Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
My wife made the plunge and bought the 2020 Pilot Black Edition. It seems to have every bell and whistle known and that is why I am coming to the forum. My big concern, that my dealer can't help me with, is how to connect to the cars internet. Supposedly, you are able to access the internet anytime/anywhere and when we try to connect to it, it ask for a password. No-one can seem to tell me what the password is. The dealer, the owners manual, etc... Any ideas on where to go to get such password? Finally, I was also told that you could buy a T-mobile OBDI II port plug for around $20 a month and receive unlimited internet that way. Any information/guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I believe you can sign up on this site (this site meaning the Honda/AT&T site linked below) and get a free trial period. You may have to set up a password which would then work for your home internet when in range also. I was able to get a 90 day 3gb free trial but had a heck of a time getting registered for it. Had to get both Honda of America tech service and AT&T techs involved. Finally got it set up after about 3 weeks and then never even connected using it

AT&T Honda Connected Car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you can sign up on this site (this site meaning the Honda/AT&T site linked below) and get a free trial period. You may have to set up a password which would then work for your home internet when in range also. I was able to get a 90 day 3gb free trial but had a heck of a time getting registered for it. Had to get both Honda of America tech service and AT&T techs involved. Finally got it set up after about 3 weeks and then never even connected using it

AT&T Honda Connected Car
Yea, I have the 3 month trial, but nobody seems to know about the password. Crazy and I just got off the phone with a Honda Link tech who didn't know as well.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yea, I have the 3 month trial, but nobody seems to know about the password. Crazy and I just got off the phone with a Honda Link tech who didn't know as well.
Like I said, it took them over 3 weeks going between Honda and AT&T to get me set up! The tech from AT&T was the one who set up a password for me, so you may have to have Honda get you in touch with the AT&T tech department like they did for me. Good luck, I was extremely frustrated with the whole ordeal and the lack of knowledge basically on both Honda and AT&T's part.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you referring to the wifi password that is needed when you connect to the hotspot? Not at the car at the moment so going from memory, but if you select the ATT hotspot app from the Car's infotainment, the wifi password is displayed on the screen (bottom left corner i think) Both the wifi hotspot name (SSID) and the password can be changed via that app.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congrats on your black edition. I pulled trigger on one as well as they are sharp! Also I believe you can tether your wifi to the car to share if want to go that route. Only had mine a few days and having internet wasn’t high on the priority of getting it setup, been playing with all the other bells and whistles.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
Is the black edition the upper scale version of Honda's SE trim that they do the last year before a major refresh?
Also how do you justify spending that much money on a Honda? Is it much better than the MDX?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Jack Vogt: the Pilot has a few things that the MDX didn’t get: the panoramic sunroof, larger cargo capacity, rustproof fender lips, down-sloped seam between fender and bumper to keep water from sitting and causing rust, LED brake lights and more... the MDX is otherwise exactly the same vehicle except for some aesthetic factors. And yes, they are both Honda vehicles.

One point I’d also like to make about the black edition, is they put black vinyl tape over the chrome trim. This was on my Acura TL also, and over the years I owned it, the black vinyl tape started to shrink and peel. That, and the $3,000 premium for other blacked out trim and red interior lighting turned me off the black edition, and I got a Saphire Blue 7 seater Touring model instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you referring to the wifi password that is needed when you connect to the hotspot? Not at the car at the moment so going from memory, but if you select the ATT hotspot app from the Car's infotainment, the wifi password is displayed on the screen (bottom left corner i think) Both the wifi hotspot name (SSID) and the password can be changed via that app.
I am not sure about it all as we are still trying to figure everything out. I just remember the dealer stating that we had internet, so if we were on the road we could connect our laptop or tablets for the kids. When I try to connect using my phone, it finds the cars wifi and then ask for a password to connect. No-one, even the dealer does not know what it is or how to find it. I have contacted Honda Link and they don't know either. I have heard T-mobile and At&t have small hotspot units to plug into your car and then everyone can use it that way, but I just want to find out the real answers to all this. Thanks for the input and we do like the car a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update to my current situation. I talked with T-Mobile today and they definately have what I need. It is called a Sync Up drive and is plugged into the ODII port of your car. It runs roughly $13-18 dollars, and also comes with a road side assitance and location GPS for finding your car. It is supposedly unlimited access, so it should work for when we are on the road for the boys to watch youtube or anything else on their tablets or laptop.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
Update to my current situation. I talked with T-Mobile today and they definately have what I need. It is called a Sync Up drive and is plugged into the ODII port of your car. It runs roughly $13-18 dollars, and also comes with a road side assitance and location GPS for finding your car. It is supposedly unlimited access, so it should work for when we are on the road for the boys to watch youtube or anything else on their tablets or laptop.
I thought AT&T hotspot capability was already built in to the car. I am familiar with the T-Mobile thing and I could put that in my 2008 Pilot if I wanted. They are 2 separate things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am not sure about it all as we are still trying to figure everything out. I just remember the dealer stating that we had internet, so if we were on the road we could connect our laptop or tablets for the kids. When I try to connect using my phone, it finds the cars wifi and then ask for a password to connect. No-one, even the dealer does not know what it is or how to find it. I have contacted Honda Link and they don't know either. I have heard T-mobile and At&t have small hotspot units to plug into your car and then everyone can use it that way, but I just want to find out the real answers to all this. Thanks for the input and we do like the car a lot.
From your description, the password I indicated is what you are looking for. Here is a video tutorial and 0:16 has the screen with the password at the bottom. Link to youtube You will likely need to check this on your own vehicle as I think the passwords are uniquely generated.

The built in ATT hotspot has been very nice for our family, it is unlimited and my kids stream netflix, youtube, etc. to their tablets or an android tv device I hooked to the rear screen.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello everyone,
My wife made the plunge and bought the 2020 Pilot Black Edition. It seems to have every bell and whistle known and that is why I am coming to the forum. My big concern, that my dealer can't help me with, is how to connect to the cars internet. Supposedly, you are able to access the internet anytime/anywhere and when we try to connect to it, it ask for a password. No-one can seem to tell me what the password is. The dealer, the owners manual, etc... Any ideas on where to go to get such password? Finally, I was also told that you could buy a T-mobile OBDI II port plug for around $20 a month and receive unlimited internet that way. Any information/guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Tell them you're going to pursue the lemon law and return the vehicle. They already have 2 strikes, 4 they're out. Watch how fast they get that thing working. Honda now doesn't know how their own cars operate. Unfkin believable!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the SyncUP, you only get 2gb or 6gb. It’s nice that it notifies you when the vehicle is started and has the GPS feature. If you have teenagers the device is great with a geo fence and notifies you when the vehicle goes over a a speed you request notifications on. But if Honda has a deal with ATT you might want to check that before adding the SyncUP. The 2/6gb is including all the notifications you get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have tmobile most of their plans offer unlimited internet tethering via your phone ( I believe 10gb/month at 4G speeds, then reduced speeds thereafter). As long as you phone has that capability, you shouldn't need to pay additional for a device unless roadside assistance and location GPS is what you need.

Just offering a suggestion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jack Vogt: the Pilot has a few things that the MDX didn’t get: the panoramic sunroof, larger cargo capacity, rustproof fender lips, down-sloped seam between fender and bumper to keep water from sitting and causing rust, LED brake lights and more... the MDX is otherwise exactly the same vehicle except for some aesthetic factors. And yes, they are both Honda vehicles.

One point I’d also like to make about the black edition, is they put black vinyl tape over the chrome trim. This was on my Acura TL also, and over the years I owned it, the black vinyl tape started to shrink and peel. That, and the $3,000 premium for other blacked out trim and red interior lighting turned me off the black edition, and I got a Saphire Blue 7 seater Touring model instead.
I would also think higher insurance premium and I beleive the MDX only takes premium gas

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just happened to switch from AT&T over to T-Mobile yesterday. The Sync Up device is a monthly fee starting at $10.00 if I recall, it is not a one and done fee. I have the Magenta Plus plan which provides unlimited data. For Hotspot use, my first 20 Gigs would be delivered at 4LTE, and than I get unlimited hotspot data gigs at 3G speed, all included with the plan. But I would have to pay the $10.00 a month for the Sync Up device. No sense in doing that, I will just use my phone or my wife's phone as the free hotspot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just happened to switch from AT&T over to T-Mobile yesterday. The Sync Up device is a monthly fee starting at $10.00 if I recall, it is not a one and done fee. I have the Magenta Plus plan which provides unlimited data. For Hotspot use, my first 20 Gigs would be delivered at 4LTE, and than I get unlimited hotspot data gigs at 3G speed, all included with the plan. But I would have to pay the $10.00 a month for the Sync Up device. No sense in doing that, I will just use my phone or my wife's phone as the free hotspot.
Yea I don’t get why they do that. I mean what is likely good you will be in car and won’t have your phone. I originally hoped it would just piggy back off a phone hotspot and not be an add on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would also think higher insurance premium and I beleive the MDX only takes premium gas
The insurance premium I can’t tell you about, but the premium gas is only required for peak performance. Without it, the ECU sets ignition timing to be less advanced (based on a closed feedback loop using the knock sensors) and may run the fuel mixture a little richer. The upshot is lower fuel efficiency and less power to the wheels. Conversely, running premium gas in the Pilot, (which is exactly the same vehicle with different trim and rear cargo capacity) will give you the better performance and fuel efficiency that the MDX is capable of.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts