Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a panicked call from my wife that our 2020 Honda pilot was completely dead. No electrical whatsoever. Try to jump it but....nothing.

Couldn’t even lock the doors without doing it manually.

Currently waiting on a tow to the dealership but curious what it could be. Doesn’t sound like a battery/alternator. A fuse perhaps or something with the antitheft?

If anyone has experienced something similar or right now I’d appreciate hearing about it.

😁

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
First guess based on a similar experience, main computer is dead. Mine died mid drive. Vehicle just shut down and it coasted to a stop.. Nothing and I mean nothing that required any electricity did anything. My mechanic replaced the computer, the vehicle was out of warranty, but the computer was not, and it was good as new again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any backstory to what might have led up to the problem? If not
I'm going with forgot to turn it off. gas ran out then battery died.
Or antitheft
No back story. Parked it after driving a short distance. When attempting to enter the next day the FOB didn’t open the door. After using a manual key realized that all electrical was dead. Couldn’t even use the electric door lock.

Wasn’t left running, isn’t the battery as a jump didn’t do anything. I wondered about anti theft malfunction maybe disabling however someone else suggested main computer failure. Tow is on the way. 👍

·
Registered
526 Posts
New age: Spend $30k to $40K on a vehicle, but have to worry every morning if it will start, so that you can make it to work to pay for the crap.
or if it will die at 70 MPH in the middle of highway traffic.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Keep us updated on what the dealer finds.

Reactions: ls973800

·
Registered
885 Posts
My guess is a bad ground or positive connection at or from the battery, if not a completely dead battery.

What year and model was the one that had to have the dead computer replaced, Daltongang? A 3rd generation Pilot?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First guess based on a similar experience, main computer is dead. Mine died mid drive. Vehicle just shut down and it coasted to a stop.. Nothing and I mean nothing that required any electricity did anything. My mechanic replaced the computer, the vehicle was out of warranty, but the computer was not, and it was good as new again.
Fingers crossed that it’s something easily fixed. Disappointing to have issues so soon. Only 5,000 KM on the car.

Being towed to the dealer this AM 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: Dead Battery. Not sure if it was left in accessory mode for a couple of days or if something else was the culprit. Tow truck driver had a heck of a time getting a charge in the battery due to difficulty getting a good connection on the ground as someone mentioned above which I assume was my issue as well. He actually ended up hooking up his battery plus the booster to get my pilot to turn over. Took it to the dealer and they hooked it up to a tester and said it was fine.

Bit of egg on my face that it was something so simple but I feel a bit better that the tow truck driver struggled to jump it as well. Will be extra cautious to make sure it's properly turned off from now on. ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
According to the Owners Manual, the vehicle turns OFF after 20 or 30 mins if the vehicle is left in ACC mode with transmission in Park to prevent discharging the battery. Also the battery management system is supposed to protect battery from completely discharging In case interior lights are left on. Not sure what happens if the vehicle is left in the ON state with the engine not running.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Remember seeing someone had a bad battery early on in a new Pilot. Anything is possible these days. Good to hear your car is working well.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It could be that it was sitting on the dealer lot for a long time. Under the passenger floor mat there is a door that says frame number. In there it will tell you when it was made. When was your car made and when did you purchase it?

·
Registered
885 Posts
It could be that it was sitting on the dealer lot for a long time. Under the passenger floor mat there is a door that says frame number. In there it will tell you when it was made. When was your car made and when did you purchase it?
No need to remove that panel covering the frame number. Just look on the door post after opening the driver's side door. You will see a label with where it was built, the month and year of manufacture, vehicle weights front/rear/total weight, VIN, original factory tire and rim size, and paint code for the body color. I think one code is also for the interior color. There is also a label above and to the left of this one with all of the tire specs and tire pressure specs.

Car Vehicle Vehicle door Lexus

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX AWD
8 Posts
I am not sure if it applies to your particular situation, but I have noted that Honda puts really cheap batteries into their vehicles. My wife’s accord needed a jump when it was a little over a year old and she had just been sitting in it listening to music while waiting for my daughter for about 10 minutes. The battery died completely at about 34,000 miles.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I am not sure if it applies to your particular situation, but I have noted that Honda puts really cheap batteries into their vehicles. My wife’s accord needed a jump when it was a little over a year old and she had just been sitting in it listening to music while waiting for my daughter for about 10 minutes. The battery died completely at about 34,000 miles.
But this person has a 2020 car. The only reason the battery would go bad is if the car was on without the engine or if it was sitting on the dealer lot for a long time.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
UPDATE: Dead Battery. Not sure if it was left in accessory mode for a couple of days or if something else was the culprit. Tow truck driver had a heck of a time getting a charge in the battery due to difficulty getting a good connection on the ground as someone mentioned above which I assume was my issue as well. He actually ended up hooking up his battery plus the booster to get my pilot to turn over. Took it to the dealer and they hooked it up to a tester and said it was fine.

Bit of egg on my face that it was something so simple but I feel a bit better that the tow truck driver struggled to jump it as well. Will be extra cautious to make sure it's properly turned off from now on. ;)
Sounds like you could use a nice long drive at highway speeds. At least an hour. Take a nice drive this weekend to put juice back into the batter and allow it to get back to proper performance condition. Especially if you have a Touring or Elite model.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts