Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me some trial and error to get it done. First downloaded map and install, no response from head unit. Second try, same thing. Put USB back to PC and found out not enough space for map. Then formatted USB (16 GB as recommended ) and downloaded map again, it worked. After installing, I formatted USB just for next time. Not sure how many years we get free map update, thought some said five years. Those who know can contribute. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for the update. Just tried to install the new update and couldn't. Garmin Express states that no map update is available, even though it shows maps version 2020.10 and my system has version 2019.

I will try again later.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I used the My Garmin Express app to download what I thought was the latest map version because my car nav said there was an update. It actually was an update from the 2018.10 version it had on it to the 2019.11 version, but not the 2020 version I was expecting.

The other day I checked the Garmin site and there was a note on there that my map updates were good until 9/28/2024. So five years from when I did the first map update, not from when I purchased the car in February of this year.

I'll check later today or tomorrow and see if I can in fact get the 2020 version.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not sure if you format the USB and put it in the right hand side outlet (I have two right above the gear selectors area, just underneath the head unit), and go to settings, device, map update, to write the current map info on the USB first, then take the USB to pc and run Garmin Updater/Express. I had issues installing new maps in the last two updates due to these run arounds.
So if the five year free update is correct then this may have been the last one for me.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I formatted the USB to FAT32 quick format using my home computer, then put the USB into the port on the right side under the radio, the one used for Car Play or Android Auto. I got the current map info onto the USB from the car, then had to put the USB into my computer again and using Garmin Express have it add the USB and it then downloaded the new map. Sounds exactly like you have done, just make sure not to shut the car off when doing either step with the USB in the car.

After downloading from Garmin (took about 3 1/2 hours) it then took about 20 minutes in the car to download the "new" maps. Took a few more minutes after downloading and driving for the compass and map to show correct info.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Got the 2020.10 version installed!

Honda 7, my 2019 only has the one USB port under the radio so it's a little different than your setup. I have an additional USB inside the front of the console and some in the back of the rear HVAC control.

Just went through the process again and checked the Garmin site which showed a new update of maps to 2020.10. I did the steps of getting the info from the car (2019.11 shown as version) and downloading the new map version from Garmin. I did not check the car to see if it said anything about a update, just followed what the Garmin site said. The maps downloaded in under 1 hour this time. Installed the update in the car and my map version information has now gone from the previous update of about a week ago 2019.11 to this new version showing of 2020.10.

Some of the map information called One Shot or something in the car map information still shows 2019.11. The North American Map version and several other features shown in the map information page are showing the 2020.10 version. I don't know what or why the older 2019.11 still shows on some of the information, but it might just be some type of software that didn't change for the new version?

Any way, I should be set for another year and hopefully everyone else can now get the new 2020 version. I don't use the in car navigation much, but since these are free downloads no sense to not keep them up to date.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Upgraded mine tonight, now showing the 2020.10 map version.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Updated my GPS / mapping today:

Formatted my thumb-drive. Followed instructions on Honda website. Download into thumb-drive took +/- 90 minutes. Plugged into car and upload took +/- 20 minutes.

When done, screen said 2020 update successful. Following 9 page step-by-step instructions was very easy.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear many people got it updated. I am not too familiar with how the map system works, therefore can’t answer some of the questions posted here, and hope someone else can do that.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just checked my map version today and

under software I am finding version 2.05.09
under nav version I am finding 80.18

I don't see any of the prior versions such as 2020.10 which I had installed a few months ago! Not sure if somehow the versions changed for whatever reason, or if the nav was factory reset by the dealer when I had an oil change a couple of months ago.

What's showing on some of your map versions if you could post them here.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just checked my map version today and

under software I am finding version 2.05.09
under nav version I am finding 80.18

I don't see any of the prior versions such as 2020.10 which I had installed a few months ago! Not sure if somehow the versions changed for whatever reason, or if the nav was factory reset by the dealer when I had an oil change a couple of months ago.

What's showing on some of your map versions if you could post them here.
First I used a 32 GB flash drive even though it says use a 16 GB flash drive. Took about 5 seconds to download the Garmin info from the car onto the flash drive. Took about 45 minutes to download the 2020 update from Garmin Express and another 30 minutes to upload to my car. I get the same software version you get (2.05.09) and same nav version (80.18). These were also the versions before the update. Does anybody know hot to verify if you updated to the 2020 version?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Software versions you displayed are the operating system and navigation system versions.

To get Maps versions:
Press Map (open nav screen), then Settings, then Map & Vehicle, then myMaps. Should see OEM CN North America NT 20xx.x

·
Registered
152 Posts
Software versions you displayed are the operating system and navigation system versions.

To get Maps versions:
Press Map (open nav screen), then Settings, then Map & Vehicle, then myMaps. Should see OEM CN North America NT 20xx.x
That's it!

·
Registered
846 Posts

To get Maps versions:

Thank you. It had been several months since I checked the navigation version and I didn't do it completely correct. I checked only the software version as you stated and not the map versions. One good thing though is that I did download the maps again from the Garmin site and reinstalled them into the car today.

Last September when I had done it I had map version 2020.10 but some of the other information was still showing 2019.11 after the new install back then. Even though I had installed the new version in September today right before downloading into the car unit it said I had the 2019.11 version. Now after the new download today all of the information is showing 2020.10

The other day I had seen someone mention on the Passport forum that they had a mixed version of some of the information like I mentioned here. They had done a new download from Garmin and they now have all 2020.10 versions. That is why I checked my navigation information to begin with the other day and did the other download now.

Post #6 above is what I posted about the two different version numbers back in September.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts