Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my Pilot this week. Wondering if anyone has a 2020 Pilot with Thule square bars. Thule website says they have a compatible option for a plain roof and with factor installed rails. However comments make it it seem like that's not true for Thule square bars. So I thought I would check here to see if someone can confirm they have that setup.
Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Does your Pilot have the factrory roof rails on it? If you do, then you need a kit similar to this one for the 2011 Pilot that has a means to attach to the rails:

If not, then you need a kit like this that has the flat-roof foot pack (that dents and scratches up your roof, and your gutters):

Also, IMO, the square bars are not a great option for permanent or extended use. They are very noisy as they are not aerodynamic, and they corrode pretty badly in winter. If you are hooked on Thule, then I would go with their aerobars, but given the cost of those, I would just go with the factory bars (which I did myself).

Here's all your Thule options for the Pilot (square vs aero-blade bars; flat roof vs factory rails):

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
523 Posts
what trim level Pilot? Touring, Elite, Black Edition, Special Edition all have factory side rails but not with openings that would accept the crossroads shown. They all have fixed mounting points that the crossbars screw into them.

A couple members have Thule and Yakima but they also wanted different spacing option AND bars that hang over some to tie to on the outside. The factory bars have no where to attach a rope or other on outside edge to secure a load.

Search on Thule, roof rack etc and you'll get a bunch of hits including the "base carrier" like I did. Factory bars, no side rails, much cheaper option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. The issue with the 2020 Pilot for me are the side rails are now flush with the roof. The video that was posted is exactly what I want, then my existing Thule rack would fit. I've got a message in to Honda to see if its possible to add the Passport rails to the Pilot. I have years worth of racks that I have picked up that only fit the Thule square bar which is why I would like to stay with those bars.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
523 Posts
I've got a message in to Honda to see if its possible to add the Passport rails to the Pilot.
Where is that "don't hold your breath" emoji? Many are interested. Some asked dealers. Nobody wanted to spend the $$ as the guinea pig. Others were told that the base rack carrier (like mine) won't fit 2016-2018 even though the rail part #'s are the exact same if you were to order factory flush rails for a 2016 or a 2019. I think somebody actually tried it and yup it fit.If you find a wrecked Passport you might get a discount to see if it matches up once you pull your rails off.

A good metal fabricator / customizer with time and $$ incentive could get many versions to fit. Most of us don't have that. There are 4 studs in the roof on each side (2 front / 2 back) that the Base Carrier attaches to. 2 more attachment points up front if you get the rails. I don't recall toward the back. College Hills and Bernardi have the instructions for download on how the factory flush rails (ans base carrier) attached so you can see what is involved. Maybe you could find pictures of how the Passport rails attach and what might be needed.

When I was searching for a factory CRV rack, on line a guy listed "cheap" DIY rack. He used aluminum stock, drilled holes that matched factory points (6 per side with 7mm socket head screws) and made side rails that he then attached cross bars to. Worked for him, aluminum was from an industrial building entrance door and was solid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As expected Honda said, No the passport rails won't work on the Pilot. I was also able to look at the Thule feet for the Pilot with flush rails. Sure enough the reviews were correct, they are not compatible with the older square bars. What I've also found out is that I can't find a complete rack setup because everyone is out of stock (Thule & Yakima).
Now I'm looking into the Honda Crossbars, since those are available. How compatible are those with the Thule and Yakima Space Booster boxes and bike racks?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Now I'm looking into the Honda Crossbars, since those are available. How compatible are those with the Thule and Yakima Space Booster boxes and bike racks?
They should work fine. I use my Yakima box in OEM crossbars. Same shape roughly as Yakima/Thule aero bars. Just not as wide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your replies. The issue with the 2020 Pilot for me are the side rails are now flush with the roof. The video that was posted is exactly what I want, then my existing Thule rack would fit. I've got a message in to Honda to see if its possible to add the Passport rails to the Pilot. I have years worth of racks that I have picked up that only fit the Thule square bar which is why I would like to stay with those bars.
This is exactly what I am researching.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts