly surprised that the person I bought this 2007 Pilot from not only had the original manual in great condition but also the maintenance book that was initially filled out during the PDI

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I said the Owner's Guide, I did not say the Owner's Manual. There is a big difference.

D4 is discussed on page 107 of the 1/4" thick 2017 Owner's Guide......but you still have to remove the cellophane and open the little blue book to learn something about the Rigi.

Throw the guide away?......I wouldn't say most people, most people don't have a clue what/where it is and if they do know, they are too lazy to throw it away, but for those that do know what/where it is and leave it wrapped in cellophane........can't fix stupid.🤦‍♂️

·
Administrator
4,872 Posts
Even if they read the manual, how many owners ever get to page 534?
But if you go to page 731 they have this thing called an Index. It lists all kinds of things, Alphabetically, that you might have a question about, like a gear shifter, or what fluids to use, and all kinds of other cool stuff and it even give you the page number that corresponds to whatever you are trying to find out about. That way you can look up what you want without having to read the whole thing at once.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
Does anyone know what the “D4” button on the side of the gear shifter is for? I used it once and the acceleration was quick. Is it the “sport” since the pilot doesn’t have “S” on the shifter. Also does it mean that the car goes to 4th gear after pressing the “D4”? If so will it have an negative impact if I press it on lower speeds?
I found the OP kind of comical, just a little bit.
Not trying to 'diss' on the newer guile with a ? though.

What's the D4 button on the shifter for?
It reminds me off that MIB and 'the little red button'

Reactions: PLT383

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
But if you go to page 731 they have this thing called an Index. It lists all kinds of things, Alphabetically, that you might have a question about, like a gear shifter, or what fluids to use, and all kinds of other cool stuff and it even give you the page number that corresponds to whatever you are trying to find out about. That way you can look up what you want without having to read the whole thing at once.
Ever wondered why the index isn't placed at the beginning of the manual?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Might not want to push any button, prior to removing the cellophane from the Owner’s GUIDE, and reading what a button does when pushed.

·
Administrator
4,872 Posts
Ever wondered why the index isn't placed at the beginning of the manual?
Nope. The table of contents is at the beginning of the manual. The index is for those to lazy to use the table of contents to find the general section.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts