Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2020 Honda Pilot Touring maintenance quote

747 5
I took my wife’s 2020 Pilot Touring in for the crackling noise they the speakers and they went over the vehicle front to back. The service advisor hit me with a type 3 trans service and 30,000 mile service and fuel system service for a total of $949.06. The type 3 trans service shows a transmission fluid warmer in the description of service recommendation. According to Honda I shouldn’t be due for a trans service until 60k miles since I have the 9 speed transmission. The advisor told me we have probably noticed a slip in the trans or rough shifting which we haven’t. We always fuel up at gas stations that have a high fuel turnover and I also used some type of fuel injector. I haven’t noticed any drop off in mileage and runs as good as it did the day we bought it. Pretty sure he was giving me the run around. What’s your thoughts?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
I'd be very interested in having them explain what a "transmission fluid warmer" is. Transmissions have transmission fluid coolers, but I've never heard of a "warmer". Sounds like a scam to me. Fuel system service is probably nothing more than a bottle of Techron in the gas tank. Don't let them take you for a ride saying that they'll replace the fuel filter as part of the fuel system service, most cars haven't had serviceable fuel filters for a long while, but the grifters still try to fool people into paying for the service.

· Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called him out the last time I took it in for a battery covered under warranty. He tried to get me to service the trans at 30k for around $700. I made him tell me that I had the 9 speed and told him it doesn’t call for it to be serviced till 60k. He changed his tune somewhat but still recommended servicing it. I declined. I’ve read about the valvokine maxlife. Without stirring the pot too much what’s the consensus? I would be doing it my self probably a little before 60k miles.

· Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,383 Posts
Many dealers will try to upsell "recommended" service above and beyond Honda's Service intervals based on the MM. Does it hurt the vehicle? No. Does it help extend the life of the vehicle? Possibly minimally. Does it hurt your wallet? Yes.

If it were me, I would ask WHO recommends the service they want to sell you, them or Honda? If they say Honda ask the to show it to you in writing as it is not in the owners manual. If they say them ask them if they are Honda Engineers and why they think Honda, the manufacturer, got it wrong.

Then have a nice drive to another dealer or trusted mechanic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts