Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone here awhile back posted asking about the computer mileage from the car computer vs manual calculation. And also with ECO on and off. I can't seem to find the post now. Anyhow I thought I'd put my first 6 month figures up.When I fill up, it's 90% of the time at the same gas station. Always level, and always a couple of clicks after auto shut off. It does appear that the car computer is a slightly generous.

Mileage chart for forum.jpg

·
Registered
421 Posts
For accurate mpg, hand calculating will give you best results. Honda's display will always estimate on the high side.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,381 Posts
Nice little app that will give you excellent data on mileage, driving habits etc. For a couple of bucks a year is is worth it, at least to me.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
43 Posts
whew.. at least now I know I'm not the only one doing this.. My wife doesn't fill up the gas at all on our 2 Hondas because I need the total mileage for the trip and then she needs to reset the counter. I've been using my excel sheet since 2008 to log my mpg and it's working well, at least to me. And this is what I observed too on my 2020 Pilot, the calculated mpg is always on the high side.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Manually calculated mpg will result in more accurate numbers but the Pilot computed mpg has some value. If the Pilot computed mpg is relatively consistent that tells me my Pilot is probably doing fine.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My 2019 has always shown .65-1.5 mpg higher in the car than with hand calculating.

I also use the Fuelly app but didn't have to pay for it. Found it online and installed on my home computer and my phone. The numbers shown in the app are the actual hand calculated. I also keep track of what the car showed for each fill up just to compare the two.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,381 Posts
This is what you get if you upgrade to the pro version... Upgrading to Pro!

With my 2013 Pilot the computed milage was a bit richer than the calculated mileage. With my 2020 Passport so far I have found that the computed mileage is nearly identical to the actual calculated mileage. I don't know if Honda made improvements to their system or if it is just the luck of the draw. Also my Pilot is brand new, things may change over time.

The one thing I did notice however is that all of the Honda's we have owned have the same quirk with the gas gage. It always read that it has slightly less fuel than is in the tank. Not a problem, especially since it will make sure the wife doesn't run out of gas. She likes the pretty little warning light apparently.

·
Registered
67 Posts
whew.. at least now I know I'm not the only one doing this.. My wife doesn't fill up the gas at all on our 2 Hondas because I need the total mileage for the trip and then she needs to reset the counter. I've been using my excel sheet since 2008 to log my mpg and it's working well, at least to me. And this is what I observed too on my 2020 Pilot, the calculated mpg is always on the high side.
A huge factor is how much idling time, either waiting for someone or stuck in heavy traffic, your still using gas so you have less gas mileage if your not adding mileage, plus in the low gears your not running efficiently. I reset mine before a long trip and note whether I was driving alone or with the weight of others for a true estimate based on all conditions. that is the only way to tell if your injectors are clean and the engine is running correctly. Also note what gas and grade I used on that MPG test.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is what you get if you upgrade to the pro version... Upgrading to Pro!

With my 2013 Pilot the computed milage was a bit richer than the calculated mileage. With my 2020 Passport so far I have found that the computed mileage is nearly identical to the actual calculated mileage. I don't know if Honda made improvements to their system or if it is just the luck of the draw. Also my Pilot is brand new, things may change over time.

The one thing I did notice however is that all of the Honda's we have owned have the same quirk with the gas gage. It always read that it has slightly less fuel than is in the tank. Not a problem, especially since it will make sure the wife doesn't run out of gas. She likes the pretty little warning light apparently.
I had a 2003 Pilot and now have a 2017 Pilot. The 2017 has the fuel mileage computer. I mostly drive on long trips, 900-2200 miles, and always manually track my gas mileage as well as note the computer reading. The computer consistently registers my average gas mileage 2 to 3 MPG better than the actual manually computed MPG. I have 75,000 miles on this car. In the beginning, the computer reading was 1.5 to 2 MPG higher than the actual. The error has crept up over time. I often drive on very long stretches of very straight roads (Florida, I-10, etc), and compare the odometer reading vs. the milepost distances. For some reason, on both my 2003 Pilot and the 2017, the odometer reads almost exactly 1% less than the actual miles driven. For 100 odometer miles, I travelled 101 actual miles. I have checked this several times and the results are the same. I calculate this into my MPG hand calculation, but the actual MPG are 2-3 MPG less than the computer. I also found that my mileage using mid-grade gas is at least 1-2% better than with 87 octane fuel. With 100% gas, it's a lot better. Maybe others have noticed similar situations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts