Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up our 2020 EX-L and decided to go over some of the settings in the driveway. I pressed START to put in in accessory mode and immediately the LOW BATTERY LEVEL warning came on, with instructions to turn off accessory devices.
I have an ODB-II reader and app so I decided to check the levels myself. The voltage supplied to the OBD-II reader is 14.3V while running, and 12.9V when OFF...although I think this might have been 12.6V when I first got the reader working.
Does anyone know what the threshold is for LOW BATTERY to be signalled in accessory mode? I've never owned a vehicle that told me the battery was getting too low to run accessories.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's encouraging that your brand new car already thinks the battery is low

I will say that I have nuked my Honda batteries after only 20 mins of sitting in parking lot with the power on with kids watching DVD player. But those batteries were not brand new and I may have had the full power on rather than just the accessory

·
Registered
446 Posts
Battery may have not had a full charge on it from the dealer. And maybe the trip home wasn't long enough to complete the full charge. The system sensed it, and it might not just be voltage level condition.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2019 Pilot Touring thart I bought in September of 2019. Around December, I began seeing the warning "Battery Low Switch off all Lights and Electric Devices" when I went to start the car. I had the car at my mechanic for something else (nail and screw in tire that I believe came with the car) and they charged the battery for 3 hours. The next day, I got the warning again. Long story short, the dealer had the car for 2 days (investigating) and replaced the battery. I only had 1274 miles on the car. Today, 3/10/20, I went to start the car, and I got the Battery Low warning again. I don't drive the car every day, but, I never had trouble like this on my prior car (2007 4Runner that I had for 13 years). Anybody seeing an ongoing problem like this with the Pilot? It's very annoying. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had forgotten about this problem so I tried to reproduce it last night. I got in and pressed START without depressing the brake. No "low battery level" message, just "Accessory Mode", as should be expected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had our 2019 Pilot Touring in for an oil change yesterday. The car was purchased in October 2018 and has about 25000 miles. They said they ran a battery test and it was showing only 99 CCAs. We had not experienced any issues other than one time where the anti-theft system indicated it had lost power and needed to restart. Otherwise, no issues actually starting. We live in MN so get some cold temps that would tax a low battery. They replaced the battery under warranty. Hope this new one lasts longer than a year and a half because once it is out of warranty, those batteries are expensive ($325) without the labor to install. I have always replaced my own batteries, but they make this one more difficult by putting it behind plastic shrouding and encasing it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Same thing happens to me when I start the car without the engine. It says that for like 2-3 seconds, and then it just goes away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2019 Pilot Touring thart I bought in September of 2019. Around December, I began seeing the warning "Battery Low Switch off all Lights and Electric Devices" when I went to start the car. I had the car at my mechanic for something else (nail and screw in tire that I believe came with the car) and they charged the battery for 3 hours. The next day, I got the warning again. Long story short, the dealer had the car for 2 days (investigating) and replaced the battery. I only had 1274 miles on the car. Today, 3/10/20, I went to start the car, and I got the Battery Low warning again. I don't drive the car every day, but, I never had trouble like this on my prior car (2007 4Runner that I had for 13 years). Anybody seeing an ongoing problem like this with the Pilot? It's very annoying. Thanks.
I no longer see the warning on our 2020 EX-L when I turn on just the accessories. I expect this problem will come back at some point as the battery ages.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,644 Posts
Your problem is not uncommon when coming home with a new Honda these days. Unless you picked up the vehicle right off the truck the battery will have either drained naturally a bit while sitting, or more likely been drained by all the other lookers that fiddled with the vehicle before you bought it. Once you drive enough to get the battery topped up the low battery warning should go away. If it doesn't then there may be a parasitic battery drain.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your problem is not uncommon when coming home with a new Honda these days. Unless you picked up the vehicle right off the truck the battery will have either drained naturally a bit while sitting, or more likely been drained by all the other lookers that fiddled with the vehicle before you bought it. Once you drive enough to get the battery topped up the low battery warning should go away. If it doesn't then there may be a parasitic battery drain.
We had to drive it for about 2-3 weeks before the warning went away. Perhaps batteries need to be "conditioned" to reach optimum performance?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,644 Posts
A lot depends on your driving needs/habits. With all the electronics in vehicles these days short trips may not do anything more than keep the battery at the level it is at. The car runs on the battery and the alternator continually charges the battery. However if you are making short trips and using most if not all of the entertainment and climate control electronics added to all the built in electronic systems the charge rate may be minimal after you factor in the draw rate. That is why I try at least once every couple of weeks to drive for 15-20 minutes on the highway at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happened to my 2020 pilot battery died and they did diagnostics and nothing but a bad battery then the warning came back on after new battery but I will drive it a few more days before taking it back then, the dealer gave a print out of diagnostics that included parasitic drain test. All negative. So will give it few more days to see if it dies again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would try charging the battery, our 2 week old new Subaru battery died on us and left us stranded, 2 hr. wait for AAA and Subaru Emergency Service, so bummed a ride home and came back the next day. Another time we were using windshield wipers and defogger and killed the battery. No tell how long new cars sat on lots and were never run. I'm sure they don't check batteries before delivering the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts