Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased a 2020 honda pilot black edition. After a couple of weeks, we noticed random occurrences of cracking and popping coming from the dashboard. As a few more weeks went by the noise began to increase in frequency, duration, and intensity.
Finally, the problem became constant and more severe. The touch screen began to blackout, and the instrument display also went black while driving, creating a serious safety hazard. The system would sometimes read "network communication lost".
Sometimes the system would try repeatedly to reboot itself but never would come back online.
We took the vehicle back to the dealership where we purchased it from, (name of the dealership in Cincinnati Ohio to follow pending resolution of problem).
Later that evening I received a text message, :\" hello, it's --- from -------- Honda. this is my cell phone so you can text me the videos, (I was asked by the dealership when I called to report the issue, to record video of what was happening) whenever you can thank you.
Naturally, I text them the videos. The next text came at 4:57 PM the same day.
The text read, "hello again, my tech went back and forth with Honda tech line(Honda engineers) today and gave them all the details and symptoms and collectively
they came to the conclusion that we have to replace the front engine wiring harness. We ordered it and it will be here tomorrow but it does include removing dashboard components...my tech that is working on it is a 25+ year honda master tech so the vehicle is in wonderful hands but it will take a couple of days".
My response to this news was;
"I just want to have a text thread referencing the conversation that we had, I DO NOT WISH TO HAVE THE CAR REPAIRED until some sort of resolution has been presented by your management".

See my thought is this If your "master tech of 25 years hasn't heard about this particular issue (which seems rampant not just with our 20202 pilot but others as well,
not to mention the other Honda models that we discovered were experiencing the same failure, oh, and by the way, we simply typed crackling and popping noise in 2020 honda pilot and several websites popped up, pretty easy to discover and I have never worked as a master tech for Honda, Maby I should apply? did I miss my calling?) how can I find information so easily when after asking if there is a specific issue with this vehicle I was told: "not that they were aware of". suspicious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
contined...
The next day I spoke with the service manager who gave me his pep talk, I told him I would not accept the dash being removed on a vehicle that, after add ons, was 55k without them standing behind the repair by issuing a complimnetary
extended warranty. Afterall if your confidence in your team and your diagnosis, shouldn't you stand behind it?
Your devaluing the vehicle by tearing it apart the least you could do is to warranty the vehicle beyond the manufacturer
specified date/mileage. we have put 3,000 total miles on the vehicle at the time of the occurrence.
I was told we would hear back by the end of the week, the first part of next week but that the vehicle "HAD" to be repaired regardless.
We are extremely unsatisfied with the dealership, as well as, with our purchase. While waiting for resolution to the problem, we are considering taking legal action against the dealership to force them to reclaim this lemon.
Additionally, I would certainly entertain signing on class-action Litigation. I feel dupped...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dealers will never tell you of known warranty issues when you ask them. I came to this site for that reason 3 months ago because I was thinking of purchasing a new touring 8p. So when I went to my local Honda dealer and was well aware by then of the 9 speed transmission problems that were supposedly fixed for the 2019 model year. However online many 2019 owners have experienced troubles with this tranny. So after taking a 2020 8p for a test drive I sat down and asked the salesman and he categorically denied there were any problems ever with the 9 speed. There is no way they will admit this knowing it'll affect their paycheck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
contined...
The next day I spoke with the service manager who gave me his pep talk, I told him I would not accept the dash being removed on a vehicle that, after add ons, was 55k without them standing behind the repair by issuing a complimnetary
extended warranty. Afterall if your confidence in your team and your diagnosis, shouldn't you stand behind it?
Your devaluing the vehicle by tearing it apart the least you could do is to warranty the vehicle beyond the manufacturer
specified date/mileage. we have put 3,000 total miles on the vehicle at the time of the occurrence.
I was told we would hear back by the end of the week, the first part of next week but that the vehicle "HAD" to be repaired regardless.
We are extremely unsatisfied with the dealership, as well as, with our purchase. While waiting for resolution to the problem, we are considering taking legal action against the dealership to force them to reclaim this lemon.
Additionally, I would certainly entertain signing on class-action Litigation. I feel dupped

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly, we had a long relationship with the infinity brand (four vehicles in total) we never had an issue.
I am extremely disappointed in the level of professionalism from the dealership and the quality of the Honda brand.
We regret leaving infinity.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
You aren't alone. Mine has been at the dealership for two weeks, fourth time it's been back.

Read here:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You aren't alone. Mine has been at the dealership for two weeks, fourth time it's been back.

Read here:

Just had our car returned, for this reason, the problem will grow in frequency and intensity. ultimately, the touch screen and the instrument cluster will go blank. the repair consisted of them removing the dash?!!!!! and putting a new electrical harness in. 3,000 miles on the car! I am completely disgusted with our purchase, Honda and the dealership that sold us this lemon. I am currently seeking legal recourse which will be directed towards honda and the dealership. I may not have a case, but I am certainly going to pursue every option that I do have before I unload this car.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Others are reporting that once the harness is replaced, the problems cease. The challenge is getting Honda to agree to the harness replacement.

I'm under 5K miles and problem has been ongoing practically from the beginning.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
You are a long way from it being a lemon case. I think legal action at this point will not be in your favor. You have only put 3,000 miles on the car and there has only been 1 attempt at fixing it. I can kind of understand how it would feel different knowing they took the car apart but oh well. I hope you find a resolution but don't hold your breath that legal action will result in anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I know we have to just accept the situation. It is, however, extremely frustrating and makes us regret the decision, not to buy another luxury automobile in an attempt to save.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: We had the wiring harness replaced in our 2020 Honda pilot/black edition. I am happy to report that the issue of the crackling in the speakers has been resolved (or, at least, so far). We have been driving it now for a couple of weeks and no additional issues with the noise. Additionally, we were able to get the dealership to work alongside Honda to offer us a complimentary 5year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, (no deductible) for the inconvenience.
They are trying to restore dealership, brand confidence with us. I am thankful as some of the stories are far less agreeable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
700 miles of brand new pilot, screen goes blank and crackling starts and so does nightmare of getting it fixed. Last Honda vehicle ever once I get out of lease.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well team new Pilot you are in for a fun ride- the cracking in the front dash they have no idea how to fix this situation - I have a 19 pilot touring that we have owned for 18 months with only 11,500 miles on it. Well the head unit cracking has occurred 2 times and the car was out of service for about 5 weeks/ they have no idea on how to fix - there is a lawsuit (just google it) against Honda for this event. Pumped you got a 5 year warrantee out of your issues I will work towards that as being an option. Coming from an 11 crv that spent a total of 3 days getting general maintenance this is a real drag.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I've had my '19 Elite back four days since the Honda engineer finished with it - replaced the amplifier and the harness connector for the amplifier. This was after the dealer replaced a ton of stuff on the four previous service visits. So far so good, but not optimistic at all whatsoever. I'll get excited if it makes it a year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
45k msrp for the touring - I bought my first 00Honda (Acura) gs-r for 22k - no issues - the 03 civic and 00 Accord my parents drove - the 11 cr-v we replaced with this pilot all no issues. 18 months with this pilot it spent close to a month at the Honda dealer because of an electric issue. Car got hit in a parking lot a month ago - rear damage to the hatch - nothing major - but car wouldn’t turn over- dealer had no idea why this would be the case / they had car for 3 days figuring it out and said it was because of the wires under the hatch that control the hands free trunk- then said it was a fuse. Net net they don’t have an idea what the issue is at the dealer level

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
Wiring harnesses are one of this first things to be installed during production once a car leaves the paint shop.
Sounds to me (please post your video) like Honda has figured out both the issue and the solution. Dash removal is time consuming and detailed. Had to have it done on one (euro import) car and it came back perfect.

On another brand, I issued a lemon law letter on an expensive European import but made a point of reaching out to the dealer’s service manager who I’d been working with. I explained that I recognized that my beef was with the Brand not the dealer. Once he realized I meant it we became the best of friends and my being there was always welcomed.
Dont be the guy who rants and raves at the problem solver. Be part of the solution so they go the extra mile for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We recently purchased a 2020 honda pilot black edition. After a couple of weeks, we noticed random occurrences of cracking and popping coming from the dashboard. As a few more weeks went by the noise began to increase in frequency, duration, and intensity.
Finally, the problem became constant and more severe. The touch screen began to blackout, and the instrument display also went black while driving, creating a serious safety hazard. The system would sometimes read "network communication lost".
Sometimes the system would try repeatedly to reboot itself but never would come back online.
We took the vehicle back to the dealership where we purchased it from, (name of the dealership in Cincinnati Ohio to follow pending resolution of problem).
Later that evening I received a text message, :\" hello, it's --- from -------- Honda. this is my cell phone so you can text me the videos, (I was asked by the dealership when I called to report the issue, to record video of what was happening) whenever you can thank you.
Naturally, I text them the videos. The next text came at 4:57 PM the same day.
The text read, "hello again, my tech went back and forth with Honda tech line(Honda engineers) today and gave them all the details and symptoms and collectively
they came to the conclusion that we have to replace the front engine wiring harness. We ordered it and it will be here tomorrow but it does include removing dashboard components...my tech that is working on it is a 25+ year honda master tech so the vehicle is in wonderful hands but it will take a couple of days".
My response to this news was;
"I just want to have a text thread referencing the conversation that we had, I DO NOT WISH TO HAVE THE CAR REPAIRED until some sort of resolution has been presented by your management".

See my thought is this If your "master tech of 25 years hasn't heard about this particular issue (which seems rampant not just with our 20202 pilot but others as well,
not to mention the other Honda models that we discovered were experiencing the same failure, oh, and by the way, we simply typed crackling and popping noise in 2020 honda pilot and several websites popped up, pretty easy to discover and I have never worked as a master tech for Honda, Maby I should apply? did I miss my calling?) how can I find information so easily when after asking if there is a specific issue with this vehicle I was told: "not that they were aware of". suspicious.
I had the same problem on the Pilot Black edition 2020 - but only when I turn the engine off and listen to the radio. The crackling noise comes and continues even if I turn the radio off. To stop it, I have to open the door.
Happened to me twice

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
Sorry you guys are having trouble with the audio. That's very frustrating.

If you've had the same issue several times you should speak to a lemon law attorney.

I used to read his guy's articles on Jalopnik.com and he's often reached out to for legal advice by the other writers.

He's got a lot of content on his YouTube page. It'll help you understand more about your rights and lemon laws.

Steve Lehto

1 - 20 of 49 Posts