Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased a 2020 honda pilot black edition. After a couple of weeks, we noticed random occurrences of cracking and popping coming from the dashboard. As a few more weeks went by the noise began to increase in frequency, duration, and intensity.
Finally, the problem became constant and more severe. The touch screen began to blackout, and the instrument display also went black while driving, creating a serious safety hazard. The system would sometimes read "network communication lost".
Sometimes the system would try repeatedly to reboot itself but never would come back online.
We took the vehicle back to the dealership where we purchased it from, (name of the dealership in Cincinnati Ohio to follow pending resolution of problem).
Later that evening I received a text message, :\" hello, it's --- from -------- Honda. this is my cell phone so you can text me the videos, (I was asked by the dealership when I called to report the issue, to record video of what was happening) whenever you can thank you.
Naturally, I text them the videos. The next text came at 4:57 PM the same day.
The text read, "hello again, my tech went back and forth with Honda tech line(Honda engineers) today and gave them all the details and symptoms and collectively
they came to the conclusion that we have to replace the front engine wiring harness. We ordered it and it will be here tomorrow but it does include removing dashboard components...my tech that is working on it is a 25+ year honda master tech so the vehicle is in wonderful hands but it will take a couple of days".
My response to this news was;
"I just want to have a text thread referencing the conversation that we had, I DO NOT WISH TO HAVE THE CAR REPAIRED until some sort of resolution has been presented by your management".

See my thought is this If your "master tech of 25 years hasn't heard about this particular issue (which seems rampant not just with our 20202 pilot but others as well,
not to mention the other Honda models that we discovered were experiencing the same failure, oh, and by the way, we simply typed crackling and popping noise in 2020 honda pilot and several websites popped up, pretty easy to discover and I have never worked as a master tech for Honda, Maby I should apply? did I miss my calling?) how can I find information so easily when after asking if there is a specific issue with this vehicle I was told: "not that they were aware of". suspicious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
contined...
The next day I spoke with the service manager who gave me his pep talk, I told him I would not accept the dash being removed on a vehicle that, after add ons, was 55k without them standing behind the repair by issuing a complimnetary
extended warranty. Afterall if your confidence in your team and your diagnosis, shouldn't you stand behind it?
Your devaluing the vehicle by tearing it apart the least you could do is to warranty the vehicle beyond the manufacturer
specified date/mileage. we have put 3,000 total miles on the vehicle at the time of the occurrence.
I was told we would hear back by the end of the week, the first part of next week but that the vehicle "HAD" to be repaired regardless.
We are extremely unsatisfied with the dealership, as well as, with our purchase. While waiting for resolution to the problem, we are considering taking legal action against the dealership to force them to reclaim this lemon.
Additionally, I would certainly entertain signing on class-action Litigation. I feel dupped...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
contined...
The next day I spoke with the service manager who gave me his pep talk, I told him I would not accept the dash being removed on a vehicle that, after add ons, was 55k without them standing behind the repair by issuing a complimnetary
extended warranty. Afterall if your confidence in your team and your diagnosis, shouldn't you stand behind it?
Your devaluing the vehicle by tearing it apart the least you could do is to warranty the vehicle beyond the manufacturer
specified date/mileage. we have put 3,000 total miles on the vehicle at the time of the occurrence.
I was told we would hear back by the end of the week, the first part of next week but that the vehicle "HAD" to be repaired regardless.
We are extremely unsatisfied with the dealership, as well as, with our purchase. While waiting for resolution to the problem, we are considering taking legal action against the dealership to force them to reclaim this lemon.
Additionally, I would certainly entertain signing on class-action Litigation. I feel dupped

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly, we had a long relationship with the infinity brand (four vehicles in total) we never had an issue.
I am extremely disappointed in the level of professionalism from the dealership and the quality of the Honda brand.
We regret leaving infinity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You aren't alone. Mine has been at the dealership for two weeks, fourth time it's been back.

Read here:

Just had our car returned, for this reason, the problem will grow in frequency and intensity. ultimately, the touch screen and the instrument cluster will go blank. the repair consisted of them removing the dash?!!!!! and putting a new electrical harness in. 3,000 miles on the car! I am completely disgusted with our purchase, Honda and the dealership that sold us this lemon. I am currently seeking legal recourse which will be directed towards honda and the dealership. I may not have a case, but I am certainly going to pursue every option that I do have before I unload this car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I know we have to just accept the situation. It is, however, extremely frustrating and makes us regret the decision, not to buy another luxury automobile in an attempt to save.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: We had the wiring harness replaced in our 2020 Honda pilot/black edition. I am happy to report that the issue of the crackling in the speakers has been resolved (or, at least, so far). We have been driving it now for a couple of weeks and no additional issues with the noise. Additionally, we were able to get the dealership to work alongside Honda to offer us a complimentary 5year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, (no deductible) for the inconvenience.
They are trying to restore dealership, brand confidence with us. I am thankful as some of the stories are far less agreeable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
We had the original repair completed, which did not last, We believe it was a temporary fix while they figured out the issue themselves. Next, they replaced the harness, which has worked until now. Recently, there is a random crackle
working its way back into the speakers. Again I say I regret buying a Honda, we have put 25k on this 2020 and are going to tAke A Terrible beating if we try to sell, believe me, we tried. The only saving grace is that we raised such a ruckus that we were given a 100k full bumper to bumper warrant by Honda on this car. Let em keep fixing the same issue, we will keep posting as necessary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yes,while it's random, mostly when the car radio is turned off or on, I am hearing the sound once again.
I have not taken the car back to the dealership yet as it's a huge inconvenience and I am waiting until the sounds get
closer together and more prolonged before I do. This will be the third repair for the exact same issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I agree, the liability does not fall on the service manager. He is just some individual who has the unfortunate job of telling all of the people who are experiencing this issue that the dealership will take care of it. Over, and over, and over.
Honda deserves the full credit for putting a poorly made vehicle on the market for consumers to purchase. While the removal of the dash, repeatedly, has yet to cause damage, many times before damage does occur?
Either way, I'm glad this platform exists so that potential buyers of an inferior product can see these interactions.
As for any future class action movement, I'm taking the wait and see" approach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.